Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I finally managed to firm Warwick yesterday for the three year English Literature and Creative Writing course, and I'm just curious if there's anybody else on here who has also done the same, which university they chose as insurance, which accommodation blocks they're thinking of going into, etc. Basically being a bit nosy about the other (25..?) people who are going to be on my course XD And btw, congrats to everyone who did get in!

(Oh, btw, in my case for accommodation, I'm torn between Rootes and Sherbourne, I think :/ There's such an enormous difference between their prices, but I'm not too sure about Heronbank after asking questions about it on TSR.)

ReputationRep:
    I've also firmed for English Lit and Creative writing at warwick (: For my insurance I chose York, but its for a philosophy and English literature course. And as for accommodation, I'm undecided between Rootes and Jack Martin. And congrats too for getting in!

ReputationRep:
    Oh! Great, I was quite unhopeful of getting any replies on here, since our class will be so small! Yes, I was looking at York myself, it looks like a very good university! Philosophy and creative writing are quite different subjects, so if you don't mind me asking, how come you came to have such a breadth between your courses? And are both Warwick and York asking for AAA including English Lit?

I chose Nottingham as my insurance, again for English Lit and Creative Writing. I visited UEA with high expectations but actually wasn't all that impressed. After being to so many Open Days now, I see universities like houses. If I get this warm, fuzzy, homely feeling, I know it's right for me! XD

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I've been waiting to see if I would find any more Creative writing and English Lit students going to Warwick (: I don't know if you've seen it yet, but there is a facebook page for all Warwick firmers that you can join, there is one other creative writing applicant there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/132893273561358/ The reason I applied to two different courses, was honestly because while I'm really passionate about creative writing I wasn't sure whether that I wanted to study it directly as a degree at uni. Also I met this writer (Joe Craig) who studied philosophy and he emphasised the value of studying philosophy as a writer. And I also just really wanted to go to Warwick, so I applied for two different courses there (: I really didn't expect to get in for creative writing! But I'm so glad that I did now, of course. Nottingham seems like a great uni, I have a friend who lives there and she really likes it. I've heard lots of good things about UEA, especially for its creative writing degree and kind of regretted not applying there afterwards. But if you say that it wasn't that great then that definitely makes me feel better about not applying there xD I live in the Netherlands, which isn't that far away from the UK, but it meant that I wasn't able to go to as many open days as I liked, you're lucky you got to go to so many! I also go to an international school, and I'm doing the IB instead of A levels. I have to get minimum 36 points and a 6 (out of 7) in Higher Level English Literature. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Another creative writing student here (the one Ave.Maria mentions from the fb group). I won't be applying for accommodation since I'm a mature student and will be travelling in instead.

ReputationRep:
    To Ave Maria:

Ah, yes, I understand that there are quite a few authors who like to elevate philosophy as being almost, if not as important as writing skills - especially since you can count on philosophy to highlight all the core themes that make a good story, I guess! I hadn't really thought of philosophy myself, but yes, I guess my question seems a bit silly now XD And yes, while I didn't like UEA myself, you may have liked it, though I heard their course was good, but I try to base my opinions on how inspired I feel after listening to the subject talk by the lecturers. Warwick's talk (I feel sad to admit) ALMOST reduced me to tears XD I think I was sat on the edge of my seat, thinking 'Yes, exactly, EXACTLY! This is what creative writing is about!' - the creative writing lecturer was incredible, I have to admit Very inspiring! They asked me for AAA with E.Lit I'm actually in my third year of A level after changing my subjects in the second year, so I already have two of my A's - an A in Maths and an A* in Art. So now I'm working on my A in Lit and I'm taking Religious Studies on the side

To Laurelia:

Ah so you're a mature student? Interesting! Will you be living very far from campus or are you currently living in Warwick/Coventry?

ReputationRep:
    I live in Banbury at the moment and will be traveling in from there every day. It's not too far, will take me about an hour and a half to get there. At 32 though I've done the whole student social life thing already so won't be suffering too badly from getting up in the mornings in time

ReputationRep:
    To AngelCrow: I know exactly what you mean about the talk at Warwick (; I unfortunately didn't get to go to the open day they had for the interviews because my mock exams started in that same week, but I went to another open day the year before and I was completely sold by the head of department's talk about English Literature and Creative Writing. It was amazing. I'm really looking forward to studying there this year! Just have to get through exams first -.- But I'm sure it'll be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    So just out of curiosity, what kind of genre do you guys like to write? Or do you prefer poetry or prose?? (:

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Sorry AveMaria, I got caught up with revising for exams and completely forgot to reply to your previous message i wonder, have you finished yours yet? If so, I hope they went well as for my preferred genre/format, I'm still experimenting, myself I've written a fantasy novel and I'm currently writing a second which I'm hoping to finish this summer the title is still undecided but it's about satanism, demon worshipping and secret shadow coteries. I really love magic and fantasy novels, so that's definitely one of my favourite genres to write in, but I prefer to write about darker magics but I've experimented with a lot of styles and one of my favourite authors is Murakami so I'm still finding my way as for prose or poetry.... I do both of those, too XD but I never expected I would ever want to write poetry - up until two years ago I was never inspired - then I read some of Heaneys work and fell in love with his style ^.^ I wouldn't say I'm very good at poetry though! XD but I would love to practice it at Warwick, even though I think my preference is prose what about you? What type of genres/formats are your favourites? :-D

ReputationRep:
    That's okay Angel Crow, I completely understand how exams completely take over everything (: I finished a couple weeks ago at the end of May so I've had a lot of free time lately, to work and write before I go on holiday. And thanks they didn't go too badly - I hope. I'm still experimenting myself and am always trying new styles with prose and new structures and formats with poetry. I am just like you haha - I never thought I would get in to poetry, I used to hate trying to write it in English lessons, but then three years ago I wrote my first poem and have continued to since. I've never read anything by Heaneys, I'll have to have a look. My favourite inspiring poets are T. S Elliot, Carol Ann Duffy and Dylan Thomas. My favourite genre that I also love to write in would probably be Science Fiction, I like any speculative fiction and dystopian novels. I love authors such as George Orwell and Margaret Atwood. But I mean I love to read all different types of genres and have definitely enjoyed reading some fantasy novels. (: Wow, I envy you, I've yet been able to reach my all time goal of writing a novel (: So far I've written a couple of novellas and short stories, many of which I finished then read back and realised how much re-writing I needed to do. (: I'm currently working on a science fiction novel though. I'm really looking forward to going to Warwick and being able to read everyone's work (:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I just got my results today, and I'm really chuffed to say - I'm in! I got the A I needed I assume that you, Laurelia, had a firm, unconditional offer because you're a mature student. What about you, Ave Maria? If you've received your results I really hope you got what you needed! If you're still waiting, all the best!

ReputationRep:
    I'm another English Lit and CW student -- nice to meet you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey XD welcome to the conversation! :-D congrats for getting the grades you wanted and making it in may I ask, was Warwick your first choice? And will you be staying in halls or travelling in this year? ^.^ please excuse me if I'm nosy, but I like to get to know my classmates and as of yet I'm still a little nervous about making friends (despite EVERYONE telling me making friends in uni is the easiest thing in the world!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelCrow)
    Hey XD welcome to the conversation! :-D congrats for getting the grades you wanted and making it in may I ask, was Warwick your first choice? And will you be staying in halls or travelling in this year? ^.^ please excuse me if I'm nosy, but I like to get to know my classmates and as of yet I'm still a little nervous about making friends (despite EVERYONE telling me making friends in uni is the easiest thing in the world!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh my gosh, no worries at all!! I have some of the same fear myself, so it's nice to say hi to some (I assume) like-minded people! Thank you, and same to you of course!

Warwick was my first choice! I came for the interview, not really feeling it all that much (Nottingham at the time was my absolute fav) but I had such a good time, they completely convinced me that Warwick was the place!

I'm staying in halls, yes -- obviously don't know which yet, but...
    And yourself?

Unless I completely failed my reading comprehension, you're a novelist/fiction writer? I am myself, or as much as I can allow myself to say that Definitely not a poet however much I try haha, though I'd love to try out some script writing for theatre/screen/etc even if I don't really know the slightest of how to go about it!

(And I realise I am using too many exclamation points than I would otherwise -- I will say now that I am actually, usually, a rather calm person lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelCrow)
    Hey guys, I just got my results today, and I'm really chuffed to say - I'm in! I got the A I needed I assume that you, Laurelia, had a firm, unconditional offer because you're a mature student. What about you, Ave Maria? If you've received your results I really hope you got what you needed! If you're still waiting, all the best!
    It wasn't unconditional but I didn't have to wait for exam results. I needed 36 distinctions on my Access Diploma, which had to include all my English Literature assignments. I had it confirmed I made the offer the same day as A level results although I already 'knew' my grades from my tutor. I am glad everyone got their grades.

Emmasaraha, hey and welcome! Have you joined the Warwick admits fb group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/132893273561358/

also, has anyone made a start on any of the 'suggested reading'? I've read the magic toyshop and buddha of surburbia but when I picked up the stuff we need for med. lit... oh my... I hated sociology and history at college and it's literally books all about... sociology and history (obviously so we can understand the time period in which the stuff was written, but still..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ave.Maria.)
    So just out of curiosity, what kind of genre do you guys like to write? Or do you prefer poetry or prose?? (:

Another NOT poet here. I am hoping to have completed my first novel (crime fiction) by the end of this month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurelia)
    It wasn't unconditional but I didn't have to wait for exam results. I needed 36 distinctions on my Access Diploma, which had to include all my English Literature assignments. I had it confirmed I made the offer the same day as A level results although I already 'knew' my grades from my tutor. I am glad everyone got their grades.

Emmasaraha, hey and welcome! Have you joined the Warwick admits fb group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/132893273561358/

also, has anyone made a start on any of the 'suggested reading'? I've read the magic toyshop and buddha of surburbia but when I picked up the stuff we need for med. lit... oh my... I hated sociology and history at college and it's literally books all about... sociology and history (obviously so we can understand the time period in which the stuff was written, but still..)
    Nope, thank you for the link! Requested to join now, thanks.

And...another no...I didn't realise we had any suggested reading! Every uni was the same for me when we tried to get any reading lists -- "we don't do that so people don't go buy everything on it and then don't use it"
    Could you perhaps give me any titles? (sorry to be a pain), or at least where I might find such a list?

Nicely enough, I just managed to hunt down the Magic Toyshop, though that was my own choice a week ago.

ETA: unless of course this is some of the titles on the course texts, which I am struggling through right now -- it gets a little muddy trying to choose..though I suppose I better get cracking with Homer, since I know nothing about the guy!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations Laurelia and AngelCrow for making it in! I received my results 6th July and found out that I also made the points for Warwick I'm so excited to go already, its been a looong holiday since May, I'm really ready for it to be over. In terms of attacking the reading list I'm waiting for my order of 'English Society in the middle ages' and 'Medieval Writers and their work' to come. I decided to get these books because I think the Epic Tradition and Medieval to Renaissance modules will probably be the hardest as I'm least familiar with books like those. So I'm hoping to flick through these books on the medieval age and then maybe try tackling the Illiad, since they recommend starting this in the Summer as well. I hope that'll be enough! Congrats on near completing your first crime novel Laurelia I love a good crime novel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmasaraha)
    Nope, thank you for the link! Requested to join now, thanks.

And...another no...I didn't realise we had any suggested reading! Every uni was the same for me when we tried to get any reading lists -- "we don't do that so people don't go buy everything on it and then don't use it"
    Could you perhaps give me any titles? (sorry to be a pain), or at least where I might find such a list?

Nicely enough, I just managed to hunt down the Magic Toyshop, though that was my own choice a week ago.

ETA: unless of course this is some of the titles on the course texts, which I am struggling through right now -- it gets a little muddy trying to choose..though I suppose I better get cracking with Homer, since I know nothing about the guy!
    Hey Emma, to find suggested reading for the Summer you can go to this page - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/e...aduate/modules and then click on the modules to see the background reading. The only novels they really seem to suggest reading in the Summer are: Maurice Keen, English Society in the Later Middle Ages 1348-1500 (Penguin, 1990)
    J.A. Burrow, Medieval Writers and their Work, 2nd edn. (Oxford, 2008)
    John Guy, Tudor England (1990)Homer, the Iliad, trans. Richmond Lattimore (Chicago UP) (ISBN 9780226469409)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.