The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
HagerVor
Not quite true, the main reason that we are living longer is that we have discovered how to care for our bodies... naturally, we've discovered the bodies needs.

Look at the Native Americans, or the Chinese/Japanese. Over the course of history the average age of natural death was a lot older than 40.

The only reason we died at 30/40 was lack of the knowledge of how to care for our bodies. e.g. i don't think many women use red mud contaminated with arsenic for make-up anymore.

Actually I'd disagree. If it was primarily down to caring for ourselves better, then we would have extended our useful life, not just our life. We haven't. Our bodies still don't cope with a 70+ year lifespan without artificial aid. Yes we care for our teeth better now and thus keep them longer, but very few 75 year olds still have all their original teeth. Even with caring for ourselves better, without antibiotics and modern medicine, our life expectancy would be much smaller.
Reply 81
I am surprised at how many people are suggesting abortion, not everyone wants to kill their child.
Reply 82
kirstinx
I am surprised at how many people are suggesting abortion, not everyone wants to kill their child.

Perhaps people are suggesting it as an option because the OP said, "WTF do i do? My whole life is disintergrating b4 my eyes...". Doesn't exactly sound happy about it, does he?

Frankly, I was surprised by how many people seem to think that having a baby at 16 is a good idea, but that's just me.
SO you stopped using condoms one month ago (thus she'd be 2 months gone) and then she went on the pill.....I hope if she is really pregnant that she's stopped taking it! DO you not believe that she is pregnant? Is she doing it to stop you going to uni....that's a rather selfish thing to you and the child. From what I know the tests you buy are most accurate than the ones at the dr's....so get her to do a home test 1st. Even if it is negative i'd still go to the dr's and use those condoms again as all she has to do is miss her pill once or twice again.......
Reply 84
amie
Perhaps people are suggesting it as an option because the OP said, "WTF do i do? My whole life is disintergrating b4 my eyes...". Doesn't exactly sound happy about it, does he?

Frankly, I was surprised by how many people seem to think that having a baby at 16 is a good idea, but that's just me.

I am not saying its a good idea, I am just saying that abortion isnt a great idea. Theres plenty of adults out there wanting babies of their own and looking to adopt a baby. Adoption would be much better than abortion.
Reply 85
Drogue
I'm not really saying anything, more than that the argument that because it was normal many years ago it's perfectly fine to do. I think even a well paid 16 year old in a stable job is not as good a parent, on average, as a well paid 26 year old in a stable job. Raising a child is partly about providing for them physically, and partly about raising a child mentally.

Since biologically having a child aged 16-20 isn't unnatural I would think that it is societies' fault for not providing. I am comfortable with waiting till my late 20's before I raise a kid but that doesn't hide the fact it's more our of financial necessity. I'm sure a 50 year old millionaire could provide better than I would even then (But that raises a whole load of 'ich' issues)!

That said, recent stories about very young pregnancies indeed are pushing the envelope.
Reply 86
To the OP: Even if she does have the baby, go to uni that way you will be able to provide a better future for the child.
Reply 87
kirstinx
I am not saying its a good idea, I am just saying that abortion isnt a great idea. Theres plenty of adults out there wanting babies of their own and looking to adopt a baby. Adoption would be much better than abortion.

I'm not saying you think it's a good idea, I'm saying I'm surprised by the number that do.

Your opinion is that adoption is better than abortion, but that's not for everyone. It's really down to the individual, and so I think that the OP should be given all of the available options, not just the ones that we think are 'best'.
Reply 88
kirstinx

But it Can be the right choice for some people. Were not trying to influence the OP, people are just sugessting the options at hand. Its up to him and his girlfriend wether they agree with them really.

From what I know the tests you buy are most accurate than the ones at the dr's....so get her to do a home test 1st

Are you sure about that? The doctors pregnancy test it probably one the most accurate, Home pregnancy tests can have some faults if used incorrectly etc.
Reply 89
Hanzing

Are you sure about that? The doctors pregnancy test it probably one the most accurate, Home pregnancy tests can have some faults if used incorrectly etc.

Apparently home tests can give false negatives, but they never give false positives.

Our science teacher's wife is pregnant, and the doctor didn't do a pregnancy test because it's a waste of money due to the accuracy of home ones. Nowadays, the first real test done by a medical person is when you go for your first scan!
Reply 90
amie

Condoms perhaps would've been something to think about... but as it's too late for that... tell the parents, as soon as you've taken the test, seen the little blue line and panicked for 20 minutes. They'll be able to give you some sensible advice... just don't expect them to be happy about it. My parents would kill me if I got pregnant and I'm 2 years older than you.

As for uni, there are plenty of flats for couples with children at uni. And you have the advantage of not having chosen your uni's yet (you won't do that until next academic year - even if you're looking round now.) If she decides to keep the child and you decide to be there and support her, you can always go to the same uni and take advantage of their childcare systems and stuff.

The main thing is to remember that your life has now changed forever, you will not be able to do the same things as your friends. You will never be able to go out every night and get hammered with your uni mates and you'll never be able to do anything dramatically spontaneous ever again (like going away for the weekend without planning it). However, you'll also have something that looks at you as if you are the bravest, more courageous person in the world, something that draws you pictures and proudly brings them home to display, something that in a couple of years says 'yeah, my dad's the coolest'.

So you've lost lots of things, but you're gaining something else that has the power to bring you more happiness than all the things ur missing out on. I don't want to come across as soppy or pathetic, but try and look on the bright side.

Maag x
Reply 91
maag101
Condoms perhaps would've been something to think about
As he's said, they did.
Reply 92
Speaking of applying for uni! Mention the kid in your PS and I'm sure all unis will feel sorry for you and offer you a place! If not, sue for discrimination. Ta da!
Reply 93
Talya
Speaking of applying for uni! Mention the kid in your PS and I'm sure all unis will feel sorry for you and offer you a place! If not, sue for discrimination. Ta da!

Well theres one way to go.. :P:
For a start, fi you're mature enough to have sex then you should be mature enough to understand that when you have sex without protection you will end up with something called a baby!!!
You need to talk to your g/f, so what if she isn't fussed, you are so sort it out!!! I can't even get my head round why you are on here now, get your arse over to your g/f and talk to her!
If you weren't ready for a lil sprog, why didn't she take the morning after pill? Or better still why didn't YOU wear a condom, if you're the one not wanting it so bad?
Reply 95
Er... they did use a condom. I suspect it broke.

Maagx
Reply 96
Clairehayz
For a start, fi you're mature enough to have sex then you should be mature enough to understand that when you have sex without protection you will end up with something called a baby!!!
You need to talk to your g/f, so what if she isn't fussed, you are so sort it out!!! I can't even get my head round why you are on here now, get your arse over to your g/f and talk to her!
If you weren't ready for a lil sprog, why didn't she take the morning after pill? Or better still why didn't YOU wear a condom, if you're the one not wanting it so bad?

If you're going to post something like that, at least read the thread first to check you make some sense.
it's what I was told....by a nurse too. as a friend of mine went to the dr thought she was pregnant they said she wasn't but she'd already done 5 at home (yes they were trying for a baby for a long time!) and the nurse there said that theirs arent as accurate....ahh well it doesn't really matter just as long as he finds out if she is or isn't......
You really need to talk to your girlfriend about the consequences of having a child at 16. Sure, she may be against abortion, but there are other options as previous posters have mentioned, such as adoption.

Also, she might not want to abort the baby because of the emotional stress involved post-abortion. You need to reassure her that you will be there for her to help her through and post decision. If she is 12 weeks pregnant and can get an abortion quickly, it will involve vacuum aspiration under general anaesthetic which is very quick (10 minutes) and as she'll be asleep, she won't even be aware of the procedure. It will be a traumatic experience, but so will caring for a baby without any kind of planning or funds.

Are you sure she is pregnant? If she has just been experiencing stomach pains and missed periods, there is a chance it could be something else. Other illnesses often affect the menstrual cycle so make sure she does the test with you present. (There is a chance she will put off doing the test because of the realisation that she is pregnant, but still assume anyway).

It is a good idea to go to a doctor or family planning clinic to have the test done - it is very reassuring to have someone there at the time who can explain all the options and if termination is wanted - get things moving as quickly as possible.

Good luck.
I read the thread, and if he used protection and it broke why hasn't he said?
All he said was there were pre-cautions.

Latest

Trending

Trending