Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After looking into it more, I want to study psychology bsc degree with the ou, but I'm a bit worried as I don't have no good gcse's and no academic experienc, do you think it will make sense if I go for it, there is no formal entry requirements for this degree but I'm still a bit worried, also what career opportunities will I have after this degree no further study? How long does it take to finish this course? I'm nearly 27 so I'm a bit worried about length of the course, wouldn't mind if it's a 3/4 year course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people studying with the OU don't have any formal qualifications, but if you're worried about how you'll cope academically, you might want to start with one of the Access modules which they're running from October, as these will provide the gentlest possible start. (I guess the People, Work and Society one would be most relevant to Psychology?)

How long your degree would take would depend a bit on how much study you have time to do each week. If you want to do it in four years or so, that's the equivalent of full-time study, which depending on your work/family commitments, you might find difficult to manage (or you might be fine with; some people are). Studying part-time it typically takes about six years to do a degree. My advice to people considering OU study is to start out part-time and see how it suits you - if you want to, you can then go full-time once you're confident you can manage it. Better that than starting out at breakneck pace and doing badly/being put off the whole thing. 27 isn't old, and look at it this way - the next four, five, six, however-many years are going to pass, regardless of whether you start studying or not. It's just that if you start studying now, then at the end of that time you'll have a degree; whereas if you don't, you won't.

In terms of career options after your degree, there's some useful info here, but bear in mind too that large numbers of graduate jobs are available to graduates in any discipline, so you'd have lots of options.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Persipan, thank you ver much for your reply you have given me a lot of useful information, i think you're right i will better off studying Acces modules, but can i apply for student finance for access modules? sorry it may be a dumb question for some but i'm really not familiar with all this uni stuff lol
    I didn't know i could start out part time then go full time which I think it's better that way.
    You're right about the age, i must say you have motivated me in way :-) Thank you indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_86)
    After looking into it more, I want to study psychology bsc degree with the ou, but I'm a bit worried as I don't have no good gcse's and no academic experienc, do you think it will make sense if I go for it, there is no formal entry requirements for this degree but I'm still a bit worried, also what career opportunities will I have after this degree no further study? How long does it take to finish this course? I'm nearly 27 so I'm a bit worried about length of the course, wouldn't mind if it's a 3/4 year course

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi! Im in the same boat, Id love to do a psychology / criminology degree with OU but I have never studied any type of psychology before and im now 25. So I started with a psychology A Level, as a starting point to learn the basics etc. Then once Ive done that I will go on to do a degree with the OU. I just thought that by jumping straight in to a degree it would be very difficult escpecially as I have never studied this subject before. So by starting a bit lower and working my way up I think would really help. Im self teaching the A level because I started off with a distance learning centre called ICS Learn and was very disappointed with them. If you need any advice or help feel free to message me

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting the psychology degree in October. There seems to be a few new modules being added and all seem to be October starts so it would be worth checking how the modules workbout if you want to do it over 3/4 years. I was going to do a starter course but as I'm 34 I want to get stsrted on the degree as quick as possible. I have purchased the access/starter coursebook from eBay so will work through that till October and hopefully that will help me prepare.

On the subject of funding for the access module, if you have less than £25000 household income you can get funding for the starter course snd also for the first module on the degree. This will save thousands in fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1st off, I know this was a topic from last Year (I'm trying my luck!)

E_86, Was just wondering what choice you've made? Did you go for the full degree course, short course or gone for the A- level course, or not go ahead with it at all?

(Original post by Amy387)
    Hi! Im in the same boat, Id love to do a psychology / criminology degree with OU but I have never studied any type of psychology before and im now 25. So I started with a psychology A Level, as a starting point to learn the basics etc. Then once Ive done that I will go on to do a degree with the OU. I just thought that by jumping straight in to a degree it would be very difficult escpecially as I have never studied this subject before. So by starting a bit lower and working my way up I think would really help. Im self teaching the A level because I started off with a distance learning centre called ICS Learn and was very disappointed with them. If you need any advice or help feel free to message me

Hi Amy, how did you find the A-level course? Was it how you expected and would you recommend it....

Regards

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.