• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    Name:  yeoooo.png
Views: 191
Size:  23.2 KBthe answer to b ii) is L but I am not sure way

would someone mind explaining? thanks
    What's the point of a control in scientific experiment?

ReputationRep:
    Ignore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Why have they not included the LDH enzyme in the control? Shouldnt it be lactate, water and LDH at all temperatures as opposed to lactate and water at all temperatures?

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure how exactly to explain it :lol:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JamesNeedHelp2)
    Why have they not included the LDH enzyme in the control? Shouldnt it be lactate, water and LDH at all temperatures as opposed to lactate and water at all temperatures?
    What would we learn by having LDH as part of the control? We're investigating the effect of LDH species on reaction rate; by excluding it as a controlled variable, but keeping all other factors the same, we can ensure that the LDH species is a determinant of reaction rate, as opposed to something like temperature, substrate or solute concentration in the water affecting our results.

Edit: Sorry! I realised I haven't entirely answered your question.
    Ideally, we'd like to control for LDH concentration, yes, but that's not one of the options, and the ones that do involve LDH simply don't contribute anything to the experimental design. Controlling one species of LDH at one temperature, or two species of boiled LDH don't really tell us anything about the reaction rates of different LDH species.

ReputationRep:
    What would we learn by having LDH as part of the control? We're investigating the effect of LDH species on reaction rate; by excluding it as a controlled variable, but keeping all other factors the same, we can ensure that the LDH species is a determinant of reaction rate, as opposed to something like temperature, substrate or solute concentration in the water affecting our results.

Edit: Sorry! I realised I haven't entirely answered your question.
    Ideally, we'd like to control for LDH concentration, yes, but that's not one of the options, and the ones that do involve LDH simply don't contribute anything to the experimental design. Controlling one species of LDH at one temperature, or two species of boiled LDH don't really tell us anything about the reaction rates of different LDH species.
    That makes a lot of sense- thanks!

So I have after all been legitimately schooled.

+rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    I am not sure how exactly to explain it :lol:
    Read this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=879371

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.