Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is having a nearby bank branch necessary/useful? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently looking into which bank to start a student bank account with but some of them do not have branches near to the uni i hope to go to. How necessary/useful is it to have a branch nearby? What would i use it for and how often do people (if at all) go into their branch for something?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever gone into my bank at uni because they mucked up getting me my free NUS card (it could have been sorted out the first time I went into the bank at home, but no, about 5 trips later they finally realised that they hadn't changed it to the right student one :|).
    But yeah, other than that, haven't needed to. I've got online banking to check stuff, plenty of free cash points about, and don't usually have money to pay in

ReputationRep:
    I had to use my uni-local branch quite a lot for a few months because it was registered with my home address so all my mail, cards, PIN etc were sent there (and my uni is 600miles away). Had to personally deposit money and set up standing orders etc which was a bit of a pain but had to be done.

Now that I had been home and collected my bank mail and stuff I've never stepped foot into it again. Online banking and an ATM is all you need really.

ReputationRep:
    The only time that I have struggled not having a bank near to my university (8 miles away) is when I needed a cheque to be sent abroad. Other than that i'd suggest just using internet banking.

ReputationRep:
    I use local branches quite a bit, there's still a fair bit one can't do online - especially dealing with cheques and for arranging larger payments. I imagine some people never go into a branch, though.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from depositing cheques most banking can be done online now so I wouldn't say it mattered too much if your uni didn't have a branch that near.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said having a physical branch near you isnt that much help any more as most of its electronic and its free banking [with regards to ATMs within the UK] Id go for the bank that gives the best returns on your money although seeing as how most of them are utterly aweful anyway having a nearby branch isnt to bad a reason...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.