Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    k brahs

I'm skinny fat atm
    Should I start off with HIIT, to get the fat down, then do starting strength?

or go straight in?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    k brahs

I'm skinny fat atm
    Should I start off with HIIT, to get the fat down, then do starting strength?

or go straight in?

thanks
    go straight into starting strength, but add some cardio as well. Eat at a small calorie deficit to lose some weight, and then eventually you can slowly up them into a surplus and start gaining some muscle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    go straight into starting strength, but add some cardio as well. Eat at a small calorie deficit to lose some weight, and then eventually you can slowly up them into a surplus and start gaining some muscle
    What will the effects of SS+cardio over 10 weeks be?

Would I lose the fat, and gain some muscle, because I'm eating at a deficit.

ReputationRep:
    What will the effects of SS+cardio over 10 weeks be?

Would I lose the fat, and gain some muscle, because I'm eating at a deficit.
    Well I did ss+cardio+deficit and lost loads of fat, gained strength and put on a little muscle. The muscle is quite minimal but a little bit more muscle coupled with fat loss will shape your body quite nicely. And of course once you get to a fat level you are happy with, you can start gaining some more muscle on a surplus

ReputationRep:
    Well I did ss+cardio+deficit and lost loads of fat, gained strength and put on a little muscle. The muscle is quite minimal but a little bit more muscle coupled with fat loss will shape your body quite nicely. And of course once you get to a fat level you are happy with, you can start gaining some more muscle on a surplus
    Right, so it seems there's no real advantage to going with HIIT by itself. May as well do SS...

Ok. I've worked out my BMR, but I need to work out my daily activity to multiple by BMR by a certain ratio

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

Right now, I'm sedentary, but should I choose the ratio of exercise I will be doing i.e. 3-5 times a week, if not, everyday?

Then cut off 15-20% calories to maintain a deficit?

ReputationRep:
    Right, so it seems there's no real advantage to going with HIIT by itself. May as well do SS...

Ok. I've worked out my BMR, but I need to work out my daily activity to multiple by BMR by a certain ratio

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

Right now, I'm sedentary, but should I choose the ratio of exercise I will be doing i.e. 3-5 times a week, if not, everyday?

Then cut off 15-20% calories to maintain a deficit?
    I just keep it as sedentary to be on the safe side, but also just use the number generated from this calculator as a starting point as they tend to be crude estimates. Weigh yourself, stick to the calories from the calculator for a week, then weigh yourself again and check for any adjustments. If you lose weight then great, stick to those, if not decrease your calories by 200 and repeat. A deficit of 500 is usually sensible to lose about 1lb a week.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

I just keep it as sedentary to be on the safe side, but also just use the number generated from this calculator as a starting point as they tend to be crude estimates. Weigh yourself, stick to the calories from the calculator for a week, then weigh yourself again and check for any adjustments. If you lose weight then great, stick to those, if not decrease your calories by 200 and repeat. A deficit of 500 is usually sensible to lose about 1lb a week.
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    x
    Starting strength vs http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw...&CJPID=6146900 (Ravadangon's workout)

Which one should I choose, bearing in mind now I'm losing body fat, but want to start lifting and just get a more muscly, toned body.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do whichever you enjoy more. Seriously.

Strength training is probably better overall for physique but true HIIT i.e. sprints (not jog a minute then jog slowly a minute x10 type intervals) is also pretty good for the physique.

I mean, weight training is just a particular form of HIIT

ReputationRep:
    Starting strength vs http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw...&CJPID=6146900 (Ravadangon's workout)

Which one should I choose, bearing in mind now I'm losing body fat, but want to start lifting and just get a more muscly, toned body.

Thanks
    If you just want to look muscly then you'll want to go for the hypertrophy workout over starting strength.

SS is good for strength gains but not good for hypertrophy tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Ok.
    Is this good for a person who's done no exercise for basically ever, except for the obligatory weekly session at school.

3x 2000m on cycling machine, like a minute rest in between
    and 2000m as a warmup on rowing.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

Thanks
    Like Mark said choose whatever you enjoy more, but if you just want to get big, a hypertrophy routine would probably be better.

ReputationRep:
    Like Mark said choose whatever you enjoy more, but if you just want to get big, a hypertrophy routine would probably be better.
    Ok.

But isn't that the opposite of what Motorbiker said?

ReputationRep:
    Ok.

But isn't that the opposite of what Motorbiker said?
    Nope, it's the same.

Hypertrophy routine is the bodybuilding.com one which is best for building muscle.

Starting Strength is not suitable for everyone as it's primarily a strength building routine which will not make as much aesthetic differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Nope, it's the same.

Hypertrophy routine is the bodybuilding.com one which is best for building muscle.

Starting Strength is not suitable for everyone as it's primarily a strength building routine which will not make as much aesthetic differences.
    Myofibrillar/sarcoplasmic hypertrophy do not occur independantly of each other like people so often claim in the fitness community. This myth that if you do >8 reps, you'll build "bulky but useless" muscle and if you do <5 reps you'll build "dense and functional" muscle is completely false, muscle density is genetic and increase in sarcoplasm size (glycogen storage and water retention) accounts for a tiny part of overall muscle size.

Starting strength will get you bigger and stronger OP... I'd say stick to the weight training initially and bulk up for atleast 6 months or so before you consider cutting

ReputationRep:
    Okay final opinion.

Advantages and disadvantages of SS and the bodybuilding.com routine?

Bear in mind I do NOT want to get massive, firstly, I'll be doing cardio and some weights to cut the body fat, then after I'm guessing I stop the cardio and just do weights.

I just want a defined, toned body.

Like this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIpDdCBCMAAvptM.jpg:large

soz for the hollister pic lol

ReputationRep:
    Okay final opinion.

Bear in mind I do NOT want to get massive, firstly, I'll be doing cardio and some weights to cut the body fat, then after I'm guessing I stop the cardio and just do weights.

Like this

They're both pretty much the same, you'll probably see a bit more strength gains on SS but not by much, and overall muscle gain will be pretty much identical. So do whichever one you prefer, IMO SS is a great one for beginners (you could modify it a little bit if you want to do some isolation work as well).

No particular routine is going to get you "massive" over another one, that simply takes years of consistent training.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll go with ss - it seems tried and tested, and I've heard it a lot

thanks guys.

More advice:

I read that you need rest days for the muscles to grow. If I do cardio in those "rest days" then will that effect my gains, muscle development?

ReputationRep:
    I read that you need rest days for the muscles to grow. If I do cardio in those "rest days" then will that effect my gains, muscle development?
    no

ReputationRep:
    If you're skinny fat it would be far better for you to bulk on a small surplus and do a full body routine 3x a week. You would still lose fat and your strength/size gains would be much better over the next 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    Okay final opinion.

Like this

The worst thing you can do is to pontificate and overthink about what is the most optimal kind of training you can do.

Just start off and do something and refine it as you go along. When you start off totally untrained, anything is going to help you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.