Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All

Me and my lovely friend Nancy will both be starting PGCEs (Biology and Citizenship) in September in Bristol.

We have managed to secure a lovely house on Gloucester Road which is ideal for transport links around the city and onto the Motorway.

We have one double and one large single room available for rent with us from 1st August. The house is very big with a lovely big kitchen, living room and back garden perfect for BBQ's. There is plenty of on street parking for the drivers too!

We want to live with like minded people who can share the ups and downs of the PGCE but also people who enjoy a glass of wine (if that's your tipple) and good food of an evening.

The double will be in the region of £300 plus bills and the single around £225 plus bills, which will be shared between the four of us.

Please come back to me if you want any further information.

Thanks

Lisa (& Nancy)

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

If you're still looking for someone then I'd definitely be interested in the single room.

I'm going to be doing PGCE primary at UWE. Was planning on living alone so that I'd be able to deal with the massive workload that I've heard about...but then realised I would probably go crazy. So living with other PGCE students is probably the best deal!

Do you have any photos of the place? Also, I'm a guy- incase you were specifically looking to live with girls.
    You can send me a private message or email me if you like.

Joe

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

are the rooms in this house still available or no? I'm also on a PGCE to do biology at Bristol and am looking for somewhere to live with my best friend from home. This house sounds perfect but if the rooms are already taken that's fine!

Jenni x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlister)
    Hi there

are the rooms in this house still available or no? I'm also on a PGCE to do biology at Bristol and am looking for somewhere to live with my best friend from home. This house sounds perfect but if the rooms are already taken that's fine!

Jenni x
    Hi Jenni

Sorry but the rooms have been taken! feel free to contact us nearere the time and we can confirm again if you havent found anything!

Best of luck and possibly see you around campus next year!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys, I'm sorry I have seen this so late! I very last minute applied and got offered a place and so im in need of accom. Anyone in the same position as me? It would be great meet some poeple in the same situation as me

Thanks,

Jane

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Jane - where/what have you accepted? Still interested to meet up with people etc!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! UoB secondary geography for me. Yea it def would be nice to have some people to hang out with I guess you guys are just going to hope for the best that your placements are in bristol? Or what might you do if the placement is quite a drive away? Sorry for all the questions....just trying to figure stuff out!

Jane

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't drive so hopefully my placements will be close by! We both live in Bristol already so just naturally decided to get a house! had any luck?

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see. Well I don't have a car either so hopefully that will be the case for me too. I wonder if it is that simple!! I have looked at a few rooms on gumtree and spareroom etc and sent some messages to people. Its not so much as getting a house in Bristol is the problem, I just dont want to have to be paying rent for my house in bristol if in also staying in a b&b out in the sticks somewhere which I have heard cases of. Fingers crossed.

I'm still awaiting my pack arriving in the post to fill me in on things. Do you have any idea when we will find out about our placement location?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately we dot fine out until the week before the placement starts and of course the second placement we don't find out til Christmas.

From what I know we will be given a travel allowance if the school if far out and/or they try to put a driver and non driver in far away schools and expect to share lifts etc

Maybe try and find a 3/6 month contract?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll be leaving Bristol just before 9th Sept for a year in Exeter, doing PGCE.

Am looking for tenant for my flat, furnished, who would really look after it.

It'd be more expensive than a room, obviously, one bedroom, garden, kitchen, bathroom, extra loo.
    Washing machine, fridge., freezer, cooker.

Very close to Gloucester Road, 15 min walk to city centre, 25 min walk Clifton, buses from Gloucester Road go up to UWE very regularly, also 5 mins walk to Clifton buses.

Flat 2 mins from Co-op supermarket, lots of little local shops, butchers, fishmongers, grocers plus pubs, bars, cafes.

Pass on the word.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys so I'm still looking for a place. As you are from Bristol... Can you advise me of where are the best areas to live in? I want relatively close to uni and have nice cafes and stuff around it but also close to others....ideally not first years though. Any suggestions? I'm in need of advice!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest Gloucester Road, Cotham or Redland areas. If you have a bigger budget - go for Clifton and Whiteladies but it can be very pricey. I wouldn't worry about being too close to uni as we are there quite infrequently after the first month.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again, it's Chinaplate here, think have let my lovely flat to a couple, but if anyone still after a flat near Glos Road, get in touch in case it falls through. £700 ish total, it's a double bedroom.

As for where to live - agree with above! But Bristol's not a huge city so you won't be far from friends wherever you settle.

Horfield, Lockleaze, Easton, St.Pauls, Southville, all good places, a bit further out from uni. so will be cheaper but each has its quirky side.

CP

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! Another day of searching begins!

ReputationRep:
    Bit on the late side, but does anyone else still want a housemate? I'm starting a PGCE in Secondary English at UWE on the 9th of September (!) and the accommodation I'd originally planned has fallen through. If anyone has any leads let me know? In a bit of a bind as I need to find somewhere ASAP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RationalGlass)
    Bit on the late side, but does anyone else still want a housemate? I'm starting a PGCE in Secondary English at UWE on the 9th of September (!) and the accommodation I'd originally planned has fallen through. If anyone has any leads let me know? In a bit of a bind as I need to find somewhere ASAP!
    Really sorry to hear your accommodation has fallen through. My house is full at the moment but UWE students union has a letting agency (no fees for students as far as I am aware) which is currently 'buddying up' people in need of accommodation. Try ringing them on 0117 328 6600.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisadee88)
    Really sorry to hear your accommodation has fallen through. My house is full at the moment but UWE students union has a letting agency (no fees for students as far as I am aware) which is currently 'buddying up' people in need of accommodation. Try ringing them on 0117 328 6600.

Ooh thanks, irritatingly it's a bank holiday now but I'll try them thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RationalGlass)
    Hey I'm In the exact same boat!!English PGCE @UWE was accepted through clearing not so long ago!!My fiancé is moving to Bristol with me from N.Ireland and we have yet to find a place!Does anyone know of any one bed furnished apartments available anywhere we area icing over on the 4th and we are panicking to say that least!!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, hello new friend! When I was looking I used rightmove loads, but call the number instead of emailing or filling out the form, as they tended to ignore emails. If you have them on the phone it's harder for them to ignore you The properties
    available changed every day and were often taken within hours, before they'd gotten online, so it's also worth ringing the estate agent and asking. My partner and I had very good service from Martin and co., if that helps?

I'm still looking for somewhere but only until placement starts on the 14th Oct, as my partner is staying at home in Wales so I'm being a bit more flexible about where I can be sent... hopefully that'll work :s

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.