Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Should I be wearing a suit for a Skype interview? Just dress smart? I actually have a job interview later and could just suit up now, but I don't want to seem overly keen. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Will you be wearing a suit at this job if you get it? If you are doing, then wear a suit for the interview. If not, just wear a pair of trousers and a open collar shirt. That should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Will you be wearing a suit at this job if you get it? If you are doing, then wear a suit for the interview. If not, just wear a pair of trousers and a open collar shirt. That should be fine.
    UCL is a university...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    UCL is a university...
    he probably means at a job related to what he would be studying... I'd say put some random trousers on, tuck in a shirt and put a blazer. I wouldn't put a tie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cigrainger)
    Should I be wearing a suit for a Skype interview? Just dress smart? I actually have a job interview later and could just suit up now, but I don't want to seem overly keen. Any thoughts?
    I have had two interviews at UCL (one for the course and one for a job), in person not skype though, and I wore a suit both times.

For a skype interview I would wear a shirt and tie, to give the impression of a smart and presentable person.

Curious as to what the interview is for? I work and study at UCL so we may well be colleagues in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmk6891)
    he probably means at a job related to what he would be studying... I'd say put some random trousers on, tuck in a shirt and put a blazer. I wouldn't put a tie.
    You are correct, as the OP said Job Interview, so I thought it was an interview for his placement year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    UCL is a university...
    But you put Job Interview? :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the confusion guys! I should have been more clear. The UCL interview is for a MSc course and then I have an additional (unrelated) job interview later today. Thanks for the replies!

ReputationRep:
    Just suit up mate, it can't do any wrong really.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, far better to be too smart than too casual.

ReputationRep:
    Suit on the top half and shorts/sandals on the bottom half. They won't see the bottom half but you'll be able to pull off the ultimate in smart casual.

ReputationRep:
    Always suit up!

ReputationRep:
    And check what's going to be in the background when they're speaking to you. Try to make it as neutral as possible and make sure it looks organised, tidy and clean. There's no point putting on a suit if they can see the remains of yesterday's curry on the table behind you. A friend of mine managed to get through an entire Skype job interview whilst forgetting that he had a poster of an unclad lady on the wall behind him. Needless to say, he didn't get it...

ReputationRep:
    For a master's, I would just wear a shirt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.