Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If You Were Offered A Space On A One-Way Trip To The Gliese 581 Star System.... Watch

• View Poll Results: Would You Accept The Offer?
    Yes.
    25.53%
    No.
    74.47%

ReputationRep:
    Much like the "Mars One" project, but slightly different with much greater incentives:

Say, a kind billionaire offered you a space on a one-way trip to the Gliese 581 star system (22 light years away) to set up the first human colony along with 5 other participants (equal gender ratio).

Contingent upon your acceptance of the offer, £100m in total will be paid to your estate/family/loved ones/spouse right before your departure (i.e. in 3 years time).

Spoiler:
    Show

JOURNEY AND DESTINATION DETAILS:

- After 1 year in space, all real-time contact with Earth will be lost with replies only reaching you after 2 months.

- After 2 years, all contact with Earth will be lost, leaving you and the other 5 participants alone out in space.

- The total journey time is 10 years overall (due to great advances funded by the aforementioned billionaire in liaison with US, Russian and Chinese government projects.).

- During the journey, only 3 people will be awake per every 6-month shift. When you are not on shift, you will be in stasis (i.e. for 6 months) until you're on shift again.

- Sexual intercourse on board is allowed; however, regular contraception is mandatory (and provided)to avoid impregnation during shiptime, as the starship only has provisions and energy etc for 6 people.

- After the 10 years of travel, you will set up a colony on a Gliese 581 planet that is most suitable (providing any is not of worse conditions than Mars) and explore the planet for the rest of your life until you die (there will be 3 women and 3 men in total and reproduction after 2 years of settlement is strongly encouraged when settled down.

- The other participants will be around your age or older, however, they will be exceptionally skilled and knowledgeable in space and planetary-related sciences. You are the only civilian specially selected.

- There is no way to return to Earth; the starship is only designed for one trip, although there are programmed detours travel past other planets in our solar system to gather data before leaving our solar system.

Would you accept?

Note - One of the risks of this mission is that there may be no suitable planets in the Gliese system or any planets comparable to Mars. In such an event, the ship is only able to travel 5 light years from the Gliese system (to any choice of your destination within 5 light years). Thereafter, the ship will just drift on forever. You only have ship provisions for 15 years journey time.

Note - The billionaire will be the additional 7th member, but he will be in stasis for the entire 10 year-journey and he will not be reproducing.

Note - If you do have success in Gliese, there is the remote possibility that should you live long enough, Earth might send other missions to Gliese in the decades ahead; but this is contingent on mankind's advancement.

ReputationRep:
    **** that. it'd be fun for about 5 minutes then the novelty of being on mars would wear off and you'd be like "...this was a stupid thing to do".
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nah, no guarantee that any of the planets is anywhere near habitable. Only seeing 5 other people (plus children) for the rest of my life seems pretty depressing. £100m is a lot more than I can hope to earn in my lifetime, but I'm not sure it's enough to replace me on Earth, either!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not - I would 100% regret it, the novelty would wear away. What if I didn't want to reproduce with the person there; i.e disliked/hated them
    Anyhow, even if I am getting paid so much I'm sure my family would rather have me on earth, I hope so anyway...

USING THE TSR APP
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I... Don't know. It would help my family a lot, and being the first to colonise a new planet would be incredible. But not being in contact with any other humans would be a pain in the arse. Hmm. This is a toughie.

ReputationRep:
    Is the billionaire coming? I'd question otherwise why he wants to spend all of that money on this project when he has no way of knowing whether it has worked, with contact being lost after 2 years and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    **** that. it'd be fun for about 5 minutes then the novelty of being on mars would wear off and you'd be like "...this was a stupid thing to do".
    You're not going to Mars. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Is the billionaire coming? I'd question otherwise why he wants to spend all of that money on this project when he has no way of knowing whether it has worked, with contact being lost after 2 years and all.
    He is, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Right so the gliese system is 22 light years away and the ship only has provisions for 15 years... so even if the ship can travel at the speed of light, I'll run out of food and water 7 years before we arrive. I think I'll pass.

ReputationRep:
    Without a second thought.

Even if everything goes wrong my family have £100m and I get to travel farther than any human ever has, my name will be in the annals of history and the worst of it is in 10 years or so (of my being 'awake') I have to top myself. Seems like a decent deal to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Definitely not - I would 100% regret it, the novelty would wear away. What if I didn't want to reproduce with the person there; i.e disliked/hated them
    Anyhow, even if I am getting paid so much I'm sure my family would rather have me on earth, I hope so anyway...

USING THE TSR APP
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    I... Don't know. It would help my family a lot, and being the first to colonise a new planet would be incredible. But not being in contact with any other humans would be a pain in the arse. Hmm. This is a toughie.
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Nah, no guarantee that any of the planets is anywhere near habitable. Only seeing 5 other people (plus children) for the rest of my life seems pretty depressing. £100m is a lot more than I can hope to earn in my lifetime, but I'm not sure it's enough to replace me on Earth, either!
    Interesting. So, contact with other humans is a major, major factor.

I noted in the OP about the remote possibility of other missions being sent to Gliese in the decades after you've gone, but this might not be enough to sway your minds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Without a second thought.

Even if everything goes wrong my family have £100m and I get to travel farther than any human ever has, my name will be in the annals of history and the worst of it is in 10 years or so (of my being 'awake') I have to top myself. Seems like a decent deal to me.
    You'll actually only be awake for 5 years, due to the 6-month-shift arrangement and even then, you'll only be "awake", as in not in stasis, for 6 months at a stretch.

But yes, there will be the monetary honours and also other several honours such as having your name in history and statues in several major capitals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    He is, yes.
    Okay.

10 people on the ship, and I choose two of them, and you've got yourself a deal.

Will we take any animals with us?

What will we eat for the rest of our lives?

How will we build things once on the new planet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hungergeist)
    Right so the gliese system is 22 light years away and the ship only has provisions for 15 years... so even if the ship can travel at the speed of light, I'll run out of food and water 7 years before we arrive. I think I'll pass.
    You won't. As I stated, due to clandestine advances, ship journey time will be 10 years even though Gliese is 22 light years away. However, this was a one-time thing. It will take a decade or more (and even that's contingent on spending, willing donors, political climate and cooperation) to replicate the tech used to make the ship travel fast.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

I noted in the OP about the remote possibility of other missions being sent to Gliese in the decades after you've gone, but this might not be enough to sway your minds?
    Do you know what. **** it, I'd go. That's the most incredible thing anyone has ever done.

ReputationRep:

Nope, also - I need to talk to family face to face after a while, if get fed up and depressed if I couldn't and lived so far away

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    You'll actually only be awake for 5 years, due to the 6-month-shift arrangement and even then, you'll only be "awake", as in not in stasis, for 6 months at a stretch.

But yes, there will be the monetary honours and also other several honours such as having your name in history and statues in several major capitals.
    Does the fame you will get after you die outweigh the fact you may not enjoy yourself whilst there?

In my opinion, no

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    When I die, will by body be buried there?

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Okay.

10 people on the ship, and I choose two of them, and you've got yourself a deal.

Will we take any animals with us?

What will we eat for the rest of our lives?

How will we build things once on the new planet?
    No. It has been set at 6 people with the additional 7th being the majority donor (i.e. the billionaire who is overseeing everything). 10 people would be too much and there are not enough funds to build a bigger ship/accommodate ten humans.

The funds provided by the billionaire have been channeled to one-time novel tech which provides a small number of animals/plants etc which will only be opened having landed on the destination planet.

Food for the entire 10-year journey time will be provided as a result of advances aided by the aforementioned donor. There is additional tech to "grow" food in domed settlements (provided the state of the planet is not harsher than Mars).

If the state of the planet is not harsher than Mars, then domed settlements and similar derivatives will be used (housed within the ship, only to be removed on arrival). These domed structures will last for at least a century.

If the state of the planet is welcome and "Earth-like", whilst domes will still be available, they might not be needed. However, you do retain "suits" ample enough to protect you in environments no harsher than the environment of Mars.

ReputationRep:

Would I be awake for the 5 years assuming we didn't find a habitable planet? That's why I said 10 years

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.