Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,

i have an offer to study social policy at msc level, but money is an issue, pretty much generally / across the board. am applying for scholarships and bursaries but was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect, living expenses wise, from LSE?

i have a friend who studies there and has given me doses of the brutal truth, but if i were to be looking for cheapish accommodation and didn't want to be far from school, which areas should i look? is butler's wharf the best option? my girlfriend has a place to study a masters at oxford - would it perhaps even be more feasible for me to live there and commute via oxford tube?

eesh, postgrad eh. thanks for an help anyone can give, much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you're willing to sacrifice.

You can get accommodation for around £90/week from LSE if you're willing to share. Otherwise it's around £120/week minimum for a single at Butlers Wharf. I'm not sure about the prices of private flatshares.

Apart from accommodation, London really isn't that much more expensive for groceries and things compared to normal big cities and how much you will spend on food and leisure will vary from person to person. Travel to and from university can be free if you're willing to walk.

Wouldn't be able to comment about Oxford commute but I can't imagine it being wonderful, especially if you have 9am lectures!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.