Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M157 - Motion to Commemorate Sir Robert Edwards Watch

• Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    M157 - Motion to Commemorate Sir Robert Edwards, TSR Liberal PartyThis House pays tribute to Sir Robert Edwards, the IVF pioneer who died last week aged 87. Along with others involved in developing IVF, he brought happiness and joy to millions of people all over the world by enabling them to have children. This House commemorates his historic contribution to science and medicine.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Aye. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely aye from me!

ReputationRep:
    Why are these motions and not statements. Arghhhh.

I agree though.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    I could have sworn we got rid of early day motions many moons ago. As much as we can be grateful for the work undertaken by Sir Robert, I kinda wish the speaker would put a stop to these things. Strings of "aye" or "nay" posts are a bit of a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously can we stop submitting motions that don't do anything.

ReputationRep:
    There should be some rule stipulating that if motions aren't even a little controversial than they're not allowed.

EDIT: No, but seriously, who would say No to this other for the lulz? Like, of course people will commemorate him. It's like asking someone if they appreciate kindness or admire virtue. It's really not worthy of being a motion. Motions are suppose to provoke debate.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I could think of to be bothered about this motion would be if it more explicitly encouraged a debate on IVF. As it is, it's pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Wow you lib dems controversial as ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsplaya)
    Wow you lib dems controversial as ever.
    God, rsplaya, they're not democratic any more. How many times does it have to be pointed out? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    God, rsplaya, they're not democratic any more. How many times does it have to be pointed out? :rolleyes:
    Okay the lib undems. These guys are guys that deserve state funerals they aren't divisive at all. Not like the big bad politicians that try to change things.

ReputationRep:
    who?

ReputationRep:
    Why should we commerate someone for creating the my baby anti-adoption culture? You could you he brought misery to many children forced to grow up without parents as they'd created test tube babies.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, though the motion itself is rather pointless as already mentioned.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Last year there were 91,677 children in care in the UK, so it's not as if there's a shortage of children to bring people joy - unless you think that adopted children are somehow less valuable to parents than biological children, which is of course nonsense. I respect the man as a scientist, but I don't like the line about 'bringing happiness and joy', which I think unintentionally devalues the relationships between parents and their non-biological children.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain as this seems pointless to me; we don't have to commemorate every single public figure.

ReputationRep:
    Credit where credit is due - so yes

ReputationRep:
    Abstain as this is a pointless motion which brings little debate. As much as I appreciate his research, there are many out there who has contributed equivalent or better to medicine and science, are we going to have to vote on the research from every single character? Also, in response to the debate about Sir Robert Edwards bringing a 'my baby anti-adoption culture', it is one thing adopting someone else's child and learning to love and bond with it as your own, but it is completely different to experience pregnancy, developing that special bond and give birth to your own child and such an experience that many women could not have if it wasn't for IVF. But as mentioned, it's such a pointless motion and I feel by voting in agreement with it will only encourage more pointless motions to be brought forward.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.