Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Returning Student with extenuating circumstances Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am not 100% sure if this is the right section as my computer is displaying the page very badly but, i could do with some advise i also wanted to see if anyone else had this experience. In 2005 i started a Mental Health Nursing degree, after 1.5yrs i had to leave for medical reasons. the student finance people count this as a 2 yrs study. In 2012 i applied and got into a 4yr course. I applied for student finance and they said only entitled to 2yrs of funding but to appeal, which i did. I sent in medical evidence etc and they wrote back saying my appeal was successful. so i started. i applied for next years funding and now they are saying no my appeal was only sucessful for years 1, 3 and 4 of my study. They wont say why. I called when i got the letter to check it covered all 4 years they said it did. So anyway now i have this issue:I have n o funding for next years study at the moment. Our student finance team said they believe student finance are wrong because they think you get 4yrs allowance for the course+1 extra year in case of retakes - previous study + any special considerations, this would give me 4yrs. Although they said they may be wrong and that even if they weren't student fiance don't have to listen. I have also spoken to our head tutor who said if our contact with student finance doesnt get us anywhere he might be able to reduce the fees a little bit and arrange flexible repayments. but if i dont get the tuition fee loan i wont get a maintanence grant which means either way i cannot continue because i couldn't afford my bills, my partner earns 20k a year and already half his earnings go on rent, but he earns just too much to get working tax credits.... any suggestions? I have a job but theres no way i can earn 6k and extra for living before september.Has anyone else had this or got any suggestions??

ReputationRep:
    Do you put the lottery on?

ReputationRep:
    Im in a similar situation. Mine was a Nursing Diploma, and i left after 14 months (or as student finance see it, 2 years into my study) I now want to study at degree level but i have spent half an hour this morning talking to different people about how much funding and because its a diploma i may be entitled to all of it, but nobody is giving me the bare minimum! if your saying you had a guaranteed 2 years, that puts a lot off my mind. With Tuition being at 9k is there any chance you can super scrimp,downsize, or anything like that? Also arent you still entitled to maintenance?

ReputationRep:
    Heya thanks for the replies, no if theres no tuition fee you dont get maintanence, but they did say i should get 4 years funig because of the medical stuff, and because the appeal was sucessful, how can they say its successful but we wont do anything else?

just angry :/ i cant super skrim, uni is a 2hrs drive each way. i therefore have to pay my car finance and rent and petrol. also because i drive 500 miles a week and because this year 4 people have hit my car and i hit a deer my insurance is £1048 per year..... doomed

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.