Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered what people thought about the news that a Dutch company, Mars One, is planning a project which will send a small group of people to Mars in an attempt to see how their bodies adapt and looking into the prospect of starting a human settlement on Mars.

There is a BBC News article here and the Mars One website here.

It looks really cool, but the application process is really select, and you aren't allowed to come back at all! So it's not something I'd be up for. A couple of my friends are interested though :rolleyes:... anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I think it sounds really interesting in principle. But you'd end up with some asshat like Snookie in the next pod, and the next 20 years would be unbearable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SebMurphy)
    I think it sounds really interesting in principle. But you'd end up with some asshat like Snookie in the next pod, and the next 20 years would be unbearable.
    Kill her then. No prisons on Mars.

ReputationRep:
    gives "you have been voted out of the house" a whole new meaning.

It's an interesting idea and hell if people want to do it i don't see why anyone should stop them.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very interesting. Apparently there are loads of people practically throwing themselves at the opportunity to leave Earth and never come home again. I wouldn't do it myself though - too much I like about this planet.

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting venture, considering that there is a possibilty of terraforming. However, let's hope some new scientific discoveries can come from this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Very interesting. Apparently there are loads of people practically throwing themselves at the opportunity to leave Earth and never come home again. I wouldn't do it myself though - too much I like about this planet.
    I'd do it for Earth Two in a different solar system, but not Mars.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'd do it for Earth Two in a different solar system, but not Mars.
    Provided the transport was reasonable. The nearest (potential) Earth-like planets are light-years away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Provided the transport was reasonable. The nearest (potential) Earth-like planets are light-years away.
    Indeed! :yep:

We need warp and/or FTL drives.

ReputationRep:
    I so would...

ReputationRep:
    I would not. There's too much stuff I haven't seen here to contemplate going to another planet and never coming back.

ReputationRep:
    I'd certainly do it. I've already seen *quite a lot* of Earth even though I'm young.

ReputationRep:
    Not for me. I'd guess after the initial 'wow' factor has gone, the dusty and desolate red planet would get rather tedious.

A whole life time of not seeing trees, wildlife and all that?

Not for me.

Anyway, the 'palestinians' will probably lay claim to it.

ReputationRep:
    This is the craziest idea for a reality TV show I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds very interesting however I wouldn't do it. I would only do it after it had been tested for a few years just incase something happened i.e. the building etc blowing up or something similar. I would miss Earth though and the UK. It would also depend on the people who you are stuck with as you will have to be in very close proximity to them all the time it would do my head in

ReputationRep:
    Lots of money is spent to see if there is life outside of this planet, when people within this planet are suffering, it's good that science is advancing everyday, but are some of these scientists for real? guess views on this won't change anytime soon.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.