Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just off the top of my head this is a list of manc bands I can think off. All these bands have had commerical sucess.

Joy Division
    New Order
    M People
    Stone Roses
    Bee Geee's
    Hollies
    Herman's Hermits
    Freddie and the Dreamers
    Davey Jones
    Simpy Red
    Happy Mondays
    Black Grape
    Electronic
    Buzzcocks
    808 State
    N-TRANCE
    The Doves
    Alfie
    Badly Drawn Boy]
    The Smiths
    Morrisey
    James
    Take That
    Oasis
    Elkie Brookes
    Ewen McColl
    Lisa Stansfield
    10cc
    Duruti Column
    Certain Ratio
    The Charletons
    The Fall
    Kim Marsh
    Suzzane Blondhair whathername
    Added: Russel Waston

Ok I can't think of any more at this moment of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Just off the top of my head this is a list of manc bands I can think off. All these bands have had commerical sucess.

Joy Division
    New Order
    M People
    Stone Roses
    Bee Geee's
    Hollies
    Herman's Hermits
    Freddie and the Dreamers
    Davey Jones
    Simpy Red
    Happy Mondays
    Black Grape
    Electronic
    Buzzcocks
    808 State
    N-TRANCE
    The Doves
    Alfie
    Badly Drawn Boy]
    The Smiths
    Morrisey
    James
    Take That
    Oasis
    Elkie Brookes
    Ewen McColl
    Lisa Stansfield
    10cc
    Duruti Column
    Certain Ratio
    The Charletons
    The Fall
    Kim Marsh
    amazingtrade

ReputationRep:

Joy Division
    New Order
    M People
    Stone Roses
    Bee Geee's
    Hollies
    Herman's Hermits
    Freddie and the Dreamers
    Davey Jones
    Simpy Red
    Happy Mondays
    Black Grape
    Electronic
    Buzzcocks
    808 State
    N-TRANCE
    The Doves
    Alfie
    Badly Drawn Boy]
    The Smiths
    Morrisey
    James
    Take That
    Oasis
    Elkie Brookes
    Ewen McColl
    Lisa Stansfield
    10cc
    Duruti Column
    Certain Ratio
    The Charletons
    The Fall
    Kim Marsh

Russell Watson is from Mancester too! Don't forget the classically-minded!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Russell Watson is from Mancester too! Don't forget the classically-minded!
    Well technicaly he is from Salford but then a good 3rd of my list are from Salford. Salford is in Greater Manchester so it counts. I will add it to my list. Plus Salford actually shares it borders with Manchester city centre.

ReputationRep:
    You could probably make a similar list with any city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I doubt it, how many bands have come from Leeds? Not many, the major cities in the UK for music are London (because of its sheer size), Manchester and Liverpool.

No other city apart form Liverpool seems to have the same sense of pride, i.e there are so many manc clubs and bars and play mainly manc music. Liverpool has this with Merseybeat.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester's just an inspiring place, and the scene perpetuates itself, people recognise the effect of Madchester and the history, so we end up with more bands touring here than probably any other city. Certainly any international tour which includes London includes Manchester. There's still alot of poverty around too, as there always has been, which I'm suire inspires people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Seriously not a chance. Nothing else is on that scale. Manchester is widely recognised to be the home of some of the most influential music ever. Talk to any anglophile musician in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Manchester's just an inspiring place, and the scene perpetuates itself, people recognise the effect of Madchester and the history, so we end up with more bands touring here than probably any other city. Certainly any international tour which includes London includes Manchester. There's still alot of poverty around too, as there always has been, which I'm suire inspires people.
    Yeah I read in the Evening News that the Manchester Evening News attracts more of the bigger stars that Maddison Square New York. Apparantly more famous people have played there in the last five years than any other venue in the world. I think you are right about the poverty thing, it may explain why there is a lot of song writers from Salford.

As for Madchester I am too young to really experience any of it, I would say it existed from 1987-1997. I guess Oasis was the last of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Seriously not a chance. Nothing else is on that scale. Manchester is widely recognised to be the home of some of the most influential music ever. Talk to any anglophile musician in the US.
    well the thread title says creative people not musicians. fair enough for bands i might agree.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I read in the Evening News that the Manchester Evening News attracts more of the bigger stars that Maddison Square New York. Apparantly more famous people have played there in the last five years than any other venue in the world. I think you are right about the poverty thing, it may explain why there is a lot of song writers from Salford.

As for Madchester I am too young to really experience any of it, I would say it existed from 1987-1997. I guess Oasis was the last of it.
    Yup, officially the busiest place in the world for gigs. Quite a surprise, because I never really pay any attention to the place, I only hear about the Linkin Parks, Radioheads, Beyoncés etc when they play.

As am I, but I know that just about every indie boy ever cites the Smiths as being unrivalled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    well the thread title says creative people not musicians. fair enough for bands i might agree.
    Well if I had put music in the title this thread may have been moved. But Musisians are creative well proper ones are anyway. There have been a few famous manc aritists too such as LS Lowery (though is a Salfordian).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I think the poverty in Manchester's history has also given it a big of oomph in the other arts too, with the likes of Lowry etc. I also doubt many cities outside of London enjoy galleries like the cornerhouse, underground scenes like Afflecks Palace. It's also got quite a presence in TV too, with things like Queer as Folk, and those crappy series like Cutting It. Dare I say it, Coronation Street?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.