Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE English Language speech on something that I hate/annoys me Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all
    I have to write a speech on something that I really hate (for some random reason it's called a spleen talk) that I have to be able to talk for 5 minutes on (for example, people who go on and on and on about something and never shut up really drives me mad but I can't talk for 5 minutes on it).
    As I say there are lots of things that really annoy me but none I can talk for 5 minutes (in front of the rest of the class!!!) on.
    The only good ideas I have so far are:

Dogs (I know I'll be unpopular for this but they terrify me - I am not a dog person at all)
    Celebrities who are famous for nothing/tv presenters who pretend they know what they're on about and don't
    Adverts
    Top Gear
    General rudeness

So yeah - any good ideas / feedback on these ones would be great! Thanks
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ChocolateMelody)
    Hi all
    I have to write a speech on something that I really hate (for some random reason it's called a spleen talk) that I have to be able to talk for 5 minutes on (for example, people who go on and on and on about something and never shut up really drives me mad but I can't talk for 5 minutes on it).
    As I say there are lots of things that really annoy me but none I can talk for 5 minutes (in front of the rest of the class!!!) on.
    The only good ideas I have so far are:

Dogs (I know I'll be unpopular for this but they terrify me - I am not a dog person at all)
    Celebrities who are famous for nothing/tv presenters who pretend they know what they're on about and don't
    Adverts
    Top Gear
    General rudeness

So yeah - any good ideas / feedback on these ones would be great! Thanks
    Personally, I think the adverts topic has the most scope out of the options on that list. I'm not really sure how you could talk for 5 minutes on your fear of dogs and whilst I empathize with your hatred of top gear and general rudeness (not a huge amount of difference anyway) they're not hugely sophisticated topics and again, it's easy to run out of things to say. There's a lot to say about celebrity culture but it's a very cliché topic; a lot of young people vent their anger on that topic (or at least they claim to be angry about it).

Advertising is a brilliant topic because it's so deep. There is a huge amount to advertising if you research it properly. An interesting (and topical) point is the fact that advertisers purposely target children because they know that they're vulnerable and exploit something called the 'nag factor': the idea that since a lot of parents want to make their children happy, if an advert makes a child nag their parents for the product enough, they'll give in and buy it. A lot of adverts also use children and babies to appeal to peoples' innate sense of family and community but also to make people feel guilty: adverts present the idea of a perfect family which depends on buying their product.

You can also talk about the impact of advertising on the self esteem of girls which has also come into the news a lot recently. Obviously, all of the models in television adverts are perfect in every manner through the wonders of airbrushing and other digital effects (as well as being over-sexualised) which has been found to have a very negative impact on the self esteem of teenage girls who feel they have to live up to these expectations.

Of course, the crux of the entire argument is the fact that the point of advertising is to subconsciously trick you into giving the advertiser money. Whilst a lot of companies 'dress up' their adverts by making them funny, outrageous or 'friendly', the raw motive behind them is still making money. The fact that it's all an illusion (and a cruel one at that) to drive the wealth of the advertiser is by itself arguably immoral.

Obviously, there's much more to say on it but I hope I've given you a rough idea of what you can discuss!

ReputationRep:
    Do it about a TV show, I didn't do a speech but I did a creative writing task about how much I hate Big Brother (EVEN THOUGH I REALLY LOVE IT) and I got full marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Personally, I think the adverts topic has the most scope out of the options on that list. I'm not really sure how you could talk for 5 minutes on your fear of dogs and whilst I empathize with your hatred of top gear and general rudeness (not a huge amount of difference anyway) they're not hugely sophisticated topics and again, it's easy to run out of things to say. There's a lot to say about celebrity culture but it's a very cliché topic; a lot of young people vent their anger on that topic (or at least they claim to be angry about it).

Advertising is a brilliant topic because it's so deep. There is a huge amount to advertising if you research it properly. An interesting (and topical) point is the fact that advertisers purposely target children because they know that they're vulnerable and exploit something called the 'nag factor': the idea that since a lot of parents want to make their children happy, if an advert makes a child nag their parents for the product enough, they'll give in and buy it. A lot of adverts also use children and babies to appeal to peoples' innate sense of family and community but also to make people feel guilty: adverts present the idea of a perfect family which depends on buying their product.

You can also talk about the impact of advertising on the self esteem of girls which has also come into the news a lot recently. Obviously, all of the models in television adverts are perfect in every manner through the wonders of airbrushing and other digital effects (as well as being over-sexualised) which has been found to have a very negative impact on the self esteem of teenage girls who feel they have to live up to these expectations.

Of course, the crux of the entire argument is the fact that the point of advertising is to subconsciously trick you into giving the advertiser money. Whilst a lot of companies 'dress up' their adverts by making them funny, outrageous or 'friendly', the raw motive behind them is still making money. The fact that it's all an illusion (and a cruel one at that) to drive the wealth of the advertiser is by itself arguably immoral.

Obviously, there's much more to say on it but I hope I've given you a rough idea of what you can discuss!
    Thanks for all this! I was really tempted to go with the adverts idea because as you said there is so much I could talk about and it's something everyone can relate to. But my teacher was really keen on the celebrity idea - exactly why, I'm not sure - so I have to go with that one now (I did write a speech on that for a public speaking competition a couple of years ago so it shouldn't be too hard to do). The rudeness and top gear bit made me laugh

ReputationRep:
    Ah I had to do this. I did it on facebook, I think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.