Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 27 in August and after a good look round and some serious thinking I've decided to take up learning again. I have reasonable gcse's Science B/B Maths C and English C Geography B, I have not done anything really academic since leaving school so have probably forgotten most of it so i'm a bit worried. I was looking at doing the science,maths,technology access course with OU then if i got on ok progressing on to the environmental science degree. My main concern is do you think the degree is a bit out of my league based on my gcse's and no schooling since then, i was going to get some gcse revision books to brush up on maths and english before doing the access course which would start in October.

Any advice would be great, maybe on alternative science course's if you think this would be a tad tough , science is the area i wish to study but i'm unsure of what i really want to do at the end specifically but environmental science seems the one that interests me the most and i think would have a good variety of job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen regarding the OU you can do a level 1 course to start with which is designed to ease you back into learning so definitely look into those. How do you feel about juggling life/work/uni? I once tried the OU but found that I struggled a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I thought about the time i'd have to give up, i think i'll be alright, i have no children and plenty of spare time in the evenings and weekends.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Have you tried the quiz?

The Access modules are designed so that no special knowledge is needed - so you won't need to know anything specifically about science and technology. However, your idea of brushing up on maths is great! You won't need anything too in depth as they'll teach you everything complicated, but it would be a good idea to learn how to use a calculator (sounds simple, but if you've got a scientific one it can be confusing at first) and probably work on percentages and fractions.

You'll be sending assignments online, so you need to know how to create a Word (or whatever software you use) document, save it, and submit it. You submit online so can't practise that atm, but it's a bit like adding an attachment to TSR or an email. Make sure you can send emails as that will be one of the ways you contact your tutor. It may be beneficial to be able to insert pictures, graphs etc into a Word document, but that may not be part of your course.

The OU produce some good study guides which aren't essential (I've never read them and I'm finishing soon) but may help - especially if you can borrow them from a library. They do one on preparing assignments and some that are subject specific too.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's some great information Juno thanks! I'm just quizzing myself now
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Looking at the course description, I think basic computing skills are going to be the main thing you'll need in advance. You're clearly able to log onto websites as you use TSR. The course has iCMAs which are interactive assignments, so are you confident in doing something like this and this? It's not the content that matters, it's whether you can click in the right place and follow instructions. There are also online activities which will require you to log onto the OU site and navigate to various bits. You'll be sent a DVD, so can you watch a DVD either on your computer or elsewhere? Do you have somewhere to sit so that you can watch a DVD and take notes? You'll get hints on the actual notetaking part - which bits are important to note down etc - so it's more the actual act of watching, rewinding, scene selection etc.

Also, you'll need to know how to install software - probably not for this course, but if you carry on with the OU it's something you'll come across.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not to bad when it comes to computers, installing software and navigating around a web page and very confident with the stuff you showed me on the links.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Then you're all set!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.