Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone just looking for advice really since i'm completely clueless about what i'm doing. I'm 20 and i have wanted to be a vet for as long as i can remember, unfortunately I've had an incredibly difficult education. Long story short i had to move school in year 4 and was only left enough time to get 6 a-c GCSE by the time i got into another school. Then i had to leave in second year of sixth form due to mental health reasons, leaving me with no A-levels to speak of. I've overcome those hurdles now and i want to get back into education and try to fix my messed up life.

I have no idea if i can even attempt to become a vet since i'm years behind and my qualifications are terrible. I was thinking of maybe redoing my GCSE in chemistry and biology before attempting to do A-levels in them plus psychology, because i have forgotten a lot of the pre A-level work i did 3-4 years ago and i always found chemistry difficult.

I have volunteered in a vet clinic for one day a week, which may be increased to more time in a few months, i also volunteer in a local animal sanctuary. I am not lazy and i'm willing to put in as much time as i have to, but i just have no idea where to start on my studies.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text, any advice is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

What exactly are your GCSE grades - how many A's do you have and which subjects. Most vet schools look for 5 A*/ A grade although Liverpool has a point scoring systemhttp://www.liv.ac.uk/veterinary-scie...sc-applicants/.

You mentioned you left sixth form due to mental health reasons, veterinary surgeons all have to sign a fitness to practice document (RCVS), it may be worth checking whether you will be affected by this.

I can suggest contacting veterinary schools admissions departments and getting specific advice from them, you may find you are more suitable to a gateway year

It is also worth looking at this course and contacting the university for further details http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergrad...ar-0/overview/

If you find it is still what you really want, good luck, study hard for your a-levels and get plenty of work experience
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Shancas)
    Hey everyone just looking for advice really since i'm completely clueless about what i'm doing. I'm 20 and i have wanted to be a vet for as long as i can remember, unfortunately I've had an incredibly difficult education. Long story short i had to move school in year 4 and was only left enough time to get 6 a-c GCSE by the time i got into another school. Then i had to leave in second year of sixth form due to mental health reasons, leaving me with no A-levels to speak of. I've overcome those hurdles now and i want to get back into education and try to fix my messed up life.

I have no idea if i can even attempt to become a vet since i'm years behind and my qualifications are terrible. I was thinking of maybe redoing my GCSE in chemistry and biology before attempting to do A-levels in them plus psychology, because i have forgotten a lot of the pre A-level work i did 3-4 years ago and i always found chemistry difficult.

I have volunteered in a vet clinic for one day a week, which may be increased to more time in a few months, i also volunteer in a local animal sanctuary. I am not lazy and i'm willing to put in as much time as i have to, but i just have no idea where to start on my studies.

Firstly, you are never to old to pursue a career in veterinary medicine - there are people in my year who are almost 30 years old and only in 2nd year, providing you are academically able and physically and mentally capable of being a vet? (these questions you have you ask yourself - a vet career is a mentally draining one and can be very stressful at uni and beyond, and is also physically and academically hard at times).

Look up online and see what the unis ask for in terms of GCSEs. From there you will know how many GCSEs you need to do and what grades you need. It will be useful to do GCSEs from science subjects if it's been a while since you did them. There are some adult colleges available either during the day or as evening classes, but this will depend on what is available in your area. There might be a fee for adult classes.

If you are doing OK with GCSEs, then you will need to re-do sixth form or attend college which will let you do A Levels. Not sure if councils will fund your Alevels if you're an adult now; you will have to look into this too. You will need to get AA in bio and chem for your A levels at minimum, any third subject you feel at grade A, and (for some unis like Liverpool) a 4th AS level to grade B of any subject you like. Again, refer to the unis website to see what grades they stipulate.

You also need lots of work experience. Your staples need to be: vet practises both small and large, farms incl. lambing and dairy, riding stables or livery. There is a whole thread on work exp. for you here so go take a look at it. You need to aim for over 10+ weeks, most students will have 15+ weeks by the time they apply. Aim for variety and quantity.

A few extracurriculars are useful to make you a more rounded applicant but this can be almost anything, so long as you can relate it to transferrable sckills for a vet (student).

Providing you get the minimum grades at GCSE & Alevels, and have the right work experience, most unis will take into consideration your disrupted education providing they see you fit to study and be a vet (and providing you see yourself fit too). I had to repeat 1 year of sixth form (ie took me 3 years to get my Alevels) as I had to go off sick in 2nd year of sixth form. My sixth form tutor saw my dr's note and was aware of my medical problems, and she explain this in her reference to all the unis I applied to. This didn't affect my application in any way and I got offered 4 interviews and a place at uni despite taking longer to complete my A levels than the majority of students (OK, so it will take you longer in your situation, but it doesn't matter too much so long as you get the grades now). I specifically asked my referee to be vague about my health issues - I didn't want uni to know what illnesses I suffered from and they never asked, but I did have to sign a declaration to say I was fit to be a vet.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have A levels maybe give Liverpool's foundation programme a look you only need 5 A grade GCSE'S to qualify along with a minimum of a weeks work experience. I think science needs to be an A and maths and English are supposed to be A grades but double check that. I also know that applications have been very low this year so the deadline for application for September has been extended and given the low applicant numbers odds of getting a place are pretty high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timbo12)
    If you don't have A levels maybe give Liverpool's foundation programme a look you only need 5 A grade GCSE'S to qualify along with a minimum of a weeks work experience. I think science needs to be an A and maths and English are supposed to be A grades but double check that. I also know that applications have been very low this year so the deadline for application for September has been extended and given the low applicant numbers odds of getting a place are pretty high.
    Thanks for the replys you guys, sorry i was away for a while. Yeah i only have 1 A in history lol, the other 5 are b and c. Im thinking i might just have to resit all my gcses and at least get As is all the essential 6 before doing anything else.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have the GCSE pre-requisites and I'm older than you. Though I do have the full 11 GCSE's. I only have 4 or 5 A's, the rest are B's. The uni's I've contacted haven't even mentioned GCSE results, they're more worried about A-levels/recent study and work experience. Contact the uni's you want to apply to, they will be able to give you the best advice.

ReputationRep:
    As an alternative... If you are open to studying outside of the UK, you will be at no disadvantage once you have your A-Levels. There are veterinary universities in Kosice, Warsaw, Wroclaw, Budapest, and a few others in Eastern Europe besides. Competition is on the rise, but less so than the UK, they are also cheaper on the whole then the UK (not counting any funding you may be entitled to in the UK).

It's only the UK that seems to put such an emphasis on early education when you are clearly further on by 20 years old! For UVM Kosice for example, it's an entrance exam that earns you a place, though you must have also completed A-Levels (grades don't even come into it as far as I know). And they certainly don't care about GCSEs! I think it's totally mad to judge someone in their 20s on exams they took at 16.

Check out the UVM Kosice thread on this forum if you're curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luinecu)
    As an alternative... If you are open to studying outside of the UK, you will be at no disadvantage once you have your A-Levels. There are veterinary universities in Kosice, Warsaw, Wroclaw, Budapest, and a few others in Eastern Europe besides. Competition is on the rise, but less so than the UK, they are also cheaper on the whole then the UK (not counting any funding you may be entitled to in the UK).

It's only the UK that seems to put such an emphasis on early education when you are clearly further on by 20 years old! For UVM Kosice for example, it's an entrance exam that earns you a place, though you must have also completed A-Levels (grades don't even come into it as far as I know). And they certainly don't care about GCSEs! I think it's totally mad to judge someone in their 20s on exams they took at 16.

Check out the UVM Kosice thread on this forum if you're curious.
    Wow thanks,

That is really useful information thank you, this will mean i wont have to try and get As in my gcses again and perhaps will save me a year of time. Im going to seriously look into this option, sounds like its perfect for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shancas)

Why dont you look at doing an access course? I am currently doing an access to nursing course and one of the girls in my group has applied to uni to do veterinary and has been accepted in three of them. The access course will allow you to redo your maths and english gcse as well as giving you a level three (A level) in biology, sociology, psychology and IT. As long as you get a lot of work experience, im sure you would stand a good chance. Plus its only a 9 month course so you could apply for uni next year! I know its not ideal but its definitely something to think about!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.