Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

I just wanted to know what you think about doing engineering in coventry, aerospace to be more specific, as I will be going there next year

I've seen they have some really good new facilities and I know the uni is not in the top but it's not that bad at all ? ( the course was recently ranked 27th in the country)

It's not in one of the most expensive places either

So yeah if anyone is there now or has lived any past experiences I'd like to know! thankss

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to finish my first year there, so I feel suitably qualified to answer your questions. I am doing mechanical though, but hopefully this is still relevant.

The new building is quite nice, it's a major improvement over what there used to be. For aerospace there is a harrier jet in the basement as well as several flight simulators. You will also make use of the woodworking shop when you do your projects. The woodworking shop is part of what I'd class as "old campus" whereas things like the new engineering building are the "new campus". So it's a little aged, but it's perfectly fine.

This year was the first when the new engineering building opened, and it did have a few teething problems, but it seems okay now. We're getting more hardware in the main workshop (in the basement) so that's developing too.

The lecturers are all quite good and the engineering course seems quite well structured. As an aerospace guy, you'll do the same labs as the other engineers and you'll probably do similar introductory projects such as bridge building, metal workshop induction, etc. I think your first year project may involve making an RC plane - We made an RC car, so I think you'd be doing that.

But yeah, it's all fine really. I haven't had any problems yet. Let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to know.

ReputationRep:
    All of that sounds really good

So basically apart from the harrier, the flight simulators and the wind tunnel there are more workshops for projects and that? I just hadn't seen them when I had a look at the online tour haha

I assume you have big classroom lectures and then like seminars in a smaller place ?

I also wanted to know what you see in this module called 'aeronautical engineering' but I guess you don't know

How about the difficulty of the other subjects in general ?

Anyway don't want to make this longer, thanks for answering !

ReputationRep:
    Well, you'll do labs. I am fairly certain you'll do workshops too. It's basically essential skills ranging from CAD to wood/metal working. We also did things like marketing, rebuilding an engine, etc.

There are the big lectures (and I think you'll do some of them with the mechanical/automotive/motorsport engineers) and then you'll go into smaller groups for tutorials. Basically just revision lessons where you can actually go over the topics and ask more questions. Those are in groups of 30 or so (the big big lectures can be 200-250) and they'll happen some time after that main lecture. Similarly, those workshops and exercises will be in smaller groups and you'll typically do those things with your tutor group - The tutor group, for us, is around 12 students (plus a member of staff) and you'll work together, present things together and that sort of thing. You may do projects with them too.

The subjects haven't been too bad. The first year is a levelling off period to get everyone up to the same standard, and then the second year will start to put those skills into effect. Which sort of areas are you asking about?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.