Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    These are the kind of people who have been annoying me no-end lately. The kinds of people who champion 'freedom of speech' but are not willing for anyone to challenge anything they say.

For example, they say 'Girls are so self-obsessed'. Fine. They're allowed to say that.
    Then someone challenges them - 'Well, no, not ALL girls. You're wrong'.
    SUDDENLY, their freedom of speech is being challenged!! How dare someone openly disagree with them?! So I guess freedom of speech only works when they're expressing their opinion, not when people are challenging it?

You also see it in race arguments.
    This sort of thing: 'If you don't support our troops, then you should **** off home!'
    So....our troops fought for freedom. Only it apparently doesn't count if you want to criticise the army or retain your citizenship. You're only free to support them, not to criticise them. Is that freedom?

It seems some people are only open to freedom of speech, or freedoms in general, so long as you're using your freedom of speech to say exactly what they want to hear, and nothing else!!!

(NB the arguments I have used aren't anything to do with my views on women, or the army, they are just common examples which I have seen).

ReputationRep:
    9 times out of 10, it's called trolling. Don't get so hung up on it :-)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.