Nominate yourself for a Non Permament position on the Security Council. Watch

This discussion is closed.
A Y A Z
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Indonesia may influence other Muslim countries like Pakistan, India, or Bangladesh, but I assure the SC, that it CAN'T and so far has NEVER had a say in the matters of the GCC, or the Arab Countries.

All the Arab Countries are dependant on their oil, and on each other through trade. I have never heard, or neither know of Indonesia having any say AT ALL in decisions influencing the Arab Countries. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

Indonesia may well be the largest Muslim country on the planet. As the Indonesian Rep pointed out, people are what make a country; it you prove ill to think that the Arabs would accept Indonesia as their leader. They would want an Arab representative. Some one from their own. Someone who knows the workings of the Arab World.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by A Y A Z)
Indonesia may influence other Muslim countries like Pakistan, India, or Bangladesh, but I assure the SC, that it CAN'T and so far has NEVER had a say in the matters of the GCC, or the Arab Countries.

All the Arab Countries are dependant on their oil, and on each other through trade. I have never heard, or neither know of Indonesia having any say AT ALL in decisions influencing the Arab Countries. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE.

Indonesia may well be the largest Muslim country on the planet. As the Indonesian Rep pointed out, people are what make a country; it you prove ill to think that the Arabs would accept Indonesia as their leader. They would want an Arab representative. Some one from their own. Someone who knows the workings of the Arab World.
I frankly think the Arabs do not have sufficient economic or political clout/influence currently to warrant a position on the Security Council. You need to prove your mantle via the GA instead of reserving your comments and expressing concerns only during regional meetings. I'm afraid your tenure on the SC would be extremely futile and ineffective if you are only going to act on such selfish interests of the Arabs, which would mainly involve economic circumstances. Indonesia does not forsee involving itself in the GCC simply because we feel that its a regional grouping with little capacity to influence global policies and can therefore be given less weight.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And likewise, I should add, the UAE has absolutely zero influence on Indonesia's policies as well as any other country in the region, barring trade policies of course.

(I'm heading to bed now so please don't expect a reply for the next few hours.)
aiman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You people are lucky you can debate this, this time.
Next time the US is rigging the poll so that the seats go to Israel and Bhutan!
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by aiman)
You people are lucky you can debate this, this time.
Next time the US is rigging the poll so that the seats go to Israel and Bhutan!
Yay! :p:
RichyP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can't do that, non perms have a maximum number of consecutive terms of 2
aiman
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can't do that, non perms have a maximum number of consecutive terms of 2
You question what the US cant do? :p:

Edit: We already have a plan in place involving changing Israel's name to Isreal, and resubmitting it as a new country :ninja:
Nightowl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
That would make life alot easier for me (I keep misspelling it "Isreal" )

oh, and I CAN actually rig polls if I want
Ulv!
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by A Y A Z)
As requested by the Indonesian Representative, the U.A.E is willing to provide any, and all information needed to back its claims.

The U.A.E is one of the most influential Muslim countries in the Middle East, on par with Saudi Arabia. Most of its neighbours depend on the U.A.E as a reliable economic source; trading being the major market in this region.

We would like to remind Indonesia, that although it is the biggest Muslim country on the planet, it will hardly influence, or have a say, in matters of the Arab World, i.e. the GCC. The U.A.E being an Arab country, will be able to represent the reamining Arab countries in this region. This, however, CAN NOT be the case with Indonesia.
cut out the bickering guys, both the U.A.E. and Indonesia are very important countries, albeit for different reasons, at the moment.
Muskateer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nigeria believes that this candidacy lends a considerable distraction for students at this vital and frantic stage in the academic year.

I believe it is more fair to allow time, maybe till the 1st June itself for all the nations to stake their claim. Nigeria wishes to make a claim and believes she would be a strong candidate but as I reiterate, the represntative has a conflicting interests personelly which are acting as a political constraint at this time.
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ulv!)
cut out the bickering guys, both the U.A.E. and Indonesia are very important countries, albeit for different reasons, at the moment.
Common, that's not bickering.. it's debate. :rolleyes: Seems like people around here are uneasy with fierce debate. They're fine as long as they don't resort to ad hominem attacks and libel, which they haven't.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ulv!)
Indonesia thinks that you are in no position to comment. This is an intellectual, rigorous debate and is the very reason why this MUN exists. If we're not going to discuss such issues, MUN does become irrelevant. Now if you have nothing relevant to say on the matter, you're more than welcomed to stay out.

Don't post just for the sake of posting.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Knogle)
Common, that's not bickering.. it's debate. :rolleyes: Seems like people around here are uneasy with fierce debate. They're fine as long as they don't resort to ad hominem attacks and libel, which they haven't.
Precisely.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The UK would like to formally express strong displeasure with the conduct of the Indonesian representative in the MUN. While be strongly believe that Indonesia is a budding democracy and has undergone spectacular, positive reformations, we believe that the poor quality of its representative deems the country unsuitable for a place on the UNSC. This is the official view of the UK and this is what we'll vote by. Indonesia can of course disagree as it sees fit.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*Sigh*
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Apollo)
*Sigh*
Strangely enough, I feel likewise.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Feel free to start a motion to censure me if you please - Indonesia is confident that it has acted in very good faith and that all, if not most country representatives would be able to see that I am performing my duties to the best of my capacity, and if the UK does not agree with my views, it would unfortunately have to deal with it herself. We are willing to defend anything we've said in the UNGA. We too think that the UK representative is rather lacklustre but am willing to accomodate the shortfalls, in the spirit of mutual cooperation.

EDIT: I would be very amused if you start a motion.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
*Sigh*
It would perhaps be more cosntructive if the ambassador could elaborate further, because such emotions can be easily misinterpreted.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nutter)
It would perhaps be more cosntructive if the ambassador could elaborate further, because such emotions can be easily misinterpreted.
Just sort of tired of the constant bickering in this entire forum. Seems like lately all we've had are power struggles, calls for resignations, motions to censure and lots and lots of fighting. Not talking about anyone in particular, just in general.
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just sort of tired of the constant bickering in this entire forum. Seems like lately all we've had are power struggles, calls for resignations, motions to censure and lots and lots of fighting.
I think that does resemble the UN in its current state actually, so we're well on track!

Seriously though, it's not that I take great pleasure in such arguments, but rather because I'm compelled to due to my capacity as the Indonesian ambassador.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (442)
37.81%
No - but I will (88)
7.53%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (559)
47.82%

Watched Threads