Nominate yourself for a Non Permament position on the Security Council. Watch

This discussion is closed.
Cataclysm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Switzerland would like the opportunity to be a non-permanent member of Security Council, we realise that our stay in the MUN has been short but the ability to be on the Security Council would allow us to build stronger relations with other nations of the SC and that of the GA.

Switzerland has played a big role in the UN; we have strengthened the role of the UN and closely followed up UN's Millennium Development Goals as well as promoting Human Security. In the MUN we accept the fact that we had a short stay so far but we have contributed to Indonesia in the MUN when they requested for aid for H5N1.

Switzerland plays an active role in the protection and promotion of human rights particularly with regards to the most vulnerable groups such as children, women and ethnic minorities.
brimstone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
India requests that Venezuela use capital letters and punctuate their writing properly, as to make it easier and clearer to read.
Thank you
Nightowl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I don't think it was difficult to read at all.
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
India requests that Venezuela use capital letters and punctuate their writing properly, as to make it easier and clearer to read.
Thank you
The US would really appreciate this as well. I'm not used to reading 'raw' text.
Nightowl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
It must be some software Agent installed on me which allowed me to read it. :p:
Dhesi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Italy would like to nominate itself. I fully appreciate that I've not been around for the past month but I shall make a full and glorious return on tuesday.

Mike
RichyP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A quick question, when voting are we voting for the rep. who we feel most deserves a place on the SC or the country?
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It must be some software Agent installed on me which allowed me to read it.
You converted it to binary anyway. Makes no difference to you!
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A quick question, when voting are we voting for the rep. who we feel most deserves a place on the SC or the country?
A combination of both I believe. The Rep should be a good & active debater, and your country should have no animosity towards that country.
A Y A Z
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Being one of the more important countries in the Middle East, the U.A.E would like to be nominated in the SC.

The U.A.E shares close ties with Iraq, Iran, the KSA and Kuwait. It makes influential decisions in the GCC, as it is one of the more prominent members.

The U.A.E alone boasts of having three-quarters of the world's heavy machinery, including cranes, trucks and cargo ships. The development here is astounding.

U.A.E considers helping other countries a duty. The Tsunami and the earth quake in the sub-continent saw the U.A.E raise funds worth $9 Billion, including medicine, make shift tents, clothes and Professional help.

The U.A.E may be considered one of the 'new' members, but only when given a chance, will it be able to show the MUN its potential as one of the leading nations.

A Y A Z
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow, we sure have a large number of Nominations for the non-perm seat. Anyone interested in Germany?
RichyP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think Nightowl's announce the German vacancy in the GA yet.
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think Nightowl's announce the German vacancy in the GA yet.
Hmm... you're right. But I merely stated that since so many people wanted to be on the SC, that could be a solution.
IainM
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Swaziland would like to declare it's support for the UAE in it's application for the security council. We feel it would be an asset to the council providing an alternative point of view.
RobbieC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by brimstone)
India worries that Iraq may be too unstable at the moment to sort out their own government, let alone take a place on the Security Council.
It is true, there is instability in Iraq. However, we feel that only with a direct link to the nucleus of the United Nations, albeit a temporary link, can we achieve a swift resolution - at least plan it, so the Iraqi people can more quickly realise the wonderous democracy we are being gifted. It is beyond our control that there is anarchy on our streets, but our political system and process, has never been more stable - and this prosperity will continue, if we take appropriate consolidatory steps. We feel this is one of those steps, and hope our application is seriously considered by all delegates.

Iraq does appreciate concerns from India, and thanks it for its foresight; we just feel as a people this is the direction we need to get things back on track in Iraq.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by A Y A Z)
The U.A.E alone boasts of having three-quarters of the world's heavy machinery, including cranes, trucks and cargo ships. The development here is astounding.
I have serious doubts about whether you have three-quarters of the world's heavy machinery in the UAE. Indonesia would like the Ambassador to provide reliable sources to back up such statements. We, on the under hand, do consider ourselves as represetatives of Muslims all around the world (including the Middle East) since we are the largest Muslim country on the planet, yet practise moderate islam and have embraced all the traits of democracy.

Indonesia also believes that Switzerland should not be appointed to the SC since the country has only been part of the UN for approximately 8 years, and lacks the fundamental influence that is required to be a SC member due to its neutrality in most issues. We believe that Switzerland would be more effective in an advisory role.
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Dang practically everyone has nominated himself for a seat here, heh.

The UK does not believe that Venezuela is ready for a seat on the UNSC, and neither do we believe that the UAE is read due to its low experience around these parts.

Also Switzerland, whatever happened to your policy of neutrality?
A Y A Z
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nutter)
I have serious doubts about whether you have three-quarters of the world's heavy machinery in the UAE. Indonesia would like the Ambassador to provide reliable sources to back up such statements. We, on the under hand, do consider ourselves as represetatives of Muslims all around the world (including the Middle East) since we are the largest Muslim country on the planet, yet practise moderate islam and have embraced all the traits of democracy.

Indonesia also believes that Switzerland should not be appointed to the SC since the country has only been part of the UN for approximately 8 years, and lacks the fundamental influence that is required to be a SC member due to its neutrality in most issues. We believe that Switzerland would be more effective in an advisory role.
As requested by the Indonesian Representative, the U.A.E is willing to provide any, and all information needed to back its claims.

The U.A.E is one of the most influential Muslim countries in the Middle East, on par with Saudi Arabia. Most of its neighbours depend on the U.A.E as a reliable economic source; trading being the major market in this region.

We would like to remind Indonesia, that although it is the biggest Muslim country on the planet, it will hardly influence, or have a say, in matters of the Arab World, i.e. the GCC. The U.A.E being an Arab country, will be able to represent the reamining Arab countries in this region. This, however, CAN NOT be the case with Indonesia.
A Y A Z
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Knogle)
Dang practically everyone has nominated himself for a seat here, heh.

The UK does not believe that Venezuela is ready for a seat on the UNSC, and neither do we believe that the UAE is read due to its low experience around these parts.
Also Switzerland, whatever happened to your policy of neutrality?
Perhaps is UK referred to an earlier statement made by me, I did mention that we were relatively new.

However, only IF elected will we be able to show our potential.

Bear in mind, were Iraq to be elected, then the U.A.E, just like all the other Arab Countries, would play a vital part in its reform.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by A Y A Z)
We would like to remind Indonesia, that although it is the biggest Muslim country on the planet, it will hardly influence, or have a say, in matters of the Arab World, i.e. the GCC. The U.A.E being an Arab country, will be able to represent the reamining Arab countries in this region. This, however, CAN NOT be the case with Indonesia.
I'm afraid I have to cateorically and emphatically reject that statement as trash. Indonesia has massive influence in the Muslim world, the Middle East included. People are what make up countries, and we sure have more than enough of them to match the total population of the Middle East. We are also at the centre of the war of terrorism, and therefore thing it is pertinent for us to be a part of the UNSC so we can represent the developing countries, Muslim community, as well as concerns about the use of violence in resolving conflict, regardless of the cause. The UAE on the other hand may be an economic powerhouse of the region but definitely lacks any distinct position on the global front.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.42%
No - but I will (6)
3.68%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (86)
52.76%

Watched Threads