Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The New Zealand parliament passed marriage equality into Kiwi law today, and the MPs broke into spontaneous song and dance.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...arliament.html

(video further down page)

ReputationRep:
    Awesome . Nice to see center - right prime ministers pushing through liberal social legislation. Bodes well for the progression of civil rights movements in both the UK and Australia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Awesome . Nice to see center - right prime ministers pushing through liberal social legislation. Bodes well for the progression of civil rights movements in both the UK and Australia
    With marriage equality a certainty in the UK, already in existence in Canada, now passed in New Zealand and in many states, the country of my birth (Australia) is looking ever more out of touch.

To me, it's very disappointing that the unmarried, female atheist leader of the Labor Party is wed (pardon the pun) to such an outmoded conception of marriage.

Then again, being a Labour man myself, I can say that I'd rather Labor won the September election than introduced gay marriage. As a party it is heavily reliant on the ethnic political machines of Western Sydney, and these sections of the party will not tolerate marriage equality.

ReputationRep:
    This is great news.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Excellent news for couples in New Zealand. Once again love prevails.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad that this has occured. 1up New Zealand.

ReputationRep:
    Good news.

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

Good for New Zealand. Hopefully the UK will follow soon.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.