Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "All UK students should be forced to learn a 2nd language." - Discuss.

Hi guys,

In addition to the above, to help me with a little project/business venture of mine, I would be interested to know:
    • What you found easiest about learning a language?
    • What you found hardest about learning a language?
    • Any ideas you have on how to improve that experience?

Answers can be as short as you like, avid discussions are welcome!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hello from a fellow language lover
    I will try to answer your questions as best as possible

- Strangely enough, I don't actually know what I find easiest about learning a language. That's not to say that I find everything difficult, but I've never really considered this before. I suppose I find learning the grammar quite easy, especially for German. I think it's quite deceptive in a way, as some people find german grammar tricky to grasp at first, but once you've got it, it's either right or wrong. In other words, a black and white situation.

- What I find hardest about learning a language is probably picking up enough vocabulary to be very familiar with native speakers. There just seem to be so many words that I don't know the meaning of, and sometimes it can be frustrating. I also think it can be very hard to sound "natural" or "native." By this I mean, being able to say things as a native speaker would, because you can be grammatically correct yet sound too formal, etc.

- With regards to improving the experience of language learning, I'd like to make a comment on school teaching. I really do think that pupils aren't taught languages very well at school in an uninspiring way which can lead to apathy. I don't believe that making people copy exercises out from a textbook, lesson after lesson, is going to improve their language skills. Perhaps then teachers could make use of foreign radio, films, etc.
    Additionally, I think pupils really should be taught the grammar right from the start. Speaking from first hand experience, some of the people in my Higher (AS) level German class are really struggling just because they have no fundamental grasp of grammar. I find it perplexing that they could reel off a pre-prepared speech on the advantages and disadvantages of the internet, yet when put in an actual conversational setting, they're totally lost.

Ahem...yeah. Excuse the copious rambling, but those are just a few of my thoughts about the whole matter.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.