Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm studying Business&management at Aston Uni in undergrad (I'm first year).

I'm seeking for advice as to whether I should change uni (in this case Bristol) in order to have a greater chance to be considered, for my Master, in unis like LSE/Warwick/UCL.

Does the uni reputation/ranking REALLY count? I'm doing pretty well at Aston (2:1 after winter exam, being an EU student. Getting a 1st is surely a possibility), but is it enough?

Thanks in advance for your answers

ReputationRep:
    I went from undergrad at a former poly to a Masters at a Russell Group. It shouldn't be an issue for you. A 2:1 or a First will get your foot through the door of most unis, although for places like LSE and UCL, a First would be your best shot at looking competitive.

ReputationRep:
    You can definitely make it, it's mostly up to your average grade (a first would be better) and cv/extracurriculars

ReputationRep:
    It has to be said that in the UK, extracurricular activities don't seem to have much bearing on a Masters application. Mine was focussed on my dissertation research outline. I don't remember being asked at any point in the application, about activities beyond my academic endeavours.

ReputationRep:
    Good to know Klix88, thanks.

Now I feel a bit confused.. Do you think that a year in the industry gives a significant/valuable extra interest to my application?

Also, is NOT being in the Russell group AND low ranked compared to the universities I will apply to for my master will penalize me in comparison to students who come from russell group unis?

ReputationRep:
    I definitely think that industry experience in your Masters field would be valuable. I was thinking more of the "hobby" and volunteering side of extra-curricular activity - things like being on a sports team, doing community work or holding a Student Union post. Activities like that weren't even asked about on my Masters application (that's not to say that they're all the same of course).

There were five people on my Masters course. Three were from Russell Group undergrad courses and two from ex-polys. Honestly, if you're the right person for the course, then you'll get a place. In my experience you won't be at a disadvantage. My undergrad uni was way below my Masters uni in the league tables. Made no difference that I could see.

A strong idea of what you want your Masters dissertation to cover, will go a long way - even if it's just a rough outline. It also helps to think ahead and make sure there's someone in the faculty with a specific interest in your planned topic. I've seen Masters dissertations supervised by people with no interest in the subject and whilst it's possible, it was painful for all concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you again Klix88, its nice to see that my condition won't be purely based on reputation..

May I ask you what you studied at undergrad and postgrad and where?

Thanks in advance!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.