Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sterling Moss says women don't have the mental strength for F1 Watch

• TSR Support Team

TSR Support Team
    What do you all reckon with what Sterling Moss says about women not having the mental strength for F1, I think one day we are likely to see a female F1 driver make it at least in a lower team which is what Bernie is suggesting later on in the article.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22083547

ReputationRep:
    It's no coincidence that women are much lower down in every single professional sport, physical or not.

ReputationRep:
    I think we will see a woman in F1 in the next decade, but Susie Wolff getting a chance would do more harm than good for women in motorsport. She is not there on merit and I believe she would qualify behind even the Marussias and Caterhams.

Maybe Beitske Visser (recently signed to Red Bull) will have the potential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    It's no coincidence that women are much lower down in every single professional sport, physical or not.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be interesting to see the consensus here. It seems in most sports women are lower in the ranking. Is that due to natural inability or less opportunities given to them by society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    I'd never have guessed this was a bloke

ReputationRep:
    I think women are genetically inferior to men in sport. Pretty much all the world records in sports are set by men.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a weird because women drivers are often casually saying how they're smoother than men etc. and making such-like gender generalisations and nobody bats an eyelid. Yet if it's the other way around it's becomes wholly offensive.

I don't know about the mental strength needed to race in F1, I suspect only those who have actually raced in F1 can know...seeing as it's difficult (practically impossible) to gauge mental strength. But from a neurological stand point the male and female minds have differences, that's scientific fact.

I was recently reading this article http://badgergp.com/2013/04/can-wome...erspective-f1/

Talks about how neurologists can distinguish different patterns between male and female drivers. They go on to talk about how because of the testosterone levels in men they are more likely to 'seek revenge' on the track (with reference to the Maldonado-Hamilton at Spa incident).

I just thought if this is for real then can they also say, for example, that the oestrogen levels in women makes them submissive on the track (or some BS of that nature).

I personally think women can compete in motorsport, but F1 is a total beast and (imo) an exception. Stopwatch never lies though, if there's a woman fast enough then it would be cool to see one in F1.

Susie Wolff however is the absolute worst person to be doing it. Not particularly fast, not successful, bordering on mediocre...and to be getting the gig because of her husband is the worst way to be doing it. Also she'll be used as a reference in arguments for women in F1 and it will be one that loses the argument for women, because she's rubbish.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by nulli tertius)

This doesn't represent the physical and mental strength that F1 drivers go through.

ReputationRep:
    Old people saying old crazy things? Surprised it's made into such a huge deal.

Frankly, if you count the number of young girls who have taken up karting or other motorsports from a young age, had similar number of hours on the track and others who have now made it to F1 - I bet the numbers would be very low as a ratio to the male counterpart.

For all this talk of aggression - frankly it's more about judgment and calculated assessments (or inflated egos frankly) than being aggressive.

If you took 100 or 1000 men and women and gave them all the same track time, do I think on average men would do better? No, I think it would be roughly even.

ReputationRep:
    It's true that fewer girls go into sport, and this reduces the pool from which talent can arise, as well as reduced competition for that talent to be honed against. We all know at least a few reasons why girls tend to back away from sport, but I don't think we can say one way or another if there's a mental strength issue, and if there is, whether it's innate or created by society.

(Original post by nulli tertius)

A horse won that medal, not the rider.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I can't stand Suzie Wolff and her constant moaning.
    Yes I do welcome the chance for women drivers to make their way into F1 but on skill and merit.
    Not on who they are happened to be married to or for PR reasons...

ReputationRep:
    Suzie Wolff? No way does she deserve a shot in F1 with her dismal record in DTM.
    But someone who has genuine talent and skill, who can beat the competition regardless if male or female, then yes.

Apparently Red Bull have signed a young female driver on their young driver academy thing, so there's always a chance...

ReputationRep:
    At the risk of sounding stupid; I am right in thinking that F1 drivers don't have to be male, but they all are just because its a male dominated sport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    This doesn't represent the physical and mental strength that F1 drivers go through.
    Evidently someones never tried riding the horses the olympians have to ride, or indeed riding at all. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Surely, somewhere out there there's a woman who is faster than Karithkayen, less prone to dropping it then Grosjean and less ****er-esque than Maldonado.

It can't be THAT hard!

(Original post by kunoichi)
    Evidently someones never tried riding the horses the olympians have to ride, or indeed riding at all. :rolleyes:
    Show me a horse that can take a corner with over 5x the amount of gravity acting upon it 50 times in two hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Surely, somewhere out there there's a woman who is faster than Karithkayen, less prone to dropping it then Grosjean and less ****er-esque than Maldonado.

It can't be THAT hard!

Show me a horse that can take a corner with over 5x the amount of gravity acting upon it 50 times in two hours.
    Show me the person that can stop a true bolter of a horse. I know professional male riders who have had to bale out before.

Less people than would have the ability to drive the f1 cars basically. Mostly anyone who got their fitness to a really decent level and did some training can drive those cars.

Takes far far more skill to do what the olympic equestrians do.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    Show me the person that can stop a true bolter of a horse. I know professional male riders who have had to bale out before.

Less people than would have the ability to drive the f1 cars basically. Mostly anyone who got their fitness to a really decent level and did some training can drive those cars.

Takes far far more skill to do what the olympic equestrians do.
    Not only do you have to take an absolute physical battering in an F1 car, but your reactions have to be extremely quick as well as thinking about other variables like what driving line to take and how much of the kerb do you mount. Its the combination of physical and mental demands, that make it a tough sport, rather than the driver being good at just one factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Not only do you have to take an absolute physical battering in an F1 car, but your reactions have to be extremely quick as well as thinking about other variables like what driving line to take and how much of the kerb do you mount. Its the combination of physical and mental demands, that make it a tough sport, rather than the driver being good at just one factor.
    Try getting thrown into a rock solid cross country fence followed by a 17hh horse landing on top of you.
    Im taking it, that driving the cars round a track doesnt mean a broken pelvis, broken back, broken neck, broken arms, legs etc? (Yes this did happen to my semi pro friend btw)

You need to be fitter generally for F1 to stand the strain but when it goes wrong in horse riding, the word battering soon shows its true meaning.

The mental demands for high level horse riding are just as hard (for competition) as the physical ones though

You have to work out the course, striding, angles, pace, position, work your horse's mood out (because we dont have all those nice controls that dont change)

This article is mainly about showjumping but it puts the point across well

http://www.globalchampionstour.com/f...-in-the-drivi/

And anyways after this, apologies for hijacking the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    I was recently reading this article http://badgergp.com/2013/04/can-wome...erspective-f1/
    I read that article recently too, and was going to post it, but you already had done so. It was an interesting read though.

Agreed on the fact that if a woman makes it to F1 she should do so on ability. Although with that said, there are drivers currently on the grid who have made it to F1 not solely due to their ability, i.e. pay drivers.. The main point is that if woman does make it to F1, it should be based on others factors besides gender. I do hope that one day we'll see a woman F1 driver. It would be quite interesting I think. :holmes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.