Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is the best paying job in the uk

ReputationRep:
    Working for yourself

ReputationRep:
    Lol don't do a job just because of the money.. that is a very silly way to go about choosing a career for your entire life. Not to mention if you dont actually have a predetermined passion or interest in it you won't excel to get to the top to get that high paying job.

ReputationRep:
    I know that i want to be a biomedical scientist or a biology teacher i was just curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W00p)
    I know that i want to be a biomedical scientist or a biology teacher i was just curious
    Almost any career has the potential to pay well. Far more important is finding something you have the motivation in to work your way up the ladder and hope luck is on your side.

ReputationRep:
    I guess surgeons ,anesthetist and of-course CEOs of large companies ..... but your income will be taxed heavily though, unless you have a good accountant.

ReputationRep:
    Professions that are in demand at the time. Assumably such as doctors, engineers. But of course in the end if you lack the motivation, passion, aptitude in that line of work, you're unlikely to achieve success and that high paying position.

ReputationRep:
    CEO of ArcelorMittal, I guess.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by HandsomeHunter)
    I guess surgeons ,anesthetist and of-course CEOs of large companies ..... but your income will be taxed heavily though, unless you have a good accountant.

(Original post by Emre944)
    Professions that are in demand at the time. Assumably such as doctors, engineers. But of course in the end if you lack the motivation, passion, aptitude in that line of work, you're unlikely to achieve success and that high paying position.
    Trust me, most doctors don't earn a lot if you look at their hourly salary rather than the annual one. And don't forget on-calls and night shifts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vulpes)
    Trust me, most doctors don't earn a lot if you look at their hourly salary rather than the annual one. And don't forget on-calls and night shifts
    Good point, but the public perception seems to be that doctors unconditionally start with a high salary, at least where I live.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be rich, it's not gonna happen when our working for someone else...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageExcellence)
    Lol don't do a job just because of the money.. that is a very silly way to go about choosing a career for your entire life. Not to mention if you dont actually have a predetermined passion or interest in it you won't excel to get to the top to get that high paying job.

That's very true. Working with out any passion will result in less satisfaction in the work and gradually it will affect the work itself. I work on things that keeps me happy, and of course money is one of such factors.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of jobs that are realistically available to graduates from top Russell Group universities (so not things like sports stars, CEOs, etc), front-office investment banking would be the best paying by a large margin, followed by law (biglaw + magic circle + barristers, not small firms), and then things like big4 accounting and management consultancy. Physicians would be up there too.

Either starting your own business or working for a tech startup (where you have equity) can pay a lot more that these, but its extremely high variance so probably pays less on average.

ReputationRep:
    Good point, but the public perception seems to be that doctors unconditionally start with a high salary, at least where I live.
    Yes, I agree too. Especially in countries like UK, and India, the doctors are perceived to be highly paid than any other professions.

(Original post by Vulpes)
    According to me, Doctor profession is one of the highly paid jobs among all the jobs in the industry. I do agree and understand that few doctors don't earn much as others do. But it doesn't mean that doctor profession is less paid job.

(Original post by MikeAllen5)
    If you want to be rich, it's not gonna happen when our working for someone else...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly, when you work for someone else, you are helping them to achieve their dreams. But it is not easy to become a CEO of a company or even to start a small business. This involves not only interest or talent, it requires passion, people skills and most importantly endurance to take the pain and keep moving forward and that's not easy.

Engineering field has seen a drastic downfall in the recent years, particularly in countries like India. There are lot of engineering colleges in India that allows anyone to study as long as the student has got money to pay the tuition fees. The quality has gone down and the engineering jobs has become cheap and there is no more jobs for engineers.

According to me, as long as you have the skill set and the ability to manage people any one can be an entrepreneur. Working for ourselves will help us to get more profit than working for anyone.

(Original post by W00p)
    What is the best paying job in the uk
    As far as I know, it should be either doctor or Cab driver...

Freelancing has become a common word in many countries and people started to work on their own, managing their own time in a better way. These people are self motivated and directed. This is booming in India though the people are intended to get motivated through external factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avinash1988)
    Yes, I agree too. Especially in countries like UK, and India, the doctors are perceived to be highly paid than any other professions.

According to me, Doctor profession is one of the highly paid jobs among all the jobs in the industry. I do agree and understand that few doctors don't earn much as others do. But it doesn't mean that doctor profession is less paid job.

Exactly, when you work for someone else, you are helping them to achieve their dreams. But it is not easy to become a CEO of a company or even to start a small business. This involves not only interest or talent, it requires passion, people skills and most importantly endurance to take the pain and keep moving forward and that's not easy.

Engineering field has seen a drastic downfall in the recent years, particularly in countries like India. There are lot of engineering colleges in India that allows anyone to study as long as the student has got money to pay the tuition fees. The quality has gone down and the engineering jobs has become cheap and there is no more jobs for engineers.

According to me, as long as you have the skill set and the ability to manage people any one can be an entrepreneur. Working for ourselves will help us to get more profit than working for anyone.

As far as I know, it should be either doctor or Cab driver...

Freelancing has become a common word in many countries and people started to work on their own, managing their own time in a better way. These people are self motivated and directed. This is booming in India though the people are intended to get motivated through external factors.
    I take it you're from India?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by avinash1988)

According to you, so do you have any evidence to back up that statement?

Junior doctors (first two years of your medical career) will be earning 22-25k a year, easily working 48 hours a week, with shifts lasting up to 13 hours at times. Consultants earn between 75-100k and GPs earn between 50-80k but this is after 2 years as a junior doctors, 7-9 years training in a specialty, and only then will you be a senior registrar, waiting for a consultant to retire before you can take up that position.

No one goes into the medical profession for the money, as there really isn't much there. If you put the same amount of time and effort into something like investment banking, you would be earning a lot more and working way less hours.

NHS: Pay for Doctors
    Telegraph: Patients at risk from junior doctors working 100 hour weeks: GMC

ReputationRep:
    Thermodynamic Astro Topologist's earn quite a lot.

ReputationRep:
    There is far too much talk of money in this thread. Have any of you ever seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnFUDVpFwFQ

What would you do if money were no object? I couldn't think of a more apt question to ask someone who is unsure of what they want to do.

Like Alan says in the video, if you are doing what you truly love to do then you will eventually become a master of it and can earn a good living from it.

Our passion is working for ourselves, internet marketing and helping others break the mould.

'The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I'd hate that' - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Find out how we're funding our way through Uni

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.