Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    New Zealand MP's Gay Marriage Speech Goes Viral

A day after New Zealand legalises gay marriage, an MP's impassionate defence of the bill draws roars of laughter in parliament.

An MP's hilarious yet touching speech in New Zealand's parliament about legislation that legalised same-sex marriage in the country has become an internet hit.

MP Maurice Williamson poked fun at those who opposed the legislation - which was approved on Wednesday - leaving colleagues in fits of giggles.

"I've had a reverend in my local electorate say, 'The gay onslaught will start the day this law is passed,'" Mr Williamson said.

"Well, we are struggling to know what the gay onslaught will look like. We don't know whether it will come down the Pakuranga Highway as a series of troops or whether it will be a gas that flows in over the electorate that blocks us all in."

He continued: "I also had a Catholic priest tell me I was supporting an unnatural act. I found that quite interesting coming from someone who has taken an oath of celibacy for his whole life.

"I haven't done it so I don't know what it's about."

Found it quite funny in some parts :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic, haven't heard anyone say it just as well as that before.

Amazing Revision procrastination has now been justified.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent! Gotta love those kiwis

ReputationRep:
    I'm just surprised Australia isnt following suit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.