The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
India wonders if the USA has read every page of that report?

I myself have not read the entire report but I'm certain that my colleagues in a subdivision of the Department of State have read, analysed and verified that accuracy of the report.
Reply 21
aiman
I myself have not read the entire report but I'm certain that my colleagues in a subdivision of the Department of State have read, analysed and verified that accuracy of the report.

:toofunny:

Indonesia admires the tenacity of the United States.
Reply 22
aiman

:rofl: Nice one aiman. :wink:
Reply 23
Nightowl
I would have thought India would rush to defend one of its gas suppliers, $1bn trade partner, and one of its closest allies.

As we said, India will remain apathetic at this moment in time.
Reply 24
NightOwl's point was that you should be supporting Myanmar or at least trying to defend their actions, instead of remaining neutral though.
Reply 25
NightOwl's point was that you should be supporting Myanmar or at least trying to defend their actions, instead of remaining neutral though.

It's very difficult to defend what Myanmar has done.
Reply 26
Understandably so, but still possible. They've done it themselves.

(Issues like being busy with the shifting of the administrative capital, internal social probllems like flooding in the southern regions etc.)

Not that I support Myanmar at all, but it's possible to convey their reasons for acting as such.
Reply 27
The UK understands that the UN Undersecretary-General for Political Affairs will soon be briefing the UNSC on developments in Burma. We look forward to a a more thorough understanding of the issue. Preliminary indications state that Myanmar is willing to embrace change (what's new?), but we'll see about that.
Reply 28
The RSA wonders what basis America has for criticising other regimes for holding prisoners, when cam x-ray is still open and other prisoners may or may not be held in secret facilities elsewhere.

We think the USA should take this opportunity to look to itself. Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.
Reply 29
Indonesia understands and acknowledges the RSA's valid concerns.
Reply 30
Ethereal
The RSA wonders what basis America has for criticising other regimes for holding prisoners, when cam x-ray is still open and other prisoners may or may not be held in secret facilities elsewhere.

We think the USA should take this opportunity to look to itself. Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

We do not believe that parallels cannot be drawn between our prisons and what is happening in Myanmar.
Our prisons (Guantanamo, etc. no the normal ones), hold terrorists that have threatened the lives of our citizens and allies. We keep the number of people in such prisons to a bare minimum. We are working proactively towards decreasing the number of detainees.
Our prisons do not hold Nobel Peace Prize lauretes, along with thousands of politicians that pose no physical threat to the citizens or the country.
Also, we request that claims about alleged "secret facilities' not be made without any collaborating evidence.
Reply 31
The rep from the US has made the mistake of elivating his country's judgement above that of others. Just because the USA considers these people dangerous, does not mean they are. Nor does it deprive them of fundamental rights.

Camp X-ray is an inhumane facility established in order to further your President's political ideal.

As for my reference to secret facilities, your request is a smoke screen. My original comment included the caveat "which may or may not". If I could prove beyond doubt they existed they would not be very secret would they?

The RSA again requests the USA looks to its own mess, and disastrous foreign policy, before telling other countries how they should conduct themselves with regards internal matters.
Reply 32
Ethereal
The rep from the US has made the mistake of elivating his country's judgement above that of others. Just because the USA considers these people dangerous, does not mean they are. Nor does it deprive them of fundamental rights.

Camp X-ray is an inhumane facility established in order to further your President's political ideal.

As for my reference to secret facilities, your request is a smoke screen. My original comment included the caveat "which may or may not". If I could prove beyond doubt they existed they would not be very secret would they?

The RSA again requests the USA looks to its own mess, and disastrous foreign policy, before telling other countries how they should conduct themselves with regards internal matters.

We have not elevated our opinion of 'dangerous'. These detainees have attacked/attempted to attack either our country or a number of our citizens? Would the RSA not classify these are being dangerous?
The detainees are not deprived of fundamental rights. We do not have political prisoners.
We requested that if the 'secret detainee centers' cannot be proved, please do not mention them.
Our foreign policy is fantastic, we find no shortcomings or seams in it. We rebuke Myanmar for clearly violating the International Covenants on Human Rights, and the Geneva Convention.
Reply 33
The representative for the USA has clearly elivated his country beyond the status it deserves. As we have said before, it would be impossible to prove you have secret facilities. However, this does not prevent us from saying we believe you do. I would ask you prove you do not. In doing so, I would also ask you explain the alledged movement of prisoners through UK airports.

Furthermore, the "attempted attack" on your citizens remains unproven. The RSA notes these prisoners are held without trial, something you seem to condem elsewhere.

Your foreign policy is not fantastic, and has demonstrably caused bloodshed. The RSA rebukes the representative for the USA in the strongest possible terms for his inability to recognise his own country's failings.

We are mindful to draw his attention to the old adage; as ye sow, so ye shall reap.
Reply 34
Ethereal
The representative for the USA has clearly elivated his country beyond the status it deserves. As we have said before, it would be impossible to prove you have secret facilities. However, this does not prevent us from saying we believe you do. I would ask you prove you do not. In doing so, I would also ask you explain the alledged movement of prisoners through UK airports.

Furthermore, the "attempted attack" on your citizens remains unproven. The RSA notes these prisoners are held without trial, something you seem to condem elsewhere.

Your foreign policy is not fantastic, and has demonstrably caused bloodshed. The RSA rebukes the representative for the USA in the strongest possible terms for his inability to recognise his own country's failings.

We are mindful to draw his attention to the old adage; as ye sow, so ye shall reap.

We, and especially not I, have not elivated the U.S's position, any higher than it currently stands.
We acknowledge the strongest of rebuke and will definitely discuss this this summer, when we meet your head of state.
Our foriegn policy is not subject to the RSA's approval.
As to your inquiry about moving prisoners through the UK Airports, I am authorised to inform you that we are transferring some of our prisoners to Germany.

Thank you for your concerns and rebukes. We will consider the RSA's opinions at an appropriate time.

If you have any further concerns or statements, feel free to direct them to us in this thread.
Reply 35
http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=99290
Rangoon (dpa) - Burma's military authorities were seen entering the compound of opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi Friday night on what was believed to be a mission to extend her house arrest order, despite appeals for her immediate release by the United Nations chief, informed sources said.

The news could not be officially confirmed, but if true, the development would prove a major snub to United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan who on Friday issued a statement in Bangkok appealing to Burma's ruling junta to release Suu Kyi.

Military officers entered Suu Kyi's compound, where the Nobel Peace Prize laureate has been under arrest for the past three years, at 5:00 p.m. (5:30 p.m. Thailand time) and reportedly extended her imprisonment for a still unknown time period, sources close to the regime said.

The military's last six-month extension of her house arrest was due to expire on Saturday.

Suu Kyi, leader of the opposition National League for Democracy (NLD) party, has spent 10 of the past 16 years under house arrest.

"For the democratic process and the reconciliation process to be truly successful, it has to be inclusive, and she has a role to play, and I'm relying on you, General Than Shwe, to do the right thing," said Annan in a statement made in Bangkok, where the UN chief was on the last leg of a two-week visit to Asia.

Last week, in a rare show of cooperation with the international community, Than Shwe allowed visiting UN Undersecretary General for Political Affairs Ibrahim Gambari to meet Suu Kyi in the Burma capital Rangoon. It was the first visit Suu Kyi had been allowed in two years, other than weekly visits by her doctor.

"I believe her release will facilitate national dialogue and allow the National League for Democracy to participate in that dialogue," Annan said.

The NLD, led by Suu Kyi, won the 1990 general election by a landslide but has been blocked from political power for the past 16 years.

Burma's self-styled State Peace and Development Council, as the junta calls itself, has maintained that a new constitution must be drafted before civilian rule can be allowed in the country, which has been under military rule since 1962.

The NLD has boycotted the constitution-drafting process, which has thus far taken 15 years, as a sham designed to keep the military in power.

If the above news is confirmed, the United States will start a resolution.
Reply 36
The United States is pleased at the incentives package being offered to Myanmar. It hopes that it accepts this offer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501939.html
Reply 37
aiman
The United States is pleased at the incentives package being offered to Myanmar. It hopes that it accepts this offer.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501939.html

Any chance you could post the full text here? It requires a username/password.
Reply 38
Denmark wishes to see the greater freedom and a more democratic Mynamar, but without the breach of it national sovereignty
Malaysia just wants things to be sorted out properly and the right thing done instead of regrets later on. *waggles finger* :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending