Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know that if you spay before a dogs first season it reduces the risk of cancer and infections but what is the risk after her first? My dog has had one season and I am looking to get her spayed, will she still be protected from breast cancer etc?

Has anyone had their dog spayed? Will she be in a lot of pain and how long for?

If I were to get another dog in the future what would be the best age to get her spayed?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Note it reduces the risk of cancer, your dog will not be immune from cancer. However, cancer's risk does increase with age, hence why it is almost unheard of to get cancer until you hit at least 50.
    I would strongly advice for spaying because she is a family pet and unless you intend on breeding (which I am assuming you aren't given you are getting them spaid) then there is no harm. It will take a while to heal and it can be expensive but can prevent a lot of future problems.

Although, I speak from the end of only having a male dog and I am assuming it is safer to neuter a male dog than spay a female given a male is less invasive than female. I would look into reviews of the vet's service and then chose the best one from there. =)

EDIT:
    I would recomend getting them spaid as soon as possible because it would mean they heal faster than an older dog.

ReputationRep:
    My dog was spayed when she was about one (we don't know her exact age as she is a rescue dog)....She was not in pain for long but was groggy the night after the operation, in fact, If I remember rightly she was back to normal the next day....The vet advised us to not let he go in water or give her too-strenuous walks the days following.... Like Scienceisgood said it reduces the risk of cancer plus you dont freak out when you see spots of blood twice a year! My advice would be to check out your vet, we actually booked my dog into the wrong surgery and weren't too pleased with the way she was treated...

Hope this helps, would love to see a photo of your dog

ReputationRep:
    There's lots of debate about when to get them spayed. Vets often say 6 months to try and get it done before any heat, to minimize those risks.
    However, at 6 months, she's still a baby. It is so young. Especially for big dogs, which are still physically maturing 2-3 years old.
    So many people say to spay after one heat, which is what I personally did - she seemed like such a baby as well, I couldn't imagine putting her through it at so young. As it was, she was done at around 1 year and 2 months, and some people STILL debate about waiting for even longer.
    But honestly, they are still completely under developed, no where near mature, and for us to be performing such surgery.... :/

Finally, I didn't want to wait any longer because I was extremely paranoid about the risk of pyometra, which can be deadly, and the risk is increased with each heat they go through.
    Check these links out

http://www.svsvet.com/resources/canine-pyometra
    http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/ug_pyometra.htm

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/medical/neuter.shtml
    http://www.2ndchance.info/spayneuter.htm (particularly the parts about early-age, ie bones)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise4)
    My dog was spayed when she was about one (we don't know her exact age as she is a rescue dog)....She was not in pain for long but was groggy the night after the operation, in fact, If I remember rightly she was back to normal the next day....The vet advised us to not let he go in water or give her too-strenuous walks the days following.... Like Scienceisgood said it reduces the risk of cancer plus you dont freak out when you see spots of blood twice a year! My advice would be to check out your vet, we actually booked my dog into the wrong surgery and weren't too pleased with the way she was treated...

Hope this helps, would love to see a photo of your dog
    Thanks for the reply! I definitely want it done but I don't want to see her in loads of pain!

Here's some pics. (She thinks shes a lapdog and will do what she can to be close to me, even sitting ony desk when Im in the pc..she weighs 32kg now though lol!) Also she will steal your bath if you run it and don't shut the door lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farawayheartbeat)
    There's lots of debate about when to get them spayed. Vets often say 6 months to try and get it done before any heat, to minimize those risks.
    However, at 6 months, she's still a baby. It is so young. Especially for big dogs, which are still physically maturing 2-3 years old.
    So many people say to spay after one heat, which is what I personally did - she seemed like such a baby as well, I couldn't imagine putting her through it at so young. As it was, she was done at around 1 year and 2 months, and some people STILL debate about waiting for even longer.
    But honestly, they are still completely under developed, no where near mature, and for us to be performing such surgery.... :/

Finally, I didn't want to wait any longer because I was extremely paranoid about the risk of pyometra, which can be deadly, and the risk is increased with each heat they go through.
    Check these links out

http://www.svsvet.com/resources/canine-pyometra
    http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/ug_pyometra.htm

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/medical/neuter.shtml
    http://www.2ndchance.info/spayneuter.htm (particularly the parts about early-age, ie bones)
    Thanks for the reply. This is my worry also that she is still young (14months) and I couldn't have made her have it done at six, i would have cried.

I want her to be as protected from the risks as the surgery allows and I know younger is better for that but I don't know, she still seems a baby to me lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Awwwwww she is soooooooooooooo cute! Beautiful dog, what's her name?
    Haha wish my dog jumped in the bath! She's smelly

Nahhhh dogs are extremely tolerant and brave... Much more than us wussy humans! Just think about it, for a little bit of pain that could prevent the risk of a deadly disease which causes lengthy suffering..... To me it's a no-brainer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise4)
    Awwwwww she is soooooooooooooo cute! Beautiful dog, what's her name?
    Haha wish my dog jumped in the bath! She's smelly

Nahhhh dogs are extremely tolerant and brave... Much more than us wussy humans! Just think about it, for a little bit of pain that could prevent the risk of a deadly disease which causes lengthy suffering..... To me it's a no-brainer
    Her name is Tilly Whay dog do you have? I'm desperate to buy another lol!

Yeah I definitely going to get it done there is just so much argument over the best time that I have put it off until now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Gorgeous! Mine is Bracken, we think she has a bit of alsation and collie in her but i think she is a heinz 57 (bit of everything)!

Cool, well best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My dog was spayed at 6 months old and the only side effect was that she was a bit groggy when she got out. The REAL problem was that the vet told us to give her chicken and rice and slowly move her back onto her normal food however now (5 years later) she still refuses to eat her food without any chicken on it! I would get it done as soon as you can, it really stops the problem of having her in season!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by sarah_22_16)
    Thanks for the reply! I definitely want it done but I don't want to see her in loads of pain!

Here's some pics. (She thinks shes a lapdog and will do what she can to be close to me, even sitting ony desk when Im in the pc..she weighs 32kg now though lol!) Also she will steal your bath if you run it and don't shut the door lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spaying your dog is worth while procedure because it reduces (although will not completely eliminate) the chances of mammary tumours, infections and means she cannot get pregnant. The best protective effect for cancer is when dogs are spayed before their first season, decreasing slightly after their first season, and then will continue declining the more seasons she has. It's better to get it done earlier than later. Usually, in the UK vets will spay at 6 months, and others after the first season in the UK, ask your vet for advise about this and their protocols as this will vary.

Yes they are young, and anaesthesia carries some risk, but healthy pups usually bounce back quickly following surgery. Your vet will provide pain killers during the op and will most likely give you some painkiller tablets to take home, so her pain will be controlled. She will probably be a bit uncomfortable, but won't be suffering in immense pain. She is likely to feel tired after surgery (so do people after surgery) but this won't be longer than a few days. If you have more specific concerns or are unsure, I am sure your vet would be happy to go through all the pros and cons for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.