Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

FOr my geography exam i have been told to research glacial landforms such as Corries (Cirques) Aretes, pyramidal peaks, hanging valleys and that sort of thing.

I have found the processes but i am having great difficulty in find examples around the world, the information i need is their elevation (height and which way they are facing).

ANy ideas on how to find them.

Thanks

There are plenty of places to find these sorts of case studies on the net, and wikipedia will tell you their elevation.

Elevation means height above sea level, by the way, and does not include the direction they are facing. If you have been told to research the latter, that information isn't generally listed for many types of glacial landforms (not least because things like pyramidal peaks are technically 'facing' three directions!) and you'd probably need to use a map or satellite image (Google Earth) to find that out.

The direction things are facing is called their 'aspect' - wikipedia will be able to tell you that for corries and hanging valleys.

I've spent a lot of time in Snowdonia, so most of the features I know off-hand are there; if you're stuck for examples, whack these into google/wikipedia:

Arete - Crib Goch
    Hanging Valley - Cwm Amarch
    U-shaped (glaciated) valley - Nant Ffrancon
    Pyramidal Peak - Snowdon
    Ribbon Lake - Llyn Peris
    Cirque - Cwm Idwal

Uth

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.