Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the luxury life overrated? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean at one point i kept thinking that one day il be able to buy what ever whenever i want,but now i come to realized that there are other was to actually live and enjoy life without these things.

I see all these students saving up their minimum wages or spending their grant money just to shop in Harrods or selfridges..renting nice cars for the weekend and i wonder is it all worth it when you can finally afford it?

Anyway i just wanted to know peoples views on this....

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be able to afford nice things, but I like saving up my money and buying them outright - knowing that I've worked hard for what I have. Sure it'd be easy to be able to afford everything I wanted but I doubt I'd appreciate it all as much as I do now.

ReputationRep:
    I think materialism is overrated.

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    buying £1000 jackets and stuff is overrated

going on holiday 6 times+ a year to exotic locations is not overrated

ReputationRep:
    I like to wear quality clothes but at the same time, I don't splurge out on crazy brands. All my Jeans are Calvin Klein (bought it from TK Maxx ) Levis and Wrangler but I see them more as an investment than something that's "luxury".

ReputationRep:
    No. I'd rather have nice things than ****

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    I like to wear quality clothes but at the same time, I don't splurge out on crazy brands. All my Jeans are Calvin Klein (bought it from TK Maxx ) Levis and Wrangler but I see them more as an investment than something that's "luxury".
    Pretty much this. I don't spend like, £200 on a top (although I'm guilty of spending more than double on handbags...) but I will buy good quality clothes that looks nice, fits better and is quality

ReputationRep:
    In the words of Spike Milligan, 'all I ask is the chance to prove money can't make me happy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BritBoyWonder)
    I mean at one point i kept thinking that one day il be able to buy what ever whenever i want,but now i come to realized that there are other was to actually live and enjoy life without these things.

I see all these students saving up their minimum wages or spending their grant money just to shop in Harrods or selfridges..renting nice cars for the weekend and i wonder is it all worth it when you can finally afford it?

Anyway i just wanted to know peoples views on this....
    Grant money in Harrods? I don't think it would go far. Maybe a packet of tea and some biccies. :rolleyes:

Some aspects of luxury living are absurd - I always laugh a little at super-rich people in London, some of the things they waste cash on are just ridiculous - extravagant items of conspicuous consumption.

Having nice, well fitting clothes that are well made - that's different. Having a good home to live in, with all bills met and a decent car to drive that is well maintained and safe - different again.

There's a big difference between wasteful luxury and highly desirable quality.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't really want to buy things for the brand, but I would like to be able to buy what I like. For example, there are averaged priced items in H&M that I'd like to buy, but I can't buy them all because I don't have the money to, so I limit myself to only 3 or 4 items at once, when I could be buying all 10 that I've tried on and loved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just getting given the cash, e.g. from parents would be nice, but doesn't really make me as proud as earning it my self would, then again if my parents bought me a yacht, I wouldn't be complaining....

ReputationRep:
    Overrated. But objects that we want CAN make us happy because they are pretty etc. -in moderation, and provided that they have a purpose in our lives. But true happiness-to me anyways, and i hope this is for everyone too-comes in experiences/from earning them.
    I'd love to hear more about this as I understand that position yet am against it, though I would be lying if I said that I saw something nice someone had and didn't wish I had something as well made as that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickfloss)
    buying £1000 jackets and stuff is overrated

going on holiday 6 times+ a year to exotic locations is not overrated
    My thoughts exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    My thoughts exactly
    Totally what I meant. Money=experiences/memories. THough seing how blinged out some people are, do some people think that money=things=richest way to live life? Or am I just being ignorant>

ReputationRep:
    This discussion is pointless. 90% of the people on this forum will never make more than 50k a year,
    95% will never make more than 80k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xox_em)
    Totally what I meant. Money=experiences/memories. THough seing how blinged out some people are, do some people think that money=things=richest way to live life? Or am I just being ignorant>
    It seems quite a few people think this, although I really don't have expensive taste, so that life just doesn't appeal to me at all. I just want to experience the world as I find memories far more important than excessive material possessions.

ReputationRep:
    No. It's the small things. I like having a nice pair of leather shoes, a good cup of coffee, a plan, and a bit of spending money. Meanwhile my friends who have already graduated the program I'm in are complaining they can't afford a third computer and a new motorcycle. Meanwhile they building a house. It's kind of ridiculous really.

ReputationRep:
    lol, people rent nice cars for the weekend? wow, thats kind of sad. Its like walking around with a wod of cash making people think you are rich, then throwing it in the river. To think of the amount of money that was spend on that rubbish idea, it could have be used to save lives and build futures in developing nations. Yeah sure, it is not expected that someone should go and deposit a lump sum of money like that to a charity, but if you are going to throw it around on a mediocre, everyday experience (a car is a car at the end of the day) then it is a classic example of more money than sense, and yeah, the thought of, 'what someone else could have done with that money' crosses the mind.

It isn't the same as someone going out any buying something that will last a while or even for an experience such climbing a mountain or something. But driving around in a car? lol, some people...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.