Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students diagnosed with Dyslexia will be given labels with the following text to attach to their scripts: This candidate has been reported as having been assessed as dyslexic. Markers of scripts are asked to take note of this, but any question of allowances to be made must be left for consideration at the meeting of the Board of Examiners held to determine the results.

what does this mean the part I underlined?

thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it means that the exam markers are asked to consider the fact that the candidate has dyslexia but if they feel that they need to make any allowances for the particular candidate they will have to take it further to a meeting with the board of examiners before they can start to make the allowances.

Did I help? Sometimes I over-complicate things.

(Original post by Mel1215)
    I'd say it means that the exam markers are asked to consider the fact that the candidate has dyslexia but if they feel that they need to make any allowances for the particular candidate they will have to take it further to a meeting with the board of examiners before they can start to make the allowances.

Did I help? Sometimes I over-complicate things.
    does this mean in terms of marking them less strictly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    does this mean in terms of marking them less strictly?
    No, it means they mark them following the same rules as everyone else. However, should they feel the candidate has suffered because they are dyslexic they can bring it up at the examiners meeting to propose the candidate is given a higher mark in an appropriate area.

For example, in a science/maths exam the examiner is unlikely to want to use his discretion to award a higher mark/band. However in an English exam where punctuation, grammar and spelling is awarded a susbstantial mark he may feel that they deserve a higher grade/band. If they feel this is so they cannot just award it off their own backs they would have to raise it at the examiners meeting so it can be discussed with more experienced markers/higher ups as to whether everyone else agrees they deserve a higher mark or not.

The note doesn't automatically mean they'll raise the mark or even raise it to the board but it makes them aware of the potential problem.

ReputationRep:
    Students diagnosed with Dyslexia will be given labels with the following text to attach to their scripts: This candidate has been reported as having been assessed as dyslexic. Markers of scripts are asked to take note of this, but any question of allowances to be made must be left for consideration at the meeting of the Board of Examiners held to determine the results.

what does this mean the part I underlined?

thank you
    Typically:

- the marking will be done to the same standard by the initial marker (that is, you won't get any preferential treatment because you're dyslexic). This is because you should be given additional time to complete your papers.

- however, if you have poor handwriting (say), the markers will spend that little more time to try to decipher what you've written, given your condition.

- in the examiner's meeting, where they discuss people's performance, if you are near a borderline they will examine how you've done more closely and see whether your dyslexia might've affected your performance

Basically - it means that your examiners are trying to treat you as fairly as possible. This is a good thing

EDIT: or what RollerBall said

(Original post by shamika)
    Typically:

- the marking will be done to the same standard by the initial marker (that is, you won't get any preferential treatment because you're dyslexic). This is because you should be given additional time to complete your papers.

- however, if you have poor handwriting (say), the markers will spend that little more time to try to decipher what you've written, given your condition.

- in the examiner's meeting, where they discuss people's performance, if you are near a borderline they will examine how you've done more closely and see whether your dyslexia might've affected your performance

Basically - it means that your examiners are trying to treat you as fairly as possible. This is a good thing

EDIT: or what RollerBall said

thank you , cause also they mentioned that attached to my script they would put a dyslexic sticker to indicate the examiners if there were any poor spelling ,grammar e,t,c

ReputationRep:
    thank you , cause also they mentioned that attached to my script they would put a dyslexic sticker to indicate the examiners if there were any poor spelling ,grammar e,t,c
    Yes, absolutely they should take that into account too. Try not to let it stress you out, and concentrate on doing your best

Yes, absolutely they should take that into account too. Try not to let it stress you out, and concentrate on doing your best
    Thank you Shamika!

Becasue I am taking chemistry and Biolgy exams, chemistry is mostly involved with calculation and biology I have to write a lot.

But this does not mean that I will get lowered for marks because of them taking into consideration? thats why I am a bit worried

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Shamika!

Becasue I am taking chemistry and Biolgy exams, chemistry is mostly involved with calculation and biology I have to write a lot.

But this does not mean that I will get lowered for marks because of them taking into consideration? thats why I am a bit worried
    The opposite; say they would knock off 2 marks for poor spelling in your Biology paper. Your first marker would see the sticker and not knock off those two marks because they'd see you're dyslexic.

It definitely makes sure you get fair treatment. Note that good examiners won't just randomly bump up marks just because you're dyslexic; and I'm sure you wouldn't want that either.

The opposite; say they would knock off 2 marks for poor spelling in your Biology paper. Your first marker would see the sticker and not knock off those two marks because they'd see you're dyslexic.

It definitely makes sure you get fair treatment. Note that good examiners won't just randomly bump up marks just because you're dyslexic; and I'm sure you wouldn't want that either.
    oh ok, got it now! thank you so much again Shamika

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.