Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys !

a little help is needed.

im planning to send out CV's via Post, everytime I go into a shop they say "apply online" when I apply online I hardly or never get a reply back.

however if I send the CV to the address direct to the Manager he/she can open it up and have a quick read and if im good enough maybe get called for the interview.

my question is.... on the envelope how do I address it ?
    for instance

The Manager
    JD Sports
    1234 Oxford Street
    London
    w1

like this ?

or is it another way ?
    also shall I put my address at the back ? because itll have it on the CV anyway.

cheers !

ReputationRep:
    Not to be negative, but I'm not sure sending your CV by the post wouldn't be very helpful either. My manager has a draw full of CV's which he's just dumped there until they get thrown out eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdviceSeeker09)
    Not to be negative, but I'm not sure sending your CV by the post wouldn't be very helpful either. My manager has a draw full of CV's which he's just dumped there until they get thrown out eventually.
    just saw the price for stamps aswell, a book of 100 would set me back atleast £50.00 :\

ReputationRep:
    You should post a package containing a shoe with a note reading "Now I've got my foot in the door, how about an interview?"

You're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP1989)
    You should post a package containing a shoe with a note reading "Now I've got my foot in the door, how about an interview?"

You're welcome.
    no problem mate, will let you know how that goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thaistick)
    just saw the price for stamps aswell, a book of 100 would set me back atleast £50.00 :\
    There's also that!
    I think your best bet is to just continue applying online. There's so many people applying for the same roles that I guess they can't reply to everyone. It does get frustrating though when you don't receive any news whatsoever.

Is there anybody you know that could get you a foot in the door? I have been very lucky with mine, even though they have all been part time jobs.
    My first job I got through my friend as she put in a word for me, and the second job the manager came into my old work and asked me to apply

Also, have you thought of getting somebody to look at your CV? There could be room for improvement or things you are not highlighting enough that will make you stand out from others

ReputationRep:

You're welcome.
    On a purely technical level he would have his shoe through the door, rather than his foot. To accomplish the latter might well be thought to show more verve and commitment, but at the same time would probably cause a horrible mess both in the manager's in tray and the OP's living room. Furthermore, it cannot be ignored that this stratagem could only be used twice, before the OP would have to resort to other body parts. For example, 'please give me a hand to get the job' could be a worthwhile avenue to explore albeit that accomplishing the writing of the CV might then be impeded.

All in all I'm tempted to say that while prima facie your idea has subtlety as well as a certain cunning, the OP should beware and perhaps send something more anodyne. Why not a muffin basket, or some happy kittens?

ReputationRep:
    My manager just puts them through the shredder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    On a purely technical level he would have his shoe through the door, rather than his foot. To accomplish the latter might well be thought to show more verve and commitment, but at the same time would probably cause a horrible mess both in the manager's in tray and the OP's living room. Furthermore, it cannot be ignored that this stratagem could only be used twice, before the OP would have to resort to other body parts. For example, 'please give me a hand to get the job' could be a worthwhile avenue to explore albeit that accomplishing the writing of the CV might then be impeded.

All in all I'm tempted to say that while prima facie your idea has subtlety as well as a certain cunning, the OP should beware and perhaps send something more anodyne. Why not a muffin basket, or some happy kittens?
    I see what you're saying, and you've addressed the rather obvious and horrific consequences of addressing the technicality.

It's supposed to be light hearted and of course a way to differentiate and be memorable. I read about a guy who did it once (to be fair it was for a creative agency or something similar) and he landed the job after interview.

ReputationRep:
    There's also that!
    I think your best bet is to just continue applying online. There's so many people applying for the same roles that I guess they can't reply to everyone. It does get frustrating though when you don't receive any news whatsoever.

Is there anybody you know that could get you a foot in the door? I have been very lucky with mine, even though they have all been part time jobs.
    My first job I got through my friend as she put in a word for me, and the second job the manager came into my old work and asked me to apply

Also, have you thought of getting somebody to look at your CV? There could be room for improvement or things you are not highlighting enough that will make you stand out from others
    iv been applying on every website that has jobs available to be honest mate, either they don't get back to me or I go for an interview and never hear from them again lol. I sent my friend my cv he said if there is any jobs available the manager will get in contact. I haven't got anyone to look at the CV to be honest where can I get it checked out buddy ? thanks

ReputationRep:
    iv been applying on every website that has jobs available to be honest mate, either they don't get back to me or I go for an interview and never hear from them again lol. I sent my friend my cv he said if there is any jobs available the manager will get in contact. I haven't got anyone to look at the CV to be honest where can I get it checked out buddy ? thanks

That's a start then
    I know places like connections/job centre can check your CV for you, or if not there are websites that will do it for you. When I was in college, I applied for work experience by purely emailing psychologists ect and one actually emailed me back saying they were no longer a psychologist, but worked abroad in recruitment and redrafted my CV for me and sent it back

For jobs, if you download the indeed job app on your phone it's really good. Much better than the website and includes graduate jobs along with undergraduate jobs.

ReputationRep:

You're welcome.
    That's actually not a bad idea
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I haven't got anyone to look at the CV to be honest where can I get it checked out buddy ? thanks
    The TSR CV Help forum?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.