Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is an emergency;
    I spent over two days writing up my essay due in tomorrow. I reached 1500 words and I sent it to myself last night via Hotmail so that when I get home I could work on it.
    I didn't do anything at home (didn't even open it up!) so I just left it sitting on my hotmail.
    I opened it up at uni, and spent the past three hours finishing it up and I saved it and closed it so that I could send it to myself again
    Now, when I was on Hotmail getting ready to send it to myself, I couldn't find it! It's not on My Documents - the only version is the first version I had with only the introduction, not the edited and nearly finished version!!
    Please help, guys. I can't do this all over again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    This is an emergency;
    I spent over two days writing up my essay due in tomorrow. I reached 1500 words and I sent it to myself last night via Hotmail so that when I get home I could work on it.
    I didn't do anything at home (didn't even open it up!) so I just left it sitting on my hotmail.
    I opened it up at uni, and spent the past three hours finishing it up and I saved it and closed it so that I could send it to myself again
    Now, when I was on Hotmail getting ready to send it to myself, I couldn't find it! It's not on My Documents - the only version is the first version I had with only the introduction, not the edited and nearly finished version!!
    Not so reckless now are you?

ReputationRep:
    peak times for u!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    Not so reckless now are you?
    It's a song lyric; it's by no means a reflection of my personality.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You managed to do 1,500 words in 2 days? Wish I could do that :/

As for your question, I'm afraid you may have to start again. It's happened to me before and it's a depressing thing to do but you just gotta get through it.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    This is an emergency;
    Are you sure it didn't open in another folder such as downloads? Check through every folder to make sure. I hope you find it!

ReputationRep:
    If you did it at uni its very possible you've saved it to the desktop and not your personal folder.
    If this is true then you'll find it very hard (if not impossible) to get it back.
    Go back onto the same computer you used at uni and see if its there, if not, you'll just have to do it again.
    Surely you'll remember most of what you've written anyway?

ReputationRep:
    try resending yourself another document, open it up and go to save as - it might show you where downloaded files automatically save (and where the essay has saved to)

ReputationRep:
    This is an emergency;
    check the drafts folder?

ReputationRep:
    open word and it should show the recent doc you had open

ReputationRep:
    This is an emergency;
    Don't worry there should be an auto recover version of the document. Just Follow Method 3 on this page and if that doesn't work try method 4: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827099

ReputationRep:
    This is an emergency;
    Check on downloads. When you send it to yourself you download the file from the Email, and so it will would have saved on Downloads!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    You managed to do 1,500 words in 2 days? Wish I could do that :/

You must work slow, most people can blast that out in half a day let alone 2.

ReputationRep:
    This is an emergency;
    This happened to me with one of my essays - it may be that the attachment (I am assuming you sent it as attachment) may have been assigned a temporary reference number - and is on a different drive of your computer.

Can you do a search on your computer for within a document - and what about your uni account - can you access it from home. Get uni IT to help you with this. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    You must work slow, most people can blast that out in half a day let alone 2.
    I guess I do. I just start in advance and do it slowly. A slow, well thought through and well structured essay is better than one rushed out in half a day.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I do. I just start in advance and do it slowly. A slow, well thought through and well structured essay is better than one rushed out in half a day.
    1500 words wouldn't be rushed in half a day. If you do ~10wpm (most people can type a good deal faster than this, but it factors in thinking time), that would be 600 words per hour, so 1500 would take about 2 and a half hours. Add an extra hour or so for editing and polishing, and you're done in well under half a day.

This is what always irritated me about school coursework. You were given 4-5 months to write 3-4000 words, so for procrastinators like me, it was a nightmare. Knowing that it would only take me a day or two to actually write the thing, I'd end up leaving it until the last minute, and then feeling stressed about it. Obviously you need time to research and plan it, but it's hardly good preparation for University or the world of work to give you so much time for so little work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrogInABog)
    1500 words wouldn't be rushed in half a day. If you do ~10wpm (most people can type a good deal faster than this, but it factors in thinking time), that would be 600 words per hour, so 1500 would take about 2 and a half hours. Add an extra hour or so for editing and polishing, and you're done in well under half a day.

This is what always irritated me about school coursework. You were given 4-5 months to write 3-4000 words, so for procrastinators like me, it was a nightmare. Knowing that it would only take me a day or two to actually write the thing, I'd end up leaving it until the last minute, and then feeling stressed about it. Obviously you need time to research and plan it, but it's hardly good preparation for University or the world of work to give you so much time for so little work...
    Ok so if I was writing a 1,500 word essay:

Plan: I'd first do a plan and so some research. I would spend at least a couple of hours doing this.
    Introduction: introduction is largely thought as one of the most poinant parts of the essay and therefore I would spend at least an hour doing a rough draft for this section.
    Main Body: I would spend at least a week doing this. Firstly thinking of a particular argument and then researching into this argument.
    Conclusion: probably the easiest part of the essay and this would take me less than a couple of hours.

Now, I think it's absolutely possible to do an essay in half a day. Maybe I should have worded it better. I should have said, 'it would be almost impossible for me to write a good essay in half a day'.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so if I was writing a 1,500 word essay:

Plan: I'd first do a plan and so some research. I would spend at least a couple of hours doing this.
    Introduction: introduction is largely thought as one of the most poinant parts of the essay and therefore I would spend at least an hour doing a rough draft for this section.
    Main Body: I would spend at least a week doing this. Firstly thinking of a particular argument and then researching into this argument.
    Conclusion: probably the easiest part of the essay and this would take me less than a couple of hours.

Now, I think it's absolutely possible to do an essay in half a day. Maybe I should have worded it better. I should have said, 'it would be almost impossible for me to write a good essay in half a day'.
    Obviously if you've done zero research it's going to take you longer, but if you got all your material and planned it out, you can write good quality 1, 500 in half a day easy.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.