Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I qualified as a mental health nurse last september, Ive been to several interviews but still havent got a job. Im even questioning whether I want to be a nurse or not and am thinking of aiming towards something in psychology as this area has always interested me learning about psychological models and analysing behaviour etc. I think nursing is a bit too hands on for me drawing up injections still scares me and I find it hard to think on my feet. Im thinking of working in an assistant role whilst undertaking a psychology degree. I have completed several psychology modules with the OU before I started nurse training. Since Im heading towards the age of 30 though Im wondering will it appear to employers that I lack focus/direction? I think the mh nursing diploma will help me with a psychology career but what will it look like to employers? I mean that fact that I just did the training and didnt work as a nurse? Could I still claim that I have 'experience in nursing' if it was just as a student on placements? Will they wonder why I didnt follow through with nursing do you think..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    Ok so I qualified as a mental health nurse last september, Ive been to several interviews but still havent got a job. Im even questioning whether I want to be a nurse or not and am thinking of aiming towards something in psychology as this area has always interested me learning about psychological models and analysing behaviour etc. I think nursing is a bit too hands on for me drawing up injections still scares me and I find it hard to think on my feet. Im thinking of working in an assistant role whilst undertaking a psychology degree. I have completed several psychology modules with the OU before I started nurse training. Since Im heading towards the age of 30 though Im wondering will it appear to employers that I lack focus/direction? I think the mh nursing diploma will help me with a psychology career but what will it look like to employers? I mean that fact that I just did the training and didnt work as a nurse? Could I still claim that I have 'experience in nursing' if it was just as a student on placements? Will they wonder why I didnt follow through with nursing do you think..
    I think it could look slightly odd to have completed a professional qualifications no never actually joined the profession, but I suppose if you can justify it to employers than they could be satisfied...of course it depends what you say to them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danniitb)
    I think it could look slightly odd to have completed a professional qualifications no never actually joined the profession, but I suppose if you can justify it to employers than they could be satisfied...of course it depends what you say to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you think they would be likely to ask though? Since people change careers all the time, study subjects and then work in superstores etc.. I knew I should have dropped out but I didnt want to quit people were telling me to complete what I started.

ReputationRep:
    I do think they would ask as it leaves a gap in your career history that would need to be explained

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think they would ask but, to be fair, you have a good reason, and it would just show that you're more serious and committed to your new career. If that's the only thing stopping you from pursuing something you're interested in, I'd do it. But make sure you are sure.

ReputationRep:
    I've been told to never have a gap in your career unless you have a really good reason. And if you can't find an actual job, then do relevant voluntary work. It fills the gap, gives you experience and a reference.

My mum applied for a job and she had gaps in her working life which she still had to have a reference for !!!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by civilstudent)

You need to think of some solid, rational reasons why the work you would have been doing as a qualified MH nurse is different to the work you would be doing as a psychologist. It does make you look a bit flaky and indecisive otherwise. One issue that you will need to consider is that having experience as a MH Nurse (by which people mean 3+ years, not just doing the training) you would probably be in a much more credible position to make the move to psychologist.

Not being able to draw up injections is way to weak an excuse to use to justify a career change, don't even think of going there with an employer. And the not being able to think of your feet is another serious issue, because you are likely to have to do that just as much as a psychologist as a MH Nurse, and again, no employer is going to want someone who says that is a reason for a career change.

So unless you take a completely different route in life, then your best bet at the moment is to try and get some real MH nursing experience and build up some depth of professional knowledge and then build on that. Even at 30 it is only 2-3 years out of the next 37 you'll be working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You need to think of some solid, rational reasons why the work you would have been doing as a qualified MH nurse is different to the work you would be doing as a psychologist. It does make you look a bit flaky and indecisive otherwise. One issue that you will need to consider is that having experience as a MH Nurse (by which people mean 3+ years, not just doing the training) you would probably be in a much more credible position to make the move to psychologist.

Not being able to draw up injections is way to weak an excuse to use to justify a career change, don't even think of going there with an employer. And the not being able to think of your feet is another serious issue, because you are likely to have to do that just as much as a psychologist as a MH Nurse, and again, no employer is going to want someone who says that is a reason for a career change.

So unless you take a completely different route in life, then your best bet at the moment is to try and get some real MH nursing experience and build up some depth of professional knowledge and then build on that. Even at 30 it is only 2-3 years out of the next 37 you'll be working.
    I wont actually say those things as a reason for a career change, my main reason is Im just very into psychology and the theories. meh its annoying when you have to think up reasons and justify your desires lol.

I know that people change to careers which are completely different and I would have thought that since I just want to change to a similar area ie healthcare I wouldnt have to do that much explaining.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.