Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Worth going to the dentist? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Now before any of you mention this I know I am a wally and I'm still unsure how I managed to do this in the first place but any personal experiences of this or help is much appreciated.

Basically the other day I was walking home from work eating some chips and all of a sudden my lower canine on my right side proper bit into the top canine on the right enough for me to stop in my tracks and bend double. I heard a grind/crunch sound and thought I had actually 'bitten' my own tooth out. It seemed to still be in place but was incredibly sensitive and I couldn't eat on that side through the pain or breathe through my mouth as the cold made it extremely sensitive and painful.

This happened 2 nights ago and despite it getting a little better I'm worried as now whenever it becomes sensitive or I knock it its like nerve pain coming from my roots, and I know how delicate they are. I'm worried I may have damaged the root and so the nerve.

I just have the words 'root canal' flashing through my mind and although I have had it done recently on another tooth I would rather not have it done again. But I also think I'll get there and the dentist will just say take paracetamol for the pain we can't do anything :P

Now I know I shouldn't panic as lots of people get teeth knocked out every day and live with it, It would be a really stupid story as to how I lost my tooth though, and TBH I like my canine it is useful when chewing food :P

Anyone else knocked a tooth and been like this? Could use some advice Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Go to the dentist. It's no big deal, it'll probably either be bruising or you might need a small filling. I can see no benefit in not going to the dentist in this scenario!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Go to the dentist. It's no big deal, it'll probably either be bruising or you might need a small filling. I can see no benefit in not going to the dentist in this scenario!
    Hehe to be honest it's just wondering if it really is nothing and I should just take painkillers and hope it settles down rather than spend £17.50 just for them to tell me that :P obviously if it gets worse I'll go but I'm just wondering if anyone else had this happen and is the nerve pain a warning sign? Thanks for the reply though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.