Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I admit, the title may be a little misleading, but hear me out...

I know it sounds stupid. I love being at the University of York, I love my college (Derwent, in case anyone was wondering/cares), I love the campus, I love the city, I love everything that goes on and most of all, I love the people.

There's one problem: I hate my course.

I'm currently studying Language and Linguistic Science and doing pretty well but it's not what I want to do. I want to and always have wanted to have a career in technical theatre. For this to happen a degree in the area would be incredibly helpful.

I'm so happy that I got into such a good University but I'm doing a course that other people expected me to do because I'm 'academic' not because I can see myself having a career in it. If I want to get a degree in the subject I'm passionate in then I have to drop out of York this year because of student finance.

My Mum is on board with my change and we've set plans involving work experience and what I need to do to be successful.

Am I being stupid in changing?

ReputationRep:
    No, you're not being stupid. I think it's great that you've decided to follow you heart and not do what others expect you to do. You're also very lucky that your mum is on board with it, as all too often, you see parents not supporting changes of degree, especially when switching to a 'less academic' degree.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Theres no problem with that, I'm from derwent college as well and 2 people i know in the same boat have dropped out because its not what they wanna do. Theres no point going through 3 years of something you really hate, itll just put you off further education in the future, waste your money and restrict your further student loan opportunities.

You could possibly ask to try to transfer into a course at York, the First year doesn't count so they may let you move into the theatre related stuff on Hes East. But it might be a long shot.. may be worth a try though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieAntWarrior)

I know it sounds stupid. I love being at the University of York, I love my college (Derwent, in case anyone was wondering/cares), I love the campus, I love the city, I love everything that goes on and most of all, I love the people.

I'm currently studying Language and Linguistic Science and doing pretty well but it's not what I want to do. I want to and always have wanted to have a career in technical theatre. For this to happen a degree in the area would be incredibly helpful.

I'm so happy that I got into such a good University but I'm doing a course that other people expected me to do because I'm 'academic' not because I can see myself having a career in it. If I want to get a degree in the subject I'm passionate in then I have to drop out of York this year because of student finance.

My Mum is on board with my change and we've set plans involving work experience and what I need to do to be successful.

Do York do anything to do with Technical Theatre? If so, there is no need to drop out, just talk to your university in the relevant department and you can change courses. If not, yes I think you're doing the right thing, follow your heart!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any work experience in theatre yet or will it be your first? I'd usually advice you to do the work experience before you drop out! Even though you may love it, you might not enjoy working in this profession (happened to quite a lot of my friends). A good back-up degree (even if you don't want to work in it) would do no harm.

Good on you for having the guts to go with your gut.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageExcellence)
    Theres no problem with that, I'm from derwent college as well and 2 people i know in the same boat have dropped out because its not what they wanna do. Theres no point going through 3 years of something you really hate, itll just put you off further education in the future, waste your money and restrict your further student loan opportunities.

You could possibly ask to try to transfer into a course at York, the First year doesn't count so they may let you move into the theatre related stuff on Hes East. But it might be a long shot.. may be worth a try though
    Unfortunately the only theatre related course they have is the writing, directing and performing course which is all drama related and I'm about as good ON stage as a plank of wood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    Do York do anything to do with Technical Theatre? If so, there is no need to drop out, just talk to your university in the relevant department and you can change courses. If not, yes I think you're doing the right thing, follow your heart!
    You should have a look at the 13/14 prospectus and see.. they're expanding Hes East and all of the theatre and technical related theatre stuff is over there. Personally i don't know off the top of my head. Good luck though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arina162)
    Do you have any work experience in theatre yet or will it be your first? I'd usually advice you to do the work experience before you drop out! Even though you may love it, you might not enjoy working in this profession (happened to quite a lot of my friends). A good back-up degree (even if you don't want to work in it) would do no harm.
    I've spent the majority of my time outside of school in the wings of theatres, performing when younger and as soon as I could working shows and tours all over the country as technical crew during my holidays and free time. I just need to get more experience with more venues and bigger companies.

ReputationRep:
    I've spent the majority of my time outside of school in the wings of theatres, performing when younger and as soon as I could working shows and tours all over the country as technical crew during my holidays and free time. I just need to get more experience with more venues and bigger companies.
    http://www.york.ac.uk/tftv/undergraduate/bsc-film-tv/

this might be useful

ReputationRep:
    I love uni so I'm dropping out.
    Makes sense :confused:

ReputationRep:

Lmao you think people with strong academics take up a **** course like Language and Linguistic Science?

:rofl:

To answer your question, no you're not stupid to change to something you enjoy.

ReputationRep:

Ohh I wish you realised this earlier - your uni would have swapped you if there was space on the course. I'm afraid to tell you, financially this is gonna cost you (someone had to be the bearer of bad news). Nonetheless it is possibly speak to your uni about it.

I know how you feel about living up to expectation - you are a zombie if you do this. Believe it or not this is gonna be the making of you (really cheesy I know), but your gonna be making your own decisions, as well as mistakes. And in a few years time you'll look back and no matter what happens - you'll be fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    you'll just wonder "what if" all your life if you don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mycroft Holmes)
    Lmao you think people with strong academics take up a **** course like Language and Linguistic Science?

:rofl:
    I meant I took the essay writing, philosophy and science based course as opposed to a technical theatre course that is more hands on.

And it's really not worth talking about **** courses, anyone can argue that any course is ****.

ReputationRep:

Don't worry, there's no economic value whatsoever in linguistics, I know because I study it too

If you are in first year there's absolutely nothing wrong with dropping out because student finance will cover you for your degree length plus one year. In fact I wish I had gone to the "wrong" university for a year and dropped out just to buy time before I have to get a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Don't worry, there's no economic value whatsoever in linguistics, I know because I study it too

If you are in first year there's absolutely nothing wrong with dropping out because student finance will cover you for your degree length plus one year. In fact I wish I had gone to the "wrong" university for a year and dropped out just to buy time before I have to get a job

Haha, I've successfully put it off two years longer than originally intended
    ...but I'm going to spend the next year working harder than ever with two part time jobs and any work experience possible :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageExcellence)
    You're so ambitious, aren't you? You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube. A well-scrubbed, hustling rube, with a little taste. Good nutrition's given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you? And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed - pure West Virginia. What does your father do? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you. All those tedious, sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars, while you could only dream of getting out. Getting anywhere, getting all the way to the intellectual elite..
    Nice reference!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mycroft Holmes)
    That wasn't my intention, I was commenting on the aforementioned statement because I found it amusing. If that's what he considers to be a degree for someone with strong academics then... :sigh: So in short, no.
    I didn't say I have strong academics and I don't think I do, hence the '' around the word.
    Regardless, there's no denying that comparatively, linguistics is more academic than technical theatre.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.