The Student Room Group

Speech on animal testing

Can someone check my speech about animal testing?
Is there anything I should change or improve?
(It's only supposed to be 1-2 minutes)

Animal testing:

Could you imagine being a defenceless little animal bred and born only to be cut open, injected and electrocuted until you die? 3.8 million Animals are being tested on in the UK alone; this is around 1 animal every 8 seconds.

Although we are told that the animals are treated with care and are not mistreated there are many reports showing the exact opposite, in fact they are mistreated in many cases, an example is when mice were being bred to carry a rare gene known as the ‘nude gene’, which means they don’t grow hair, only 50% of the babies actually inherit this gene, which means the other 50% are not useful to them and are killed in the most inhumane way as I quote from a reliable source (called vivisection) ‘by crushing their heads or hitting them against something hard’. After reading this I finally realised how atrocious animal testing is and I strongly believe that it should be stopped as soon as possible.
It is one thing using the animal to test new medicine, but for cosmetics it is completely unnecessary Animal testing is avoidable in most cases as there are many other ways of testing cosmetics and even new medicines that usually take less time than the crude and archaic tests that are carried out on the animals. Also recent research has shown that the results of these tests are rarely relevant to humans.
I think animal testing should be banned as there is clear evidence showing that animals are not being treated with any care or respect.

(This is my first draft for my English S+L)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Anyone? :redface:
Reply 2
:redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Dr.Wannabe
:redface:

This takes me back! I did a public speaking competition speech on this topic way back in year 11 or so.

A few tips:

- 'rare gene known as the 'nude gene' '
- 'reliable source' - What is this source? This sounds a bit vague.
- SP. 'stopped'
- 'recent research' - who did this research?

Animals are used to test lots of different kinds of things, and not all of these have viable alternatives, opponents would argue. You could research and draw out some of these distinctions. Some of the most controversial testing is done for cosmetics, which have nothing to do with medicine, so you could make a point that the medical necessity argument is invalid here.

Generally, it seems a bit short even for 2 minutes (try timing yourself), and could do with a bit more detail so you sound like you know what you're talking about!

Uth
Reply 4
Original post by uthred50
This takes me back! I did a public speaking competition speech on this topic way back in year 11 or so.

A few tips:

- 'rare gene known as the 'nude gene' '
- 'reliable source' - What is this source? This sounds a bit vague.
- SP. 'stopped'
- 'recent research' - who did this research?

Animals are used to test lots of different kinds of things, and not all of these have viable alternatives, opponents would argue. You could research and draw out some of these distinctions. Some of the most controversial testing is done for cosmetics, which have nothing to do with medicine, so you could make a point that the medical necessity argument is invalid here.

Generally, it seems a bit short even for 2 minutes (try timing yourself), and could do with a bit more detail so you sound like you know what you're talking about!

Uth

Thank you for the tips!
:biggrin:
Reply 5
No problemo! :biggrin:
i need some help for a speech on against animal testing and tips or help??????🤔
start with this: Could you imagine being a vulnerable small animal bred and born only to be cut open, injected and tested on until you die? 3.8 million Animals are being tested on in the UK alone; this is around 1 animal every 8 seconds.
Original post by Dr.Wannabe
Can someone check my speech about animal testing?
Is there anything I should change or improve?
(It's only supposed to be 1-2 minutes)

Animal testing:

Could you imagine being a defenceless little animal bred and born only to be cut open, injected and electrocuted until you die? 3.8 million Animals are being tested on in the UK alone; this is around 1 animal every 8 seconds.

Although we are told that the animals are treated with care and are not mistreated there are many reports showing the exact opposite, in fact they are mistreated in many cases, an example is when mice were being bred to carry a rare gene known as the ‘nude gene’, which means they don’t grow hair, only 50% of the babies actually inherit this gene, which means the other 50% are not useful to them and are killed in the most inhumane way as I quote from a reliable source (called vivisection) ‘by crushing their heads or hitting them against something hard’. After reading this I finally realised how atrocious animal testing is and I strongly believe that it should be stopped as soon as possible.
It is one thing using the animal to test new medicine, but for cosmetics it is completely unnecessary Animal testing is avoidable in most cases as there are many other ways of testing cosmetics and even new medicines that usually take less time than the crude and archaic tests that are carried out on the animals. Also recent research has shown that the results of these tests are rarely relevant to humans.
I think animal testing should be banned as there is clear evidence showing that animals are not being treated with any care or respect.

(This is my first draft for my English S+L)

This is amazing, I'm not great with the grammar but content wise this is great it is so persuasive and uses great emotive language!

Quick Reply

Latest