The Student Room Group

How long before your exam do you "finish" revision?

As in, commit to long term memory, do the past papers etc. etc.
Just curious :biggrin:

Some people in my school have already completely revised and done past papers for a physics exam in 5 weeks time (we haven't even learnt all of it yet...), some are saying they finish it the day before the exam to keep it fresh in their heads!

I aim to finish my revision/consolidation of notes I made in Easter 2 weeks before the exam and then spend 2 weeks on past papers/practice etc (for sciences). And I end up not really feeling as if I'm doing much, just stuff in all my frees and then couple hours after school which is nice, but I do get everything done in time. For maths I just do practice questions all the time. Of course different subjects have different requirements! :biggrin:

So what about you guys?
Reply 1
just before I go in the exam room I flick through the entire textbook. Those people who are doing past papers when they haven't even finished the course don't sound very clever to me
Reply 2
im normally finishing it off as i step in to the exam hall
I never "finish". I always feel the need to constantly revise over things that I even already feel confident about. Some mild OCD or something haha!
I usually finish the revision for my exams a few weeks beforehand and in the weeks upcoming to the exams I just glance over the topics again and do past papers (like to keep things fresh in my mind). I like having the comfort of knowing that I'm prepared to the best of my ability a few weeks before, which gives me time to focus on my weakest area's instead.
Reply 5
About 5 mins, then I go take a poo.
Nah, I usually struggle to get through everything in all my subjects to be honest. Usually I get through most or all just in time like the night before and then panic and flick through everything like crazy. I find when I'm dead anxious about the exam the next morning, all the adrenaline basically commits everything to memory. If I was relaxed, I wouldn't be able to perform in an exam to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think I've ever been ready for an exam in my life, I've always wished that I had just one more week to prepare. I can't remember ever going into an exam feeling like I knew everything I was supposed to.
I'm starting my IB exams on 3rd of May and finish on 17th. I have 14 exams, spread over two weeks. I start with English B HL, which is that easy you don't have to revise anything, last one are 3 Chemistry HL exams which are hard and very important. Considering I'll have weekends and hours every day after one paper is finished, I don't think I'll stop revising till going into the room for my last exam.
I keep going over it until the day before the exam really. I have difficulty sleeping the night before an exam, so I try to stop revising at 5-ish the day before so I can use the evening to relax so I'm not as stressed when I go to bed.
Reply 10
I never finish revising. I keep revising till the last minute even when we are queing to inside the exam!
Day before I don't do anything and just chill. Nerves are a major part for me and revising to the last second make things worse..
Well for my AS's I'll finish making revision materials next week sunday.
I still revise after the exam so I can perform a horrific post-mortem
Last year when I was doing a levels you could never really finish until you got everything correct, so in that sense I never really finished, I would cover everything make sure I knew it by going over notes and doing past papers. The time where I don't do anything else is after I go into the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I don't understand how this girl in my year has learned everything and done past papers already. Of course she said she'll be looking through stuff, but she must be at her peak now and it seems hard to keep it up for 5 - 8 weeks :s-smilie:
Whereas it's easier to get the bulk of revision "done" later and be looking through notes and doing practice for a couple weeks instead.
Just shows how different we all are haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As I step into the exam hall and sit at my desk I'll still be going through important stuff in my head. Worked for my GCSEs, hopefully it'll work now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending