Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gaining muscle and losing bf at the same time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wish to gain weight ( so I can increase my lifts) and lose my belly fat at the same time. How do I achieve this?

Should I do the following?:

-do cardio/hiit daily
    -reduce carbs (so body uses fat as energy source)
    -eat lots of protein

also is eating lots of carbs a must to get a good workout? because im aiming less than 70g of carbs/day. because im eating little carbs does that mean i will have a bad workout? Would eating lots of calories consisting of mainly protein and fats give me the energy to lift my heaviest?

ReputationRep:
    It's effectively not possible, you're either in a calorie surplus (gaining weight) or calorie deficit (losing weight). Build muscle first, try bulking up for a year or so and then cut by lowering calories/carbs

ReputationRep:
    Beyond beginner gains I think the only real (natural) way to do this is to be selective about the periods in which you over eat. I.e if you're going to workout every other day full body eat +10% on workout day (concentrated largely around the workout) and -20% on the recovery day. It'll be a very gradual slow process of muscle gain and fat loss, though muscle is slow to gain anyway, but it is doable...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I heard about beginners being able to do this but ifbbs have to do a bulk/ cut phase. Thanks for suggestion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to lose your BF? ;D

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you'll be able to gain muscle off 70g carbs per day.

ReputationRep:
    The method I was told for a generic muscle-gain strategy is to simply eat tons and do lots of high-weight, low-rep workouts. That packs on your muscle mass, but also may gain fat alongside it. After you've achieved your ideal muscle mass, you then introduce toning workouts which cut back on that excess fat, essentially vacuum-wrapping your body. I'm still in the muscle-gaining phase so can't vouch for the toning phase, though.

Since you've already gained the fat, I'd suggest starting the muscle-packing but try not to overeat to compensate, so you gradually consume fat whilst putting on muscle. Even if you don't lose a ton of fat you'll improve the ratio (do you just have a 'wash' of fat around your middle, or a proper oversized gut?).

No doubt some gym-**** will come swaggering in, negging left and right and insulting everyone who they perceive to be not fully informed, but that's what I'd try, if I was in your situation. I know you can't specifically target fat groups with a certain exercise, and I wouldn't be able to undereat whilst also working out, I'm starving as I sit here having gone to the gym yesterday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Blade)
    I wish to gain weight ( so I can increase my lifts) and lose my belly fat at the same time. How do I achieve this?

-do cardio/hiit daily
    -eat lots of protein

also is eating lots of carbs a must to get a good workout? because im aiming less than 70g of carbs/day. because im eating little carbs does that mean i will have a bad workout? Would eating lots of calories consisting of mainly protein and fats give me the energy to lift my heaviest?
    It IS possible but you seriously need to know what you're doing. To get the best results you need to follow an intermittent fasting type protocol - otherwise I'm not sure it's possible.

If you're not careful, as we've tried to do it before, all you end up doing is spreading yourself thinly across both cutting and bulking and actually end up doing neither.

We'd recommend either cutting or bulking, decide which one you want to do first then go for that. Don't bother counting your carbs, only thing you need to count are your calories and protein. We do not count fats or carbs, carbs are basically calories anyway and provided you're eating a healthy diet your fats will be pretty much right. Aim for around 0.8g-1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

If you want to cut, lower your calories below your maintenance calories (which can be calculated though google).

If you want to bulk increase your calories above your maintenance calories (which can be calculated through google)

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for comments guys. Will rep when on the laptop. After reading this I'll cut. Mind you I'm 135lb with lots of belly fat. I'm going to get rid of this fat first by eating little carbs and hiit which Iv already started 4 weeks ago and I'll bulk up from there. Will my strength go down and how can I increase the weights during a cut?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you cut aggressively and do cardio, you are unlikely to maintain let alone gain muscle and strength. If you go super low carb, you are probably going to feel (and perform) like **** while you adapt to a ketogenic diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    No doubt some gym-**** will come swaggering in, negging left and right and insulting everyone who they perceive to be not fully informed, but that's what I'd try, if I was in your situation.
    lol
    That's one thing that annoys me about this subforum. There are a few posters on here I like, a few I follow blogs, and then the rest are mainly dicks who behave like they're in some sort of special club above everyone. It is what it is and it's not like anyone belongs here so ignore them and post away. That's what I do/did.

There is often misinformation posted on here, although many things in 'fitness' are debateable, but you do get more harshly dealt with here. True dat. As the old saying goes, "**** IT!"

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for comments guys. Will rep when on the laptop. After reading this I'll cut. Mind you I'm 135lb with lots of belly fat. I'm going to get rid of this fat first by eating little carbs and hiit which Iv already started 4 weeks ago and I'll bulk up from there. Will my strength go down and how can I increase the weights during a cut?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When cutting your strength may decrease slightly as it is inevitable that you will lose some muscle along with the fat. There isn't really a way to increase the weight you're lifting during a cut as that is associated with strength increases.

Lower your calories until you lose the weight and then increase them again once you're happy with how you're looking.

Good luck bro!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    135lbs?? How tall are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just do one big bulk, then cut your BF

Remember this is a lifestyle, so what is the rush?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Just do one big bulk, then cut your BF

Remember this is a lifestyle, so what is the rush?
    Probably doesn't wanna look fat? I can't blame him. Who likes looking fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Probably doesn't wanna look fat? I can't blame him. Who likes looking fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well yeah I guess, just lose any excess fat then bulk, be faster than any of this bulking/cutting ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Well yeah I guess, just lose any excess fat then bulk, be faster than any of this bulking/cutting ****.
    Most people go to the gym to simply look better and have a slightly more functional body. Most posters on here want to get strong or BIG and give advice based on their aims. By "look better" I mean moderate fat levels that give some ab visibility and a little definition on their whole body. It's the typical lean look you get in Hollywood, say Daniel Craig (or if you really push the fat, Brad Pitt).

For the average person there's no point in bulking and cutting. Simply go on a slow cut (ie loose weight/fat whilst lifting), get to the right size and stay there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

-do cardio/hiit daily
    -eat lots of protein

You cannot lose fat and build muscle at the same time. However, you can increase muscle and decrease bodyfat % which means you put on more muscle than fat and the proportions change. If you're weak and skinny then doing cardio daily will stop your gains as you can't recover.

Lower carbs can work when losing weight but for trying to add mass you need carbs. Maybe in-between the amount you've have when you're extreme dieting and the amount you have when bulking up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Most people go to the gym to simply look better and have a slightly more functional body. Most posters on here want to get strong or BIG and give advice based on their aims. By "look better" I mean moderate fat levels that give some ab visibility and a little definition on their whole body. It's the typical lean look you get in Hollywood, say Daniel Craig (or if you really push the fat, Brad Pitt).

For the average person there's no point in bulking and cutting. Simply go on a slow cut (ie loose weight/fat whilst lifting), get to the right size and stay there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Makes sense when you put it like that actually lol

I'm a bit chubby ATM, but I can live with that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronki23)
    You cannot lose fat and build muscle at the same time. However, you can increase muscle and decrease bodyfat % which means you put on more muscle than fat and the proportions change. If you're weak and skinny then doing cardio daily will stop your gains as you can't recover.
    ???

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.