Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    As username suggests I have a son in his second year at Uni. He currently has the minimum loan as his household income was more than 70k. A year ago his father and I separated and we no longer have joint finances - his father does not contribute anything :mad:.

My son returns to his family home during the holidays. I work, earning just under 27k per annum.

Can he/I apply to have our income assessed and get a grant/bigger loan? Until we finally sort out a divorce settlement things are tight for me. Son's loan is taken up entirely by rent.

Thanks in advance for help.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Yes they should be able to re-asses the amount he gets, he just has to change a few details on student finance and you will be asked to send in a divorce certificate along with a p45/p60 ( to prove how much you earn) and fill out parent assessment form online or by post, and they should bump the loan and grant quite a bit!

hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.