Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    i have just finished a law degree at a London university. I am yet to get the final classification for my degree but I can safely say I predict a 2:2. It's proving a bit difficult to get a job or post graduate place which doesn't want 2:1or better.
    wat options are available for situations like mine......??
    anyone please?

ReputationRep:
    If you're hoping to become a solicitor or barrister your grade is of course going to create an uphill battle - so if this is your intention then you should only really consider such a route if you have displayed excellence outside of academics.

It may be worth looking into central or local government jobs of interest to you outside of graduate schemes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi AP198
    thank you for that info, its really helpful.
    Indeed it would appear the grade I have has created an even tougher battle.
    I was actually now thinking of a career outside the legal sector. Maybe social work or something similar......
    I was looking for any pointers in the right direction.

ReputationRep:
    Social work is a good option, it's likely to pay higher in a local government environment plus better prospects for promotion and career structure than say a charity.

http://www.lgjobs.com/ - This is a good website for searching local government jobs, although not that many are entry level, although some are. Perhaps look into work experience and opportunities in social work with charities before applying for direct jobs, as they'll want experience and examples of transferable skills.

Policy related work is also another good option i.e. policy relating to social issues. http://www.w4mpjobs.org - you'll find relevant stuff on here, lots of charities and think tanks operating in a range of policy areas, including social issues.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,
    thank you very much for the website links.....really helpful, I didn't even know about these sites.
    Really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinoski08)
    Hi again,
    thank you very much for the website links.....really helpful, I didn't even know about these sites.
    Really appreciate it.
    No worries, I hope they help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.