Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A bit of help with Student Finance, a more unique story. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Alright then, I'll warn you that this will involve a bit of reading first, so if you're not up for that then go do something else.

Firstly, I am in a very complicated situation which makes getting ID for myself very complicated due to things my parents did years ago (I wont get into those details, but just humour me with this part).

I applied for student finance around March 2011 for the 2011-2012 year, but at this stage was hunting down any form of ID (at this point I had none) to send in with the forms.

In August I managed to track down a (german) birth certificate, and realised it may be an issue since it wasnt british. I called up Student Finance to explain my situation and they assured me that it would be an acceptable form of ID, with this I went on with my plans to move into my student accomodation, and started uni.

By late September, my birth certificate finally reached me (I had already started with Uni by now, confident that the student loan would go through, albeit a little bit late), and I sent the certificate to the Student Finance offices.

Mid-October, I was sent back the certificate with a letter explaining that it WOULD NOT work as an acceptable form of ID, as you could imagine I was pretty pissed.

I called up Student Finance, they fully acknowledged that they messed up but were unwilling to help me fix this problem.

I managed to financially scrape through rent for the first year of Uni, but couldnt afford the tuition fees, so I couldnt get any of my grades or complete the second/third years of the course (Luckilly the university offered me this year to try sorting things out, after which I can resume the studies where I left off).

To this day Student Finance wont help me in any way (Its against their policies etc.), even though they still fully admit they had misinformed me at the beginning, providing the false confidence that allowed me to begin my studies.

I am now slowly paying back my tuition fees via minimum wage jobs, but at this rate I wont even nearly pay back the fees before the next academic year begins, so here is my question to anyone that may know:

Is there any way that I could legally get Student Finance to fix this mess financially? I am desperate, I was good at what I studied and had a passion for it. I dont want to lose that passion amidst degrading jobs in supermarkets and warehouses.

ReputationRep:
    This is terrible. I honestly wouldn't know what to suggest to you. Student finance should be loaning that money to you since they lied to you by telling you it was an acceptable form of identification. I would take them to court.

ReputationRep:
    Can you attempt to get some form of ID from Britain? Have you got citizenship (I'm guessing you're not British)? Try to get a passport/driving licence etc as i'm guessing something is better than nothing.

Are they not giving you finance because your not British because that's nothing to do with ID just not being a national.

Have you thought about going over to the Netherlands/Ireland to study as it's much cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately to get a new form of ID, another form of ID is almost always required. I cannot get a British Passport (for reasons I forget), I cannot get a german one because I must prove my heritage back to my great grandmother (An impossible task, just trust me on that one), I cannot study abroad because I do not have a passport, and I cannot get driving licence because I dont have any form of ID they would need to provide me with one.

I really am in quite a hole here, and I have sought everywhere I can think of for help.

Something I find hilarious though, I could get JSA within 2 weeks of applying, but I cant get help to study at higher education...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but This just doesn't ring true. You cannot possibly be stateless.
    where were you born? what nationality are your parents?
    you don't have any legal redress because you can't actually provide any evidence to support your claim that you were given the OK to proceed over the phone.
    if you have a German birth certificate you qualify as an EU student for a loan for tuition fees. Why are you not even considered an EU citizen?
    how can you possibly not know why you cannot have a UK passport?

ReputationRep:
    Alright I'll answer all of your questions:

1-I was born in Germany, German mother and Irish Father (Chasing up the irish route now, I probably am a german national already but I cannot prove this at the embassy since they need birth certs back to my great grandparents which simply do not exist anymore)

2- I may not have proof of what SF told me, but they do, they have the details of the phonecalls and activities on my account recorded, I figured I had little to no legal standing but this was me hoping I could do something.

3- Had I known from the beginning that my birth cert wouldnt work for a UK citizen-based loan, I would have applied for an EU loan to begin with and avoided the mess.

4-I didnt say I didnt know why I cant get a british passport, I said that I couldnt recall at the time of typing, the reason is that without taking any kind of naturalization or citizenship test, I have no link to any family in the UK (required for a passport), nor the funds to do the aforementioned naturalization or test.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.