Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok I really want to compete in an U18 event but have a few questions and in general want to know if this is achievable? I'm currently 5'9 75kg. My current lifts are: (1RM)
    Bench - 80kg
    Squat 95kg
    Deadlift 135kg

What are the typical lifts to do well in a meet? 2,3,4 plate? Any routine I should specifically do (currently running SL) I'm adding 2.5kg majority of workouts for squat and bench and 5kg for deadlift however I know this progression will slow down. Any advice or questions you need to ask? Lastly should I keep a log?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nobody can really tell you when linear progression will stop for you and you will need to change up your programming. A big part of powerlifting is just who turns up. You can search for the results of local meets on the websites of federations such as the GBPF (the UK IPF affiliate) or the BPC. I would not worry about your actual total in terms of competing. It's an experience in itself and you will often pick up good technical corrections from other competitors/coaches present at the meet.

For my first meet I would want to do the following things:
    1) File all of my paperwork early (meet fee/entry/joining federation)
    2) Open reasonably low (you do not want to bomb out of your first meet)
    3) Don't worry about cutting weight unless it is extremely easy for you to do so
    4) Get comfortable lifting to the commands (rack/paused benching/not dropping your deadlifts etc)
    5) Rock up and enjoy the day

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to decide to compete in U75 or U82 but at any casual sort of meet you would not embarrass yourself with 2/3/4 plates in a U18 meet I should think .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    Nobody can really tell you when linear progression will stop for you and you will need to change up your programming. A big part of powerlifting is just who turns up. You can search for the results of local meets on the websites of federations such as the GBPF (the UK IPF affiliate) or the BPC. I would not worry about your actual total in terms of competing. It's an experience in itself and you will often pick up good technical corrections from other competitors/coaches present at the meet.

For my first meet I would want to do the following things:
    1) File all of my paperwork early (meet fee/entry/joining federation)
    2) Open reasonably low (you do not want to bomb out of your first meet)
    3) Don't worry about cutting weight unless it is extremely easy for you to do so
    4) Get comfortable lifting to the commands (rack/paused benching/not dropping your deadlifts etc)
    5) Rock up and enjoy the day
    Thanks il do SL then move to madcows when I hit 2/3/4 plates and see from there!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've not done a PL meet before, but I do compete in weightlifting, and my advice to you would be to just get stuck in! Don't wait to get certain numbers before you do a comp. It will be a really enjoyable experience that you learn loads from, so the sooner the better IMO. I did my first competition 2 months after starting weightlifting.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.