Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Problem Question on Murder watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Aran, aged 17, bore a grudge against Bob because Bob had stolen his girlfriend. In order to frighten Bob into leaving the girl-friend alone, Aran poured white spirit through Bob’s letter box and set fire to it at 1.00pm one afternoon. The liquid ignited and the fire spread rapidly throughout Bob’s flat, also causing adjoining flats to catch fire. Unfortunately, Bob’s girl-friend, Nicole, was asleep in the flat at the time. She was overcome by smoke and fainted. The fire was difficult to control and it was some time before Nicole could be rescued by which time she had virtually stopped breathing. Fireman Fred attempted to carry her to safety but he dropped her from a height of ten feet onto the pavement. She was eventually taken to hospital where a fractured skull was diagnosed. Nicole failed to regain consciousness and Doctor Gary switched off her life support machine seven days later. Discuss.

I need help on whether Fred or Dr. Gary would break the chain of causation for Arian's potential liability for homicide.

I thought not in both cases, but I am not sure and don't have any authority to back up my argument.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Anyone...?!

ReputationRep:
    no because it has to be an event to break the chain of events, for fred he would have had to been grossly negligent, he would have to either leave her in the fire or push her back into the house. As he was in the process of helping her, there are bound to be reasonable accidents, also the question would the fireman have dropped her had the fire not been lit. Further discuss the difficulty of medical negligence breaking the chain of events, as in it really does have to be grossly intervening short of the hospital shooting her in the head, potentially not even a morphine overdose would hold them liable.
    The question is not asking for cases discussing where the fireman and doc could be liable but is instead asking for which incidents they could be liable and comparing this situation with the ones where services and medical practitioners have been charged

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.