Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Some guy I have known from high school recently started coming to see me at my workplace.

Thing is, he said something that kind off put me off. He was saying like the workplace smells because there is trash can near the counter.

I told him that no one ever complains and that not even I could smell that.

Today, he said that I have dandruff in my hair.

Personally, I go to university now, but I don't like these negative comments from him. I want to forget these people from the past. This person only recently started coming to the workplace, even though they knew I have been working there for two years.

The person is physically strong, they do martial arts and so on, but I don't know if I could consider this person as my 'friend' as quite a few say negative stuff about me.

People who are close to me don't say negative stuff like 'you have dandruff' or 'workplace smells'. People are usually the opposite.

I don't really want to bump into this person in the future, but it may be hard to avoid the person as they live in the same neighbourhood as me.

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    This person sounds really weird, and no I don't think he is your friend. If he makes negative comments like that he would want to be friends with him anyway. I know you can't avoid seeing him so next time you just ignore him and his silly remarks maybe he'll get the message and stop.

ReputationRep:
    Friend is someone who is make you happier, more confident even when you are feeling absolutely down in the dumps, a friend is someone who will not put you down!!
    This person is not your friend from what it sounds like, if they make you upset, if you feel worse after hanging out with them, if they have no respect for you and well look down on you.
    There are people from my school who I do not want to stay in touch with even though we graduated from the same class and I knew them for over 10 years, and I think its fine, yeah I see them around and am polite to them but that's the end of it. I do not want to "hang out" or go to the pub or share some mindless banter with them!
    I mean if we ever find ourselves asking the question 'Is s/he really my friend?' then we pretty much know the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreigngirlxo)
    Friend is someone who is make you happier, more confident even when you are feeling absolutely down in the dumps, a friend is someone who will not put you down!!
    This person is not your friend from what it sounds like, if they make you upset, if you feel worse after hanging out with them, if they have no respect for you and well look down on you.
    There are people from my school who I do not want to stay in touch with even though we graduated from the same class and I knew them for over 10 years, and I think its fine, yeah I see them around and am polite to them but that's the end of it. I do not want to "hang out" or go to the pub or share some mindless banter with them!
    I mean if we ever find ourselves asking the question 'Is s/he really my friend?' then we pretty much know the answer.
    I don't know.

This person only recently started coming to the workplace. Not sure why though.

The majority of the 'friends' I speak to are my boss's friends. They are like more than double my age but we get on fine.

We talk about sports, politics etc. I just think that this high school person, assumed that I didn't work late hours until they randomly popped into the workplace one day and happened to see me around.

I think the best thing to do would be to ignore them slowly. I don't really care about this person. He seems to be jealous of me for something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xcherryx)
    This person sounds really weird, and no I don't think he is your friend. If he makes negative comments like that he would want to be friends with him anyway. I know you can't avoid seeing him so next time you just ignore him and his silly remarks maybe he'll get the message and stop.
    Might try ignoring the comments next time.

The person is a bit weird. I remember they had really weird friends back at high school and have done weird things.

I don't really consider this person as my friend tbh. I kind of needed them back in high school, and now I don't need them anymore.

Luckily, my past is not the same at uni. I have true friends at uni and I would rather speak to people that genuinely care about me.

For example, the other day at the train station I saw one of my mates. He is about 23, and has receding hair. I didn't say to him that he had receding hair because I didn't want to offend him or to appear awkward. Instead I spoke about life in general.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.