Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student studying in the UK, and I'm really struggling with essay writing. I'm currently writing my first assessed essay, and I do not know how the percentages are calculated.

What is needed just to get a Pass? How are the percentages calculated? I do not know what the tutor expects, and I'm hoping that someone can provide some guidelines as to what I should focus on. The essay does not count towards my final grade, but I still want to pass.

All answers are appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    usually 40%- at least is is for my degree

ReputationRep:
    For me, a pass is 35-39%. What I'm more curious about is how exactly these percentages are calculated. How bad does an essay need to be in order to fail? I have pretty much no idea what my tutor expects, and it would be nice to get some guidelines.
    For instance, how many percentages does just grammar, bibliography, referencing, etc. make up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinsane)
    For me, a pass is 35-39%. What I'm more curious about is how exactly these percentages are calculated. How bad does an essay need to be in order to fail? I have pretty much no idea what my tutor expects, and it would be nice to get some guidelines.
    For instance, how many percentages does just grammar, bibliography, referencing, etc. make up?
    Have you not been given a mark scheme? We get given one with every essay that spells out what you need to do to get a certain mark.

If you've been given any sort of course handbook, you may find it in there. Also check likely places on blackboard (or whatever your uni's online thing is called-where you get lectures etc uploaded for you etc) as you may find there's guidance been provided somewhere there.

No one on here will be able to tell you the mark scheme for your essay though (unless they're on the same course at the same uni) so if you haven't been provided with a mark scheme anywhere, you need to ask your tutor for guidance if you're not sure what is expected of you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.