The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

After working out mine, I get roughly £200 for each week I'm at uni provided I get my grades. :hide:
Original post by CelticSymphony67
No. Because of how much you are paying back, and there is a strong possibility that you will not actually pay it all back in the long run. Don't get me wrong, if your Dad has saved up his money and he wants to pay for your tuition, then that his prerogative. I think he could better use his money for you, ie. a large deposit for a house when you are earning after your degree.

I must also stress, that I am in a position to pay for my tuition fees in full for my degree, however, I'm not doing because I don't see the point, due to the reasons I have put above.

We can also afford to do that. My parents save all of my dad's salary as we can live off my mums

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AndyBoughton
We can also afford to do that. My parents save all of my dad's salary as we can live off my mums

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. You are in a very fortunate position. The only thing I'll remind you of though, is that they will pay only 9% of your Net Salary, and only after you earn £21k a year and student loans are wiped 30 years after graduation. Like I said before though, it is your Dads money, and if he wants to do that, then that is fine.
my parents are giving me 200 pounds a month (they arent paying for anything else though).

so thats about 25 a week? so that means i can get food (i dont eat much haha) and books and the essentials. i also dont drink alcohol (maybe once a month?) so thats abit more money in my pocket. obviously if can do 100 a month id tell my parents so they can keep their money :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by megfashion
my parents are giving me 200 pounds a month (they arent paying for anything else though).

so thats about 25 a week? so that means i can get food (i dont eat much haha) and books and the essentials. i also dont drink alcohol (maybe once a month?) so thats abit more money in my pocket. obviously if can do 100 a month id tell my parents so they can keep their money :smile:

You don't know how good it is to see someone on here appreciating the help they get from parents and not trying to get every penny out of them!
I'd say I'm the same with the alcohol so I'm hoping my loan&grant will be enough! (Parents can't afford to help my financially!)
I am sorry but can someone tell me how this uni finance works? Do you mean the loan that you have to pay back later or is this something different?
Reply 186
Original post by forever888
I am sorry but can someone tell me how this uni finance works? Do you mean the loan that you have to pay back later or is this something different?

Everyone is entitled to a tuition loan...then there's a maintenance loan that you can apply for (dependant upon family income as to how much you can receive) and then there's a grant, which you don't have to pay back, but that again, is assessed on family income
The grant and/or maintenance loan are the ones used for you to live on eg accommodation, travel and food, which is what we're on about here
(edited 10 years ago)
mum & dads flat so they're paying for energy bills and mortgage, will have about £400 a month from my part time job for everything else and like £80 a month from SAAS.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 188
What is max if you get full grant and loan? My daughter qualifies for £3825 loan and no grant. Accomodation is £127 per week. - just over £5000 I think. I was thinking of making up her amount in total to £9000. She won't be able to work because her course has large practical element. Do you think this is over generous?
Reply 189
Original post by CRIKEY12
What is max if you get full grant and loan? My daughter qualifies for £3825 loan and no grant. Accomodation is £127 per week. - just over £5000 I think. I was thinking of making up her amount in total to £9000. She won't be able to work because her course has large practical element. Do you think this is over generous?

It's up to you, I'd say she'd need a minimum of £8000 altogether! I get £7177 (or something like that) for having a low income family. That is the maximum amount able to be given to someone (without a bursary or anything from the uni itself).
My accommodation is around £109 a week, coming to just over £5000 for the year (obviously hers is £18 above mine so you'd have to bare that in mind) and I've then worked it out that for my 44 week university year, I'll be living off about £45 a week with the money left over after accommodation (without savings and income from a job), which I think sounds manageable with what others have said.
It'll also depend on where she's studying though as some cities are considerably more expensive to live in (eg travel/going out)
Original post by CRIKEY12
I'm going back as a Mature Student in September, and I'm getting £7500 for the year. I actually think it is a quite generous. I don't drink, smoke and I have paid the mortgage on my house, plus I will be Council Tax Exempt for the next three years. I went to University for one year in 2000 before having to leave the course and for the year I received £2800, which was a nightmare to live on.
Reply 191
I'm going back as a Mature Student in September, and I'm getting £7500 for the year. I actually think it is a quite generous. I don't drink, smoke and I have paid the mortgage on my house, plus I will be Council Tax Exempt for the next three years. I went to University for one year in 2000 before having to leave the course and for the year I received £2800, which was a nightmare to live on.

How are you getting £7500? I'm getting just over £7000, with maximum amounts!
I get the the following:

Maintenance Grant: £3354
Maintenance Loan: £4155

Total: £7509
Reply 193
I get the the following:

Maintenance Grant: £3354
Maintenance Loan: £4155

Total: £7509

Does your loan not go down when you get the full grant??
Mine did, meaning that I get just over £7000
Or could it be due to your age or where you're studying or something?
The loan would have been around the £5900 mark if I was not eligible for the grant (I think). I will be 32 years old when I start the course, and it is running for 39 weeks in the first year, so you get a bit extra on the loan if the course year runs slightly longer. I do think that the whole grant and loan system in this country is good, but there are some strange anomalies in the system with regards to the grant. I will say though, that this new system is a lot better than the old system which they had back in 2000.
Reply 195
Are people working out their budget week for the time you'll actually be at uni- i.e. not easter, summer and xmas.... or for the whole year?!?!

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by Bobbi!
Are people working out their budget week for the time you'll actually be at uni- i.e. not easter, summer and xmas.... or for the whole year?!?!

I've worked mine out for the 44 week period that my accommodation contract is, so I've excluded summer, but counted christmas and easter
Reply 197
Original post by Bobbi!

I've worked mine out for the whole year since i'm going to stay in the city.
Original post by gemmatovey
You don't know how good it is to see someone on here appreciating the help they get from parents and not trying to get every penny out of them!
I'd say I'm the same with the alcohol so I'm hoping my loan&grant will be enough! (Parents can't afford to help my financially!)

yer, my parents have to help out my grandparents as much they can so id rather the money go there :smile: plus my grandpa has given me 1000 pounds for university or whatever after a levels, so thats good to have on a rainy day :smile:

my maintenance loan doesnt even cover accomodation! i have to cough up 600 pounds more than what my maintenance loan gives me. i am going to be working all of summer to do that :P
I will tell you all how I'm going to budget for University. I have opened a Savings Account with my bank and I'm having my loan and grant paid into that. Once I get the first instalment, which will be around £2500, I will then divide that into 17 weeks (which takes me to my second instalment date). This will work out at £147 a week, and then I will set up a Standing Order and have that money paid into my Current Account. So it will be like I will be getting a weekly wage.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending