Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me some distinctive differences between the two, or what most defines a comedy of manners or romantic comedy? I am studying Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest' and need some ideas Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by JodieW)
    Can anyone give me some distinctive differences between the two, or what most defines a comedy of manners or romantic comedy? I am studying Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest' and need some ideas Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A comedy of manners uses prim, upper-class social behaviors to derive its comedy. It's commonly said that they 'make the real false and the false real'; that is, the audience sees what's behind the characters' social facades, whilst the other characters have to contend with the veneers and manners that cloud and sophisticate how the people in the play really feel. Much of the humour comes from the fact that certain characters are being deceived and mocked by characters whose intentions are known by the audience.

They're usually chock-full of innuendos and witty language.

Romantic Comedies are pretty much the same as modern RomCom films - they take a humorous approach to people falling in love, along with all the silliness and heart-fluttery that goes alongside it.

'Earnest is a great play, and very much plays on the techniques of a comedy of manners - it's a great big farcical satire, mocking Victorian social standards and etiquette. At the same time, it often derives humour from mocking marriage and falling in love, so has elements of romantic comedy (although I wouldn't call the play in general a romcom)

Uth =]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.