Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!
    I am just back from a visit to St. Andy's and am really torn apart. I have an unconditional to study English and Modern History. I am really chosing between st. andrews and Aberdeen. I loved the uni first of all, seemed great, but i am seriously worried about the night life. I am not neccisarily interested in clubbin' it up but i am very very very interested in having the time of my life with like minded people, i want to have those crazy nights, crazy experiences, drinking every night, having a great time. If St. Andrews cant offer me that then it really is a deal breaker, coming from a small, very poor town i have spent most of my life lonely and bored i want to experience everything and burn bright with others, is st andrews going to offer me that? am i better going to Aberdeen? what do people do in st andrews, i know the pubs and union shut at 2am but what do people do afterwards? do they just go home or do they party on somewhere else till 7am? ANY HELP is appreciated, thank you in advance!:confused: (and before you say, tl;dr or SEARCH THE FORMS FS i have searched and searched but everything seems to be either its GREAT or its **** leaving me even more confused)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by mcosslett)
    Hi Guys!
    I am just back from a visit to St. Andy's and am really torn apart. I have an unconditional to study English and Modern History. I am really chosing between st. andrews and Aberdeen. I loved the uni first of all, seemed great, but i am seriously worried about the night life. I am not neccisarily interested in clubbin' it up but i am very very very interested in having the time of my life with like minded people, i want to have those crazy nights, crazy experiences, drinking every night, having a great time. If St. Andrews cant offer me that then it really is a deal breaker, coming from a small, very poor town i have spent most of my life lonely and bored i want to experience everything and burn bright with others, is st andrews going to offer me that? am i better going to Aberdeen? what do people do in st andrews, i know the pubs and union shut at 2am but what do people do afterwards? do they just go home or do they party on somewhere else till 7am? ANY HELP is appreciated, thank you in advance!:confused: (and before you say, tl;dr or SEARCH THE FORMS FS i have searched and searched but everything seems to be either its GREAT or its **** leaving me even more confused)
    Hey!

I hope you enjoyed the visiting day? Believe me (speaking from experience and all that), you can definitely have those crazy nights and go out drinking every night if you want. Yep, the latest anywhere will be open is 2am. Yeah, some people go home and go to bed at that time but there's ALWAYS an after party at someones house/flat to go to and to drink/party to all hours of the morning and then stagger home still drunk the next afternoon (totally not speaking from experience :ninja:). I know people often have this concern, but honestly, you will find like-minded people.

Did you speak to any of the current students about this aspect when you visited?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm a first year so in a few years my opinion might change, but now there's no way I miss nightclubs. Haven't heard anyone say they miss nightclubs.
    We have AMAZING "Balls" which are basically "fancy" events which have the nightclub feeling but with a huge difference -you know a lot of people there, and the music is actually good.
    This academic year I've been to 3 Balls, and a fourth one is coming up -so excited, it's going to be amazing. We've had amazing live bands and really good music -I've been to a nightclub in Glasgow too, yeah you can go there or to Dundee or to Edinburgh if you need one, but it doesn't really compare. If you like to party there's ALWAYS something to do every Friday... or Wednesday or Saturday! And you can attend ALL of the Balls if you like, meaning 6-7 amazing parties a year.
    Aberdeen is a small city, you'll be closer no nightclubs here since you can go to Edi.

ReputationRep:
    You go to uni to study. Can't believe you even said that you'd settle for Aberdeen just for the night life when clearly st andrews is a better institution. You should sort your priorities out. Its not like going st andrews will mean you wont have a night life, just that its not as good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.